What are everyone's HALLOWEEN plans?

MaximumRD

🤔🤷‍♂️Out of curiosity what are everyone's HALLOWEEN plans? We don't really "do" HALLOWEEN and kids cannot come through the condos. I THINK maybe someone gives out candy out of the property Clubhouse. Otherwise, all quiet for us. Any HALLOWEEN-related activities or plans for you?

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Halloween plans here are pretty quiet.  Our kids are grown.  I feel like we did our duty back then.  We tend to stay home, dim the lights, and watch TV.  I know, it's pretty grinchy!  The good news is we're kind of cracking a bit, and I imagine we'll get back into the spirit and hand out candy next year. 

BEFORE Halloween, though, we tend to go out in the neighborhood at dusk and view all the displays.  I have a friend in the neighborhood that goes all out.  He actually makes his house look like an old pirate ship with a skeleton crew.  It's pretty amazing, and I'll try to get some pictures. 

Halloween movie suggestions!

I think a lot of us have seen all the classics many, many times.  Universal had the best monster movies.  I can suggest a few that you may not have seen that I really enjoyed:

• The Uninvited - This one is really well done.  Kind of a mystery story, but also really spooky.  The ghost effect here is really chilling! 
    The-uninvited-film-poster.jpg

• A Ghost Story - This one is more of a Twilight Zone story.  It's quiet and thought provoking.  Skip the pie-eating scene though.  It's 10 minutes long and almost ruins the whole movie (by being so boring). 
    A_Ghost_Story_poster.jpeg

Halloween festivities are certainly "a thing" with my lady's side of the family.  Had a pumpkin carving party two weekends ago; had a traditional party with games/costumes this weekend; and it sounds like we'll be hosting this year's spooky-movie night while we listen for the doorbell. Some years we get dozens of kiddos; others we get all of seven!

Much like RickR here, we make some cider and go walk some of the streets known for their displays on the days leading up to Halloween night.

@MaximumRD, maybe you could wander the area outside, check out the scene, and pass out some candy outside!

Halloween hasn't been much of a thing for us. Even when the kids were little, they weren't into it as none of my kids like candy or chocolate. I think my kids went trick or treating a couple of times and they called it a career.

It's been several years since we handed out candy. We're usually at church helping out with whatever kids program the church has going on, and that's what we'll be doing tomorrow as well.

I've always liked the idea of watching movies or playing games that vibe with the holiday though. Maybe we should do a I/O movie "night" where we have a zoom call to talk about something we all agreed to watch. My local retro gaming group does a game-of-the-month which culminates with a group zoom call. Even people who didn't play will join the conversation.

I would offer candy to kids, but I need to do things and won't be at the front door of my house. So, what I did was this. I bought some bags of candy and donated to the church near my house for their Trunk 'N Treat. They put candy in families' cars for the kids in the church's parking lot. I thought it would be a nice contribution to the community since I won't able to hand candy out at my house.

Our street was sad for trick or treating!  Almost every porch light was off(including ours).  Not a lot of kids out.  I think times are changing.  Thinking more about it, my kids were a lot like @socrates63 mentioned.  They went trick or treating when really little (and more under parental influence) but weren't really interested once they got older (maybe 3rd grade and on).  Candy didn't hold much interest for them and it still doesn't.  On the positive side, a LOT of houses have decorations and some pretty elaborate displays!  So it is quite fun just to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere.  

My porch lights are on an automated timer, so I made sure I was at the switch ready to turn them off them second they turned on automatically!  🙂  I didn't want any kids to get false hope. 

My movie choice of the night was "Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse" (the second Sony animated version).  Not bad!