Berzerk: Recharged

sramirez2008

26 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I’m actually not a fan of the “look” of this game. A bit of a departure from the other Recharged games, but it appears to play well and that’s what’s most important. 🙂

I'm a Berzerk fan, the arcade one was great, the 5200 one okay, but the TI-99/4A version is awesome.  Now to me all the additions, changes, and extraneous crud all distracts from the game.  I'll pass on this one, it's not even the same game anymore.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

2 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

Haven't been let down by a recharged title yet!  Looking forward to this!

Missile Command was sort of a let down to me.  At some point you max out everything and can no longer buy or do anything with all the accumulated points.

MAX.png.f1f5debdb5f76cab7624b76be15426e8.png

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

11 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm not sure if this is still true, but I think owners of the old version got an auto-upgrade to the new for free. 

They made the price of the upgrade (2022) $6.99 instead of $9.99. This accounted for the $2.99 price of the 2020 version. The 2022 version brought Missile Command in line with the rest of the series.

Really, the 2020 version was conceived as mobile free-to-play and stands apart from every other title in the series. It laid some groundwork in terms of style, but Centipede: Recharged is truly the first game in the series.b

Edited by Sabertooth

image.png

Release Date: 11/9/23

Retail: $9.99

Developer(s): Sneakybox

Publisher: Atari

Official Site

Synopsis

In this reimagining of the 1980 arcade classic, Berzerk: Recharged challenges you to fight your way through a deadly maze filled with waves of menacing, vocal robots. Deft twin-stick control and power-ups are the only way to survive, as you shoot your way through room after room in this never-ending dystopian maze. And don’t forget, Evil Otto may have a smile on his face, but he is deadly and invincible. 

As with all Recharged games, you can chase a high score in arcade mode, or take on one of the many challenges the design team has hand-crafted to test your shooting and dodging skills. If things get too hard, you can always grab a friend to double your firepower in local- co-op.

Megan McDuffee’s original soundtrack of sci-fi synths captures the ambiance of a harrowing space station shootout – and a very cool 80s arcade.

Edited by Sabertooth

17 hours ago, MistaMaddog said:

They had me at "Twin Stick Shooter" 🙂

Here's a factoid, Berzerk inspired Eugene Jarvis to make Robotron which was the first twin stick shooter...

I heard the same thing in a recent interview with Jarvis on the Ted Dabney Experience and it immediately came to mind with this announcement.

wow 6-digit scores from members of the I/O!

After reading this thread, I just bought it and played a few rounds before my next meeting in five minutes. My current high score is 19k and change.

When I read "twin-stick shooter," I thought it was going to feel more like Robotron. It doesn't feel anything like Robotron, and that's a good thing in my book if this game was going to maintain any of the feel of the original game. As far as the feeling of Berzerk is concerned, the movement and animation in this game definitely remind me of the original. My one gripe is finding myself get stuck too often rounding corners and such.

I was never a big fan of the original, and for a casual Berzerk fan like me, this one looks and feels like a Berzerk game (a positive). So far, I like it.

I just got the Steam version, ands a discount as part of the Recharged Bundle I got last year... 🙂

It's a good game if you like twin stick & bullet hell shooters.  The right stick doesn't even fire, but aims like you had to in the original Berzerk.  It's both hit and miss as yes you can hold & aim while moving away but the 360 degrees make it hard to aim accurately.  In other words it makes using the railgun a liabilty w/o some kind of reticle of targeting laser.

There's complaints about the looks but TBH i was too busy dodging the bots, turrets and bullets to even notice.  And having Otto be able to come ouit of any door instead of the one you came out of adds to the intensity, and makes it harder to clear the whole room for bonus points which you'll need to move up on the leaderboards.  You can't die from touching the walls (thank goodness!) but that makes it different from the original game.  Feels more like a sequel like Frenzy than a remake...

My biggest grip is how they covered up the bottom of the screen with a glass celing, where the score is, which makes it hard to see any baddies you need to blast to get the bonus, that was not needed!

It's a decent game but not the best in the series, to be honest Yars: Recharged is a much better twin stick shooter.

3 hours ago, MistaMaddog said:

It's a decent game but not the best in the series, to be honest Yars: Recharged is a much better twin stick shooter.

Yars Recharged is a twin stick shooter?!? I'm behind 😛 

I've only played Asteroids and Missile Command (on the iPad) from the Recharged series. I love the Recharged series and the attempt to the re-interpret classic games.

25 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Yars Recharged is a twin stick shooter?!? I'm behind 😛 

I've only played Asteroids and Missile Command (on the iPad) from the Recharged series. I love the Recharged series and the attempt to the re-interpret classic games.

And Black Widow, of course!

I'm not sure how I feel about berzerk but I am proud to see so many familiar names at the top of the score list.  I wanted to get the top score but damn you guys are good lol

I'm not sure if Berzerk is a good representation of the classic but it is a fun game.  If I had to recommend it as a game then yeah it's fun and addictive.  If you wanted me to recommend it as a berzerk game I honestly don't know yet.  It doesn't really feel like Berzerk to me so far...

Edited by Silver Back

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork