What are your favorite spacecraft, real or fictional.

sramirez2008

For me it's a tie between Skylab and the Apollo Lunar Excursion Module (L.E.M.). I always liked the look of Skylab and it was the Space Station for most of my childhood. As for fictional, I have to go with the Eagle from Space 1999. I wonder what @TrekMD will choose? 😉

Spacecraft.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008
Spelling.

Well, this is a topic I really, really, really like!  My choice is the USS Odyssey from Stargate-SG1, which looks the same a the USS George Hammond pictured below.  Why?  Well for one in can traverse galaxies, unlike the Star Trek ships.  It's built "in present time" (yes I know it's fiction) and it has the most advanced shields and weapons, the legacy of the Asgard a which was technologically thousands of years ahead of us.

GeorgeHammond.jpg.9ada292cb75d5228240dbd5f975079aa.jpg

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

No other fictional space ship tugs at my heart like the Yamato from the original series. I can hear the soundtrack playing in my head as I type this. I read the manga during the 70s in Korea and watched Star Blazers in the US during the early 80s.

image.jpeg.c6ca4948789958ca9ec1a140039888c1.jpeg

Saturn V was the first real space craft that I was exposed to most as a kid. Seeing the launch footages on TV was always mesmerizing and never got old.

image.jpeg.7270fcc34b2550b7a5e2e69dab424606.jpeg

At the NASA museum in Houston, they let you go inside a shuttle prototype and it is super cool.

Houston Johnson Space Center NASA 023.JPG

And then of course they have a real Apollo command module (Apollo 17).  Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I reached across the stanchion and touched it.  I felt compelled to do it. 
Houston Johnson Space Center NASA 076.JPG

But my all-time favorite is this one.  They call it the most famous ship in all of human history.  I will admit to standing and staring at the real McCoy for a long long time at the Smithsonian.  It is mesmerizing.

20160628_121125.jpg

13 hours ago, socrates63 said:

No other fictional space ship tugs at my heart like the Yamato from the original series.

It’s a nice ship. I used to watch this anime series along with Battle of the Planets (G-Force: Guardians of Space). I really liked the G-Force Phoenix.

I have to admit that the Saturn V is pretty special to me too. I had several models of it and the Estes model rocket version. That was a cool model rocket. My cousin actually had a Space Shuttle model rocket. 

Edited by sramirez2008

3 hours ago, RickR said:

But my all-time favorite is this one.  They call it the most famous ship in all of human history.  I will admit to standing and staring at the real McCoy for a long long time at the Smithsonian.  It is mesmerizing.

20160628_121125.jpg

The last time I went to the Air & Space Museum, the Enterprise was hanging from the rafters. I spent my summers during middle school in DC, visiting with my Uncle and would spend many hours in the museum. The Enterprise was always there, so when I took my older son on trip to DC, I made sure to visit the museum so he could see it. This would have been ~2005/2006. He couldn't believe they had the orginal model.

Btw, their Wright Brothers exhibition is something else. The Air and Space Muesum is a favorite of mine. 

https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedia-gallery/11595hjpg

Edited by sramirez2008

11 hours ago, TrekMD said:

The Yamato is a cool ship!  Love that series.  Have you watched the modernized versions?  Yamato 2199 and Yamato 2205?  As for real ships, this one has to be special to me...

SpaceShuttleEnterprise.jpg.ced3769dc7a103157b81ff766ca97d3e.jpg

SpaceShuttleEnterprise2.jpg.66f058ed7deb6002fea25e855c5dbb7f.jpg

I have 2199 and 2205 series but haven't watched them yet. I am waiting until I rewatch the original series 🙂

I didn't realize Gene and the cast visited the shuttle. So the Enterprise NASA space shuttle was named after the USS Enterprise NCC-1701? Seeing this photo, I did a quick search and found this article on NASA's website. The shuttle was named after the NCC-1701! That's really cool and even neater to read about Star Trek's relationship to NASA and the show's influence. We need more shows like it that inspires generations to push for better human culture.

On 9/24/2023 at 9:56 PM, TrekMD said:

I've seen the Russian shuttle design before and it does look good.  There are videos on YouTube of these abandoned shuttles.  This is one of the most recent videos...

Great Video. :3 Buran is a beauty even in old age.

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021