Evercade "Atari" carts are moving to legacy status

RickR

An interesting update from Blaze regarding all of the Atari branded Evercade carts.  They are going legacy (no longer being produced).

From the article, with bold highlighting by me (the interesting stuff):

At the end of December 2023, our contract with Atari comes to an end. This has been an excellent partnership for Blaze Entertainment, including work pre-Evercade, and we’ve been very proud to bring these great games to you. A particular highlight for us was the first re-release of official Atari Lynx games with our cartridges, not only highlighting the strengths of the system but introducing it to many new retro gaming fans and whole new audiences that missed it the first time around.

With Atari now re-entering the retro gaming space, and Evercade having released as much of Atari’s available catalogue as we possibly could, it seems the best time to refocus our energies on new licenses across the 50 years of gaming our Evercade ecosystem covers. Therefore the following cartridges will be turning into legacy cartridges at the end of the year with stock still available from retailers for the foreseeable future:

More info here:  https://evercade.co.uk/cartridge-news-atari-carts-to-enter-legacy-status-at-end-of-2023/

It will probably be a great idea to hold on to those carts, as they should become collectible.  This is probably a good idea for a future Evercade thread -- a list of all carts that have gone legacy status.

3 hours ago, RickR said:

Pure speculation, but the comment about "Atari re-entering the retro gaming space" seems to indicate a much bigger presence than we've seen.  I would assume including focus on Lynx, Jaguar, 5200.  Atari 50 collection was just the beginning.  I hope. 

I'm hoping for:

• 4/5 Scale Atari XE with full-size keyboard and joystick - and 2 cartridge ports to play Atari 8-Bit Computer cartridges, and Atari 5200 cartridges
  • 4/5 Scale Atari Lynx II with a nice library of Lynx -and Jaguar- games playable on it

Six of the first ten Evercade carts are now "Legacy":

• Atari 1 & 2
  • Namco 1 & 2
  • Piko 1
  • Technos 1

Licensing is tricky.  Recall, the Namco collections were intentionally locked from play on the VS because Blaze's rights were for handheld only. 

With Atari 50 and the My Arcade products, there may be an oversaturation of collections based on Atari-owned IP.  Honestly, Lynx collections aside, I have not played any Atari collections other than Atari 50 since last November.  There really is no need.

What's interesting is that the games on the Lynx collections are mostly Songbird and Pixel Games UK (Epyx holder) titles. Maybe there is an opportunity for homebrew or third-party collections for Atari platforms?

4 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Licensing is tricky.

bingo.

5 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

With Atari 50 and the My Arcade products, there may be an oversaturation of collections based on Atari-owned IP.

Excellent point. I think it's a good sign that Atari is 1.) aware of this possibility, and 2.) acting on it. Not to mention almost 20 years of Flashbacks and Jakks Pacific joysticks floating around.

6 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Six of the first ten Evercade carts are now "Legacy":

• Atari 1 & 2
  • Namco 1 & 2
  • Piko 1
  • Technos 1

I think this makes the Eversphere more interesting to navigate and collect for. Suddenly there are cartridges that are out-of-production and will be more difficult to search out.

On 10/2/2023 at 2:04 PM, Justin said:

I hope Atari has plans for the Lynx. The Atari cartridges are a big part of what draws my interest to Evercade. I understand the situation, it's a shame though for Evercade players.

I believe there's a huge market for the Lynx. Used ones go for big bucks, and the Lynx games on the Atari50 release are a hit. 

11 hours ago, RickR said:

I like that little Taito console you have!

I love this thing! I have the VS, the Handheld and the EXP. This one is really easy to play the games when traveling or just taking it with you wherever. It has 18 built in games and it can play the carts too. There's a Capcom one available too. 

https://funstock.co.uk/products/hyper-mega-tech-taito-super-pocket