Atari XP Physical Releases - Atari Releasing New Atari 2600 Game Cartridges!

Sabertooth

Not to mention that the orig Outlaw art was pretty dang sweet already.  Maybe choose a game that has lousy (or unoriginal) artwork to replace.  Like Solaris?  Or Pole Position?  (NOTE:  I goofed!  I meant Sprint Master, which had recycled box art.  RickR has failed to qualify)

Edited by RickR

4 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

This may be where I get off the XP train. Outlaw is just so common boxed and while I like the art, I don't think I like it enough.

Totally agree.

4 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

I wish Atari would go back to the original stated intent of the XP line and dig into the catalog for some true rarities and protos.

I really appreciate what the new Atari is trying to do with XP, and broadly with the Atari 2600/7800 and other legacy platforms - Atari, if you're listening I'd like to offer some constructive feedback:

Atari should focus their efforts on creating a dozen simple games that are good looking, responsive and fun for the whole family. They should think of them almost like "launch titles" - a nice mix of games, again similar in look and gameplay to what Nintendo did with the "Black Box" games at the launch of the NES in late 1985. Similar titles can be done for the 2600/7800. That would be incredibly redeeming for the 2600 and Atari in general, and create a ton of buzz and goodwill among fans.

Atari should focus on releasing 

• NEW Atari 2600 cartridges with "arcade graphics and gameplay" on par with 2600 Stargate / Defender II (1984)
  • "Lost" games such as Swordquest: AirWorld (2600), Rampart or Crystal Castles (7800) on cartridge
  • Improved games - such as what Champ Games did with 2600 Galaga.
  • Top-Notch "Basic" games for 2600/7800 - along the lines of what Nintendo did w/ the "NES Black Box Games" - Golf, Pinball, Ice Climber, Wrecking Crew
  • Sequel games with superior graphics and gameplay - How about Yars', Berzerk, or Crystal Castles for 7800? Warlords for Atari 7800 using paddle controllers? Scrapyard Dog 2: Lost in the Sewers,- Again, compare 2600 Defender to Defender II and see the difference.

Releasing common and early titles such as Outlaw feels very stale. How about a new Outlaw game for 2600 (or any NEW game!) with "arcade graphics and gameplay" on par with 2600 Stargate / Defender II, and give 2600 players something really fun, new and high quality. I bring up Defender II because it's a 2600 game that looks nearly as good as a 7800 game and can play on both systems.

Do this and we will line up around the corner to buy these games at that price.

2 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

Berzerk Enhanced for much the same reason - it brought something different to the table

Absolutely right. Berzerk is a licensed title. Atari brought something new enhanced to the table. Imagine if they released an improved Berzerk game for 7800, what that might look and sound like? 

2 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

Seems kind of strange to me that the Atari.com listing for the new Outlaw states "Collectible cartridges for rare and never-released Atari games", since Outlaw is neither.

I want to commend the new Atari for making an effort. We appreciate it, we support it and we want to encourage you. I hope if Atari is reading this they are getting a sense of direction we would like to see them go, and that we want to see them succeed.

4 hours ago, RickR said:

My goof.  I meant that second game that uses the same box art as Pole Position.  Sprint Master.  It deserves it's own box art!

YES absolutely! I totally agree. Good call, @RickR🙌 I was a little surprised when you called out Pole Position for having lame box art - the indy car looping around the track with the green grass, red and white checkered track lines, Mount Fuji and the red sky always stood out as so iconic in my mind, both on the 2600 and 7800 boxes. I respected your opinion but I thought "geez how can Rick think that!"

Atari Corp. under Tramiel recycled artwork a few times over the years. Most notably to me is the Asteroids starship from the 2600 box, on the box art for Gates of Zendocon on Atari Lynx.

Yeah, I can admit when I make a mistake.  I like to blame it on old age.  🙂  I had to think long and hard about what that other game name was (Sprint Master).  I love the Pole Position box art.  :pole_position:

Recycling box art was lazy.  Did they think we wouldn't notice?  I guess they didn't care what we thought as long as they could save a buck.  Those two games in particular (Solaris and Sprint Master) are both really good and deserved much better. 

On 8/4/2023 at 9:21 AM, Sabertooth said:

It doesn't appear so. They did involve Tim in the creation of the key art for the VR game Pixel Ripped 1978. It would be cool if they used the same approach for the XP line.

"TrogdarRobusto" is an Atari rep.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/354589-atariage-atari-qa/page/24/

"Tim is actually helping us source artists now for new key art. We usually do two illustrations per game, so we have an alternate for special physical versions. Atari created key art, we need to return to that standard from the golden era. That is a big focus, and important to me personally. We may not always nail it, but we are trying. "

15 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

At least they're back (for now) to previously unreleased stuff, ha.  Is this enough for you to jump back on the XP release train, pray tell?

I went ahead and grabbed it.  I also broke down and grabbed Outlaw, but only after they refunded me 50% for my bent box copy of Gravitar.  In for a penny... 😉

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Since it is an unreleased game, I'm likely going to get it as well.

On the fence on this one, but it may become my 2nd cart purchase for the same reason. If they would have released it earlier this year, we could have had Tod Frye sign it at PRGE next week. I had a custom cart made for Shooting Arcade and I hope to have Tod sign it.

<Edit> The CIB has sold out.

Shooting Arcade.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008

In a recent interview, Atari CEO Wade Rosen confirmed that the XP line is separate from the carts released in conjunction with the 2600+.  He described the former as "in house" and confirmed that the $29 carts are being manufactured and distributed by Plaion.  Hopefully Plaion's QA standards are higher than Atari's US-based manufacturing partner for the XP line.  This also explains why the XP line is US only, where the $29 carts are available globally. 

Edited by Sabertooth

Just to add to the "what are they thinking?" factor, I don't see mention that this order is capped at 500 (like Save Mary was).  So, out of the most recent three XP releases, the one with the widest potential audience (previously unreleased Save Mary) was the only one gated and limited, while Outlaw and (by appearances) Dark Chambers are unlimited preorders (previously released and still relatively common).

I just don't get it.  But also, I might be salty for missing out on the Save Mary order - the only one I really wanted 😆

Definitely agree with all your points on this, @Sabertooth

Edit:  Ahh, the recent email confirms that, yes, this release is also limited to the 500 copies.

Edited by Smell Dawg

Not sure exactly when, but noticed this morning that the aforementioned Dark Chambers cart is now marked "sold out".  For being limited to 500 copies, it took nearly two weeks.  As opposed to Save Mary's limited release, I think that was closer to 12 hours?  Hmmm part of me wonders if Atari simply marked the Dark Chambers as "sold out" to save some dignity in the face of lack-of-interest? Ha.

Edited by Smell Dawg