What 7800 Games Deserve XP releases? Enhancements even?

7800 Pro Gamer

I'm curious what you guys think.  With the CX 78 being confirmed, what games deserve an XP release and what would you buy?  I'm thinking anything that's risen above 100 dollars on eBay would be clear cut winners at the 29.99-49.99 price range.  But having talked to Vinnie I think Planet Smashers enhanced with improved audio is a winner, Ninja Golf would be incredible, and I'd like to see a Food Fight Recharged release on VCS, Switch, Steam, etc with a 7800 cart release similar to Mr Run and Jump!

Plus there are a ton of homebrew that deserve the treatment too.  Even if licensing is a concern just throw out games you'd be interested in and let Atari worry about the license!  

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork

This is a great topic. I think the XP line needs to focus on rarities and protos. This was the stated intent, but so far we only have a handful: Saboteur, Aquaventure, Save Mary and Fatal Run. The rest have been commons, except for Yars' Return - which should have been left on the Flashback.

For the 7800, here is my wishlist:

Atari properties:

Planet Smashers

Alien Brigade

Ninja Golf

Games with potential licensing issues:

Mean 18

KLAX

Sirius

Plutos

Toki

Rampart

Missing In Action

It's not clear whether the US-based XP manufacturing partner contemplated the 7800 when they made their boards for XP. I think it's more likely that we see something from Plaion with the lower cost commodity line. Of course, now that Atari owns AA, they probably have access to those boards too.

Edited by Sabertooth

Not related to XP (which is a separate private label line for Atari by a PA-based firm), but the Plaion rep shared the quantities they (Plaion) would need to produce carts for what I'm calling the commodity line - which is made by RichCo Asia for Plaion/Atari.

So they would need to reasonably expect to sell 10K units to produce an enhanced edition cart.

I love the idea of enhanced versions of the licensed 7800 arcade games, but doubt they would secure the rights again. Berzerk only happened because Atari bought the property outright from Stern. 

Screenshot_20231204_063045_Firefox.jpg

Possibly, but there have been a number of AtGames Atari Flashback units with Namco and Activision games to name a few. They should work out the details and make it happen. I doubt they will, but they should find a way to make it viable. What is the 7800 without Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, Pole Position II, Xevious, etc.

I think it would be excellent if they could get the stuff needed to finish and release some of the prototypes? Like work with Lucasarts to get Fractalus done. Or maybe see about getting new ports of IPs they own that were never released but should have been made...like a 7800 version of Crystal Castles.

There are many talented 7800 programmers now as the awesome home brew scene has shown, and they could contract with them to get some new stuff done.

But I know that isn't likely to ever happen because it is much easier for them to see ROI on something they already have and can just re-release in a newer looking package vs creating from scratch.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Great stuff here!  I have to say interest in the 7800 has to be at an all time high.  I think it would be very reasonable to sell 10k copies of some of their games with enhancements, but I would test the waters with 1.  Which one though?  Hmm...

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork