Squad Challenge - Circus Atari (Atari 2600)

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Circus Atari
Atari 2600
Controller: PADDLE / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: GAME 2, DIFFICULTY B
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST May 31, 2024
Nominated by @RickR

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between May 1st through May 31st, 2024. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, FPGA or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds, save states and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

GAME 2, DIFFICULTY B. We will be playing Circus Atari using Game 2, with the Difficulty Switch in the B position. Game 2 provides for similar gameplay to Default Game 1, except the playfield has an additional wall of barriers added below the baloons, which makes the game more challenging, while Difficulty B provides for better control of the clowns because they are not moving as fast.

Note: If Game 2 Difficulty B settings prove to be too difficult, let me know in the thread and we can make an adjustment early on in the challenge if necessary.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 158th Squad Challenge! This month we'll be playing the all-time classic 2600 paddle game Circus Atari, nominated for High Score Squad by @RickR! In Circus Atari, a wall of red, blue, and white balloons appear at the top of the screen. You must pop balloons by catching a clown on the teeter-totter and bouncing him up into the balloons. Each time the clown pops a balloon you score points! Use the Paddle Controller to move the teeter-totter across the screen. Press the red button to start your turn. Pressing the red button while the clown is in the air changes the direction of the teeter-totter. This is helpful in preventing the airborne clown from crashing into the other clown on the teeter-totter. PDF Instructions are provided below. Enjoy!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Circus_Atari.pdf

2 hours ago, RickR said:

There are moments of magic in this game...like when you get the man bouncing on the barriers such that he clears out a whole load of balloons.  You'll note too, it won't play the clearout jingle until after the man is heading back down in order to startle you a bit. 

I will never know that life lol, so I will live vicariously through you!

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Hey @Marco1019 , @Atari 5200 Guy and other VCS owners, if you have a Classic Controller for the VCS, it works well for Circus Atari. Atari offered it as a free download awhile back. It's also on Atari 50 and Atari Vault (IIRC).

Not sure if the free code still works, but here's a video.

I booted up my VCS and discovered that Circus Atari is free! Next, I will need to adjust the settings on my Classic Controller.

2 minutes ago, Marco1019 said:

I booted up my VCS and discovered that Circus Atari is free! Next, I will need to adjust the settings on my Classic Controller.

Awesome! Glad to hear that it's still available for free! I tried it this morning and it felt fine on my Classic.

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Hey @Marco1019 , @Atari 5200 Guy and other VCS owners, if you have a Classic Controller for the VCS, it works well for Circus Atari. Atari offered it as a free download awhile back. It's also on Atari 50 and Atari Vault (IIRC).

Not sure if the free code still works, but here's a video.

I bought Circus Atari on the VCS and the Atari 50 without knowing it already had it. I also have the original cartridge, too.