Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

Yup, already in my list of sources.  Thanks!

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#22 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:04 PM

Not sure IF yer going to be chatting about it's conversions (Saturn/PC..cannot really class PS1 Tempest X3 as a conversion as such, it's more a reworking..)

But, it might be worth mentioning a prototype of Tempest 2000 was written for the 3DO M2 hardware, just for fun.

Here's Andrew Seed (Imagitec) chatting about conversions:

" A Saturn conversion was started with the 

intention of showing it to Atari and giving them a "cheap" game. They 

decided to give it to another company (was it Interplay?) and asked for 

source to the Saturn version. They were kindly told what they could do with 

that idea 8-). Basically it was an enhanced version of the PC (not as good 

as the original Jag version) and had the music from the Tempest 2000 CD."

http://www.atarihq.c...eo/jeo_0204.htm

#23 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

Episode 9 for Tempest 2000 is now available on your RSS feed. You can also check it out here directly, or also find the episode on iTunes and Stitcher. This ended up being a double-length episode, lots of vector-lined ground to cover, lots of great music to include (including music that was written for but ultimately excluded from the game). I hope you enjoy it.

• Justin, The Professor, nosweargamer and 1 other like this

#24 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:04 PM

Drat, I forgot to mention here that the Kasumi Ninja episode is out, which includes some (possibly exclusive) details from producer Ted Tahquechi sprinkled throughout.  The song at the very end of the episode has garnered some positive reactions, too. :)

Here's the direct link to the episode, the show notes page, and you can find the episode on iTunes and Stitcher as well.

I need to step back from the podcast for a little while for personal reasons, but since Kasumi Ninja was the last of the original Jaguar-unveiling titles for me to cover (well, save for the unreleased Tiny Toons, which Mr. Tahquechi tells me was a "mess"), this might be a logical point to take a little break, anyway.

Thank you all for listening, and for your support.

• Justin, The Professor, StormSurge and 1 other like this

#25 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

Hey there Shinto, very sorry to hear the podcasts will be coming to an end, for a while at least :-(, but life often has a real habbit of making other things the focal point.

Hope everything works out for you, and you come back with more podcasts in the future.

I'd just like to add a huge thanks for everything you've done and wish you all the very best for the future.

#26 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

Bubsy in: Fractured Furry Tales is the latest episode of the podcast, available on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play Music, and wherever RSS feeds are accepted.

The next episode will cover Iron Soldier. If you have any thoughts or memories you'd like to share about this game, please send an e-mail (text or audio) to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com, or just reply/PM here by Friday, June 24th to make sure your comments make it into the show. Thanks!

• Justin, The Professor, fergojisan and 2 others like this

#27 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

The latest episode, Iron Soldier, is now online.  I expect it to hit iTunes and Stitcher shortly.  Check out the direct episode link or blog entry, and get stomping.

Next up is Wolfenstein 3D!  I'm optimistically looking to close feedback on July 22nd for that episode, so I'd love to get your text or audio submissions.  jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com is the place to send that.

As always, thank you for listening!

• Justin, The Professor, atarilbc and 2 others like this

#28 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:57 PM

I'm really enjoying the IS podcast, Shinto. This was one of my favorite games on the Jaguar and is a great exclusive. Down with Iron Fist!
  • Shinto and Lost Dragon like this

#29 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:35 PM

Achung!  The episode all about the Jaguar port of the pioneering FPS, Wolfenstein 3D, is now available for download.  You can find it here, or hit up iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play Music, or your favorite podcast app.  jaguar.gamebygamepodcast.com has all the links and show information.

The next episode is covering DOOM.  I'd love to hear your feedback on this one!  Please send text or audio to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com, or PM here, that's fine, too.  I'm hoping to have all feedback in by the end of the month to make sure it gets in the episode.

Thanks!

• Justin, DeLorean and Lost Dragon like this

#30 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:20 AM

Forwarded onto you, in case you didn't have it,the official wording/thoughts from I.D on Jaguar Doom..so interview with Edge and personal exchanges from Romero and Taylor with myself..plus few other odds n sods :-)

#31 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

Been catching up with these over past few days, LOVING Shinto's work here.

Glad someone else can point out that the claims of Atari asking Imagitec to port Humans and Raiden to PANTHER (nice spot Shinto LOL) are still nothing but RUMOURS at this point.

Despite seemingly every man, woman and child from imagitec being spoken to by various people/publications/websites, there's nothing to suggest this was the case, Falcon, yes, but Panther?

And wowza, so the un-named Atari corp source (totally understand this, i've had info passed onto myself regarding Panther, lot of Domark games, System 3's ST version of Myth etc i cannot share as sources do not want to go public) has said NONE of the Jaguar Launch games ever started on Panther.

That would tie-up with what Faran Thompson/BJ West told me about Crescent Galaxy, why Fred Gill (ATD) cannot remember anything of Panther Cybermorph etc.

Looks like a few Atari Historians out there will be needing to re-issue statements about The Panther after all this, plus word from Domark sources, Guildo and Hand Made Software.

What was once written about The Panther seems badly in need of updating with what's been discovered since.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 25 August 2016 - 02:51 PM.

#32 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Also i was VERY interested to hear you talk of ATARI NOT WANTING Eclipse's Falcon Space Game!.

Back in Nov 16, 1992 Sam Tramiel was saying Atari had contracted out around  a dozen Falcon games and he himself had seen likes of:Raiden, Road Riot 4WD, Cyber assault, Steel Talons and..."Eclipses GREAT Spaceship game"....

Wonder if anyone ever pushed him on why Atari suddenly decided it wasn't great enough to be what they wanted?. 

#33 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Been catching up with these over past few days, LOVING Shinto's work here.

Thank you!

Glad someone else can point out that the claims of Atari asking Imagitec to port Humans and Raiden to Jaguar are still nothing but RUMOURS at this point.

I assume you meant to say Panther here instead of Jaguar.

And wowza, so the un-named Atari corp source (totally understand this, i've had info passed onto myself regarding Panther, lot of Domark games, System 3's ST version of Myth etc i cannot share as sources do not want to go public) has said NONE of the Jaguar Launch games ever started on Panther.

That would tie-up with what Faran Thompson/BJ West told me about Crescent Galaxy, why Fred Gill (ATD) cannot remember anything of Panther Cybermorph etc.

It's funny how rumor and speculation can morph into "common knowledge" over time.  I once subscribed to the thought that some/most of the early Jaguar games started out life on the Panther.  It made sense.  But the more I researched it, and interacted with actual people inside Atari at the time who were in the position to know, I found not only a lack of supporting evidence, but outright refutation of a Panther origin for Jaguar launch titles.

It was surprising to me, since I, like others, am fascinated by What Could Have Been with the Panther, and found some appeal in having a firm link between that abandoned console and a few of the Jaguar games which actually saw the light of day.  But the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming, and in my opinion, rather conclusive.  The rumors will persist, I'm sure.  After all, my podcast has a fairly small listener base. :)

• Justin, The Professor, DeLorean and 1 other like this

#34 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

Also i was VERY interested to hear you talk of ATARI NOT WANTING Eclipse's Falcon Space Game!.

[...]

Wonder if anyone ever pushed him on why Atari suddenly decided it wasn't great enough to be what they wanted?. 

I would strongly recommend checking out the ANTIC podcast's interview with Bob Brodie, who was Atari's Director of Communications.  He has surprising (well, to me) insight on why Atari exited the computer market.  I need to find some way to include mention of this interview in an upcoming episode of the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast; it's pretty significant.

So with the Jaguar now serving as the basket for all their eggs, Atari wanted Jaguar games more than they wanted Falcon games, and since the Jaguar already had an abundance of space(-ish) games on the lineup, Atari wanted something different, and we got Iron Soldier (yay!).

That's the impression I got from Eclipse interviews like this and this, both included in the show notes for the Iron Soldier episode.

#35 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

:) Nice spot there my friend, just corrected my earlier post and yep it was Panther i meant, NOT Jaguar, regarding these claims of Imagitec being contracted by Atari to do conversions of Raiden and Humans....

My inital understanding had always been Imagitec had never intended to convert Humans to any Atari format, until Atari basically signed them up to do conversions to Lynx and Falcon, then once ALL focus switched to Jaguar, Falcon Humans was put on hold, basically it could be done after the Jaguar version was out there, Atari needed Jaguar launch titles far more than they needed another Falcon game, the Falcon had failed at retail, Atari were desperate to ensure same fate didn't befall Jaguar....

But nowhere had i even seen any UK magazine claim Panther was to get Raiden or Humans and bear in mind this is the same UK Press that claimed:7800 Gauntlet, Eliminator,Technocop etc/A8 Druid 2, ST Nebulus II,Litil Divil, Chuck Rock II etc..speculation never stood in the way of a good story.

Pitfighter was claimed by The One, but again UK Press Like Zero, The One, Raze, C+VG, Games-X etc totally missed FACT Panther development kits were in hands of likes of Guildo and Hand Made software, as it seems did the 'Atari experts' out there as it looks like NO internal documents were kept stating EXACTLY who had development kits and who was working on what.

I think because Magazine X or writer/historian Y stated 'as FACT' that Games A-Z were started on Panther, people simply accepted these statements as fact as these guys were writing/researching for a living, so if they said it started on Panther..on Panther it did indeed start :)

But as you yourself found out, it's once you dig beneath the surface and start properly looking, you soon realise there was a very different story.

My inital look into Pitfighter saw 2 Ex-Domark coders go along with Panther claims, as they'd heard rumours...but then i hit paydirt with the person responsible for the MegaDrive/Genis port saying ALL home versions (console and Micro..passed through him and If a Panther version had even been signed, he'd of known about it), i knew i was onto something, then a 4th Domark source confirmed NO such Panther project was done, i knew The One's claim, still passed around as fact, was simply incorrect.

Jeffs Tech Demos were explained by him in the edge interview he did and thus poured cold water on claims written they went onto become Falcon Llamzap, but then around same time Jeff cleared up claims made he'd loved Lynx hardware had been coding Ultra Star raiders Raiders :) (A fact confirmed by interview he did years before on Atari Explorer, pointing out Llamasoft was far too small a developer to branch out into Lynx Development).

Cybermorph was always heavily rumoured though i never understood how passing off early Jaguar screens was supposed to give readers idea of how it might of looked....

Panther was a 68000 Sprite Based console..writer might as well had put up Amiga Starglider 2 screens LMAO.

Crescent Galaxly i was aware of the very early, Cartoony version shown to shareholders, though it was not until a lot later i saw the Promo tape on YT, but again as nothing had been reported on Panther version....

It was kind of like Lynx Rolling Thunder, once you knew who was listing Lynx/Panther workwork on their C.V, even if it was just vague like 'Art' or 'Development Enviroment', you knew who to ask, even IF you couldn't publically quote them, you could confirm if titles had been started.

Your source has been fantastic in confirming NONE of The Jaguar titles ever started on Panther, with that and those i've been lucky enough to speak too, in space of a few months, SO MUCH MORE is known about the System, than ever before.

I personally wouldn't worry about your listner base, it's growing and i'd rather see FACTUAL, entertaining articles/listen to same on Podcasts, than read a poorly researched, speculation based piece presented as fact, plastered in a mainstream Retro publication or a $40 book or on yet another PC CD/3DO/Saturn/C64/ZX Spectrum stills/footage used to 'suggest' what an Atari Panther/Jaguar/7800 version might of looked like, YT video.

You've done stunning work, stand proud my friend.

#36 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hey look, Jaguar DOOM: Episode Download & Show Notes

(I'm keeping this post short because the podcast episode is so long.  I hope you enjoy it.)

• Justin, DeLorean, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#37 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:30 AM

E-P-I-C podcast.

Started listening late last night, back on this morning.

Loving the detail about, well...everything...right down to what the weapons are modelled on.

Listening to this, whilst i've returned to PS4 Doom 4, it just highlights just how superior the original Doom is to the games that followed it.

Whilst i loved the atmosphere of Doom 3, it felt too different from classic Doom, Doom 2 (ironically too similar to 1st, felt more like an expansion pack) and Doom 4..just feels like it's missing the audio impact of Classic Doom.

You've put so much into this podcast my friend and it pays great rewards.

An utter joy to have playing here in the background. :)

Also, love the injection of humour in your podcasts :)

And man the A.T.D is superb, no stone is left unturned, i rarely hear folks mention fact Monsters don't teleport in Jaguar Doom. Also big Kudos (in show notes) for mentioning the Trevor Raynsford interview, never read it before, very enjoyable read and another Imagitec staffer not covered in the RG look at the company, so even more fresh insights.

And another person who worked on Raiden, yet there's not even a whiff of a mention of ANY PANTHER work......

I also liked Trevor talking of the expectation of finished Jaguar hardware clock speeds being upto 3X as fast as the development kits...something which never happened and how Atari left the hardware bugs in, as they couldn't of gotten the hardware manufactured before likes of Saturn, PS1 etc hit as it'd of delayed manufacturing.

#38 Shinto

Shinto

Cherry Member

• 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

Thank you for the kind words, Lost Dragon.  It was a lot of work putting that episode together, more so than any previous episode, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  There are things I forgot to mention, though, like who wrote the music (Bobby Prince!), how long the songs are (the intermission theme is surprisingly the longest), how there's a volume control in the Options screen, and how when you die, you turn to face the monster which dealt the killing blow (even following it around the screen after you die).  These are the types of things that come to me when I'm around 80% done editing.  I'm pretty good at editing, but there's only so much I can do.

Just yesterday I downloaded a demo of the new DOOM for the PC.  I haven't tried it out yet, and I'm not sure when I will, but from what I've seen, it does seem to be more of an attempt to re-capture the guns-blazing feel of the original DOOM, as opposed to the spooky jump-scare environment of DOOM 3.  I was surprised in 1993 when I saw the DOS shareware version took up TWO floppy disks.  The new DOOM demo would take about 4,500.

• Justin, The Professor, DeLorean and 1 other like this

#39 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

DOOM is an epic episode. Amazingly, its more info packed than the Wolf3D episode. Great job!

#40 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

My friend?

Your more than welcome.

I can honestly say, it was by far THE MOST detailed look at Doom i've ever come across and what's more, you shared it with the community for FREE.

You deserve the utmost respect and huge thanks for doing this.

Back in the day, as a PAYING subscriber to Retro Gamer magazine, i was honestly appalled by the big feature they did on Doom, cover story to boot.

The Jaguar and 32X versions were mixed up, ditto the Pal Saturn and Playstation versions, nothing said on how NTSC Saturn Doom was better than Pal version, no interview with John B.explaining why Pal Saturn Doom was so poor (i had to ask him that myself on an RVG interview) etc.The research was shocking and i was labelled a Jaguar Fanboy for explaining my disguist at such a lack lusture feature, so i've been longing to hear someone really give the game the care and attention it deserved and boy, you delivered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users