Squad Challenge - R-Type (Sega Master System)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

R-TYPE
Sega Master System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / CONTROL STICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: DEFAULT
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST October 31, 2023
Nominated by @Atari 5200 Guy and @Justin

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between October 1st through October 31st, 2023. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, officially released compilation, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds, updated and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

DEFAULT. There are no difficulty settings in R-TYPE on the Sega Master System. Press Button 1 to start the game.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other dishonest advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 150th Squad Challenge! This month we're playing R-TYPE on the Sega Master System! Special thanks to @Atari 5200 Guy for nominating this game! ROM and PDF Instructions are attached below. A note about ROMs in High Score Squad: as the Atari landscape is quickly changing, we won't always be able to attach a ROM file for High Score Squad Challenges in the future. I will always do my best to include the best PDF Instructions available, and a ROM when possible. If you ever have trouble locating a ROM and need one, you can always PM one of us and we can help point you in the right direction. Good luck!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

R-Type.sms R-Type.pdf

It looks like the Genesis Everdrive has support for the SMS ROMs right away. I thought you had to do something to it in the firmware to make it run like a Sega Power Base Converter. That's what I meant, if there was some special trick to get the SMS ROMs to play on the Genesis with it. Maybe you don't. I never worked with Everdrives, but I am sure someone here has and will show people how to do it. I remember reading about that as well. It's very intriguing that you can play SMS games on a 16-bit system like that.

@DegasElite I just loaded the ROMs on the SD card, and R-Type is working without any fiddling. I am using the Mega Everdrive X5 on my Genesis. The only trouble I had was not being able to get my 8bitdo M30 controller to work with the game. I swapped it out for my Arcade Power Stick, and that is working fine.

Posting my first ever SMS game play with a mediocre 31,000 😂 Gotta start somewhere

IMG_0972.jpeg.5cdb7a4ad0f118d07907428613fd2f9f.jpeg

35,200.  I busted out a brand new (repro) Genesis controller.  This game is good on the SMS, but it could really use autofire like on TG16!  Ouch, my thumb!!!

I'm playing on a Retron 3 with a Everdrive cart.  And I can confirm that GG games *do* work on the Everdrive cart for Genesis...although the colors are very wonky.  I'll need to test more. 

PXL_20231009_223134305.MP.jpg

PXL_20231009_223154101.jpg

Edited by RickR

On 10/1/2023 at 9:38 PM, DegasElite said:

It looks like the Genesis Everdrive has support for the SMS ROMs right away. I thought you had to do something to it in the firmware to make it run like a Sega Power Base Converter. That's what I meant, if there was some special trick to get the SMS ROMs to play on the Genesis with it. Maybe you don't. I never worked with Everdrives, but I am sure someone here has and will show people how to do it. I remember reading about that as well. It's very intriguing that you can play SMS games on a 16-bit system like that.

I had one of those power base converters for my model 1 genesis years ago.  Out of curiosity I took it apart because it did not feel like much was in there.  Sure enough not much.  Mostly just circuitry to adapt the sms cart design to the genesis hardware.  I believe the carts themselves are the same size for both systems. Regardless I did not find any sms specific ICs in the converter that I can remember.

17 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Out of curiosity I took it apart because it did not feel like much was in there.

That's a really good point @Atari 5200 Guy. I had a Power Base Converter that I inherited from a friend, but I always used the Master System power base to play games. The Power Base Converter felt very light to me. I've never found a photo of a Power Base Converter disassembled, but I know in other regions where the Master System was more popular, there was a "Power Base Converter II" cartridge available - it was a basic cartridge adapter that fit both the Genesis model 1 and 2, and converted Master System cartridges for play on the Genesis.

Someone else is making Power Base Converters and the PCBs look so simple and clean, it makes me think the Genesis is able to handle playing Master System games almost entirely on their own. And if that's the case, it makes me wonder why they didn't just go all the way and make the Genesis play Master System and Game Gear games, or why Game Gear didn't use a modernized version of the Sega Card and let those play in all systems, similar to the TurboGrafx-16 HuCards and TurboExpress:

Hello High Score Squad
The rules state No Enhancements are allowed.
This game is one of the FM audio games for Sega Master System. Would using FM audio be considered an Enhancement? 
Are we allowed to use FM audio?
The FM audio & regular audio are both contained in the game cart.
Great game choice this month. I look forward to giving it my best!

I think the word enhancement here means use of a cheating device or method e.g.; a Game Genie or Gameshark.  If it’s in the game as a normal feature then I would not consider it an enhancement.

The idea is to enjoy game using default settings or settings required in the first post with the rules.  Enhancements would be something that gives invincibility or unlimited life.  In game audio enhancements that are officially part of the game I wouldn’t consider enhancements.

On 10/19/2023 at 10:30 PM, OniDensetsu said:

Hello High Score Squad

Konnichiwa @OniDensetsu!

The rules state No Enhancements are allowed.

Correct 🙃

This game is one of the FM audio games for Sega Master System

This is true. This is how Sega originally released the game in its stock retail form that you could buy from the store.

Would using FM audio be considered an Enhancement? 

No, FM audio would not be considered an Enhancement. The FM audio was built into the cartridge and does not affect gameplay or scoring.

Are we allowed to use FM audio?
The FM audio & regular audio are both contained in the game cart.

Sure!

"Using enhancements" refers to playing the game (ROM) in a way which modifies it from its stock retail form as originally released, in a way that would affect gameplay or scoring. An example of an "enhancement" would be using a Game Genie or Pro Action Replay to alter gameplay, using emulation to achieve the same enhancements as a Game Genie or alter gameplay speed (to slow down or speed up the game) anything to alter scoring, using a "Rewind" feature, etc., or playing a hacked or modified cartridge such as "Centipede TB" for Atari 2600 gives the cartridge gameplay abilities not originally included at retail, which is likely not widely available to everybody else playing.

In the case of R-TYPE, Sega included the FM Audio capability when the cartridge was sold. Additionally, it does not affect scoring or gameplay.

In the case of a game like Berzerk - Enhanced Edition for the 2600, we would likely allow that game to be included in a Berzerk Squad Challenge as that game is also using enhanced audio which does not affect gameplay or scoring, and like R-TYPE is now also an official release.

Using a rapid-fire controller is not considered an enhancement as the game itself is not altered. Most Squad Challenges say "PLAYERS CHOICE" for Controller, and unless stated otherwise, you can use whichever controller you choose.

Great game choice this month. I look forward to giving it my best!

GOOD LUCK! We look forward to seeing you join us with a High Score :wreck-it-ralph:

On 10/27/2023 at 6:51 PM, socrates63 said:

Whelp, I sucked at R-Type in the arcades and still stink at it at home 😂

IMG_1174.jpeg.83cb9b98b5c0283826dbfa46f3c3495b.jpeg

I voted for R-Type on the Master System for a few reasons.  The first reason is I was expecting to order the game and have it to play on real hardware.  That idea, however, has not happened.  Second, R-Type was one of those shumps that seems to have been forgotten about.  It has some neat power up features compared to the shumps Konami made famous (sheild, speed, missiles, options...etc...) plus the soundtrack is good.  Third....I played the SNES version of this game and I did not know that the Master System ever got it until recently.  I was curious about it.  I was shocked that the sounds I was hearing.  It's not a bad port for the SMS.  

So it doesn't matter how well you can play the game.  I have more fun seeing others discover the game with me.  That's why I pick games like this.  I'm going to try to join in this weekend. This game is fun!  Could use some turbo fire buttons, though.  I would have to invest in Genesis third-party controllers with turbos for this one.

@Atari 5200 Guy I'm happy to be playing R-Type but even happier that it's on the SMS. It's a system that I have no experience with, and while I don't have the console and an playing the game on my Genesis (via Everdrive), I completely agree that the fun of participating in these events to to try new things.

As far as R-Type goes, when I first saw it in the arcades, I was mesmerized by the art style which was very different from most other shoot-em-ups that took inspiration from anime and space opera manga.

On 10/9/2023 at 5:33 PM, RickR said:

35,200.  I busted out a brand new (repro) Genesis controller.  This game is good on the SMS, but it could really use autofire like on TG16!  Ouch, my thumb!!!

I'm playing on a Retron 3 with a Everdrive cart.  And I can confirm that GG games *do* work on the Everdrive cart for Genesis...although the colors are very wonky.  I'll need to test more. 

PXL_20231009_223134305.MP.jpg

PXL_20231009_223154101.jpg

I need to get hold of some of those everdrive carts.