Would Atari Lynx have worked as a Nintendo Switch style game console?

Justin

Would Atari Lynx have worked as a Nintendo Switch style game console? Imagine if Atari had boosted its resolution and released the Lynx with a docking station, TV connections and standard control pads for under $249? Lynx could have been Atari’s 16-Bit console and Atari's handheld. Had Atari done this in 1989 Lynx could’ve enjoyed a solid 4-5 year run as a console, and continued compatibility with Atari Jaguar via Comlynx. What do you think?

atari_lynx_switch_dock.jpg

I've heard rumors that the Lynx was going to be a controller for the Jaguar.  I can't say where I've heard it but that was the rumor I heard.  It would have been nice if the system could have connected to a standard TV for home gaming by a A/V out port similar to how the AtGames portable Sega handheld connects.  The system would essentially also be the controller.  That would have been enough for me.  I'm not complaining, however, as I still believe the Lynx II was by far the most sexy handheld console made...and comfortable.  I just didn't care for the built-in display sometimes because it had this awful contrast issue that would "ghost" the images.  

As it stands the Lynx was a very powerful game system in a portable package and should have outperformed Nintendo and Sega in the handheld market.  I really don't think doing anything like the Switch is doing would have helped...it's all about the game play.  All game consoles are at the mercy of the developers to create games that engulf the player in an experience they can't forget.  It's what made Atari 2600 so popular.  Gamers generally don't buy a new console unless there was a game that they simply had to have...which would encourage the purchase of a new console.  So, as it stands, Lynx might have had to step up its game and bring to the table games that were not arcade ports.  It would have needed games like SMB on the NES, Phantasy Star on the Master System, and similar games.  The games it got were good but the library begged for more unique games.  Just my opinion.

That would have been amazing tech at the time and may have got Atari a lot of buzz, but as was mentioned before, the Lynx really needed more NES style games.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Imagine if that were a built in feature of the Jaguar!!!

That image and thought makes my heart skip a beat. Thankfully we can almost do that now with the exception of connecting external controllers.

Yep! You're right. Those McWill Lynx mods are super duper! It's like 80% there already. I wonder what more it would take to add a controller port or build a docking station like in Justin's picture...

One thing I've noticed about most gaming magazines of the past...if the review was financially backed by the developer it usually got a higher-than-normal rating.  This is most likely to help keep the funds coming in to support the magazine and its staff.  Sega obviously had more money to blow than Atari so that might explain why the Master System got better reviews.  But to compare a home console to a portable console ... that's like putting an amateur in the driver's seat of a Chevette and placing them in a race against professional racers.  I'm not saying the Lynx had less power than the SMS.  The opposite is more true.  The Lynx was a more powerful console than the SMS if you go by specifications.  But the home consoles and portable consoles are two entirely different fields and should never be compared against each other.  In my opinion anyway.   

First! That mock up is one of the sexiest things I have seen!!!!!

I'm sure a dock station with composite sockets could still be made for that thing. HMMMMM! 

I only knew 1 kat with a Lynx. He also had a Jag, and again the only one I knew of at the time that did. I had become a Sega JUNKIE by then and focused on that. I do not remember being excited to play the Jag but when he pulled out that Lynx I was amazed. I only got to play a surf game on it before he put it away but it left an impression on me. I never did get one but always in the back of my brain wanted to play around with one. 

The dock station needs to happen, oh and with the Game Gear too!!!!  :D

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!