Atari XP Physical Releases - Atari Releasing New Atari 2600 Game Cartridges!

Sabertooth

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

We’re going to need a 2600+ dust cover.  If anyone comes across one, please post a link. It would be cool to one similar to the OG one below. Just need to add the “+” sign to it. 🙂

IMG_2184.jpeg

Give it time and I'm sure Printerboy will get one made up. Barb would too but I don't know how actively she is in making new covers these days. I want to say the last time I spoke with her just over a year ago, she was clearing out what she had to retire from it. Sad too since most of my covers in my setup are from Barb.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, CrossBow said:

Give it time and I'm sure Printerboy will get one made up. Barb would too but I don't know how actively she is in making new covers these days. I want to say the last time I spoke with her just over a year ago, she was clearing out what she had to retire from it. Sad too since most of my covers in my setup are from Barb.

Yep, most of mine are from Barb, although my last purchase was for my 2600 Jr., from Printerboy.

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

We’re going to need a 2600+ dust cover.  If anyone comes across one, please post a link. It would be cool to one similar to the OG one below. Just need to add the “+” sign to it. 🙂

In the meantime, the plastic form-fitting cover it ships in looks like what I'll be using as an interim dust cover 🙂

1 hour ago, Smell Dawg said:

In the meantime, the plastic form-fitting cover it ships in looks like what I'll be using as an interim dust cover 🙂

in noticed this as well with the all the release/review videos today showing that in the unboxing part. I'm likely to do the same. But then I'm not sure if I'm going to actually have my 2600+ setup somewhere for use all the time either.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

12 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Barb will likely make one but she will need a model console to make it.  I've lent her consoles before to make covers.  It'd be nice if she makes one.  🙂

True. She did make a one-off custom cover for my custom Starplex controller. She also made several VSC800 covers after I reached out to her.

Hope she’s doing well.

IMG_2202.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

The newest XP cart has been announced: Fatal Run 2600 with alternate art by Butcher Billy. This is the third XP re-issue with alt art from the Brazilian pop artist (Outlaw, Dark Chambers).

$59.99

No indication that it's limited in quantity but the last 2 have been limited to 500.

Screenshot_20231128_064244_Firefox.jpg

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Just saw the limited release of Fatal Run for Atari 2600 in my inbox. I have to ask though - why not the 7800 version? If the Atari 2600+ plays 7800 games, why not release the superior version? At this point everyone buying a 2600+ can play most 7800 games, and a great deal of Atari aficionados have original 7800 systems.

And better yet, why not make my childhood dreams come true and release RoadBlasters for Atari 7800? Leettttssssss gooooooo!

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

I plunked down $60 for the 2600 Fatal Run. Since this is a first time release for NTSC 2600, I decided to get one. I haven't bought any of the re-releases. One thing that's annoying is this limited release nonsense. I guess once the run of 500 are sold out, it will be sold as cartridge only.

Agreed, the unnecessarily manufactured scarcity makes no sense on a pre-order.  And, we can hope that there will be future "cart only" versions available - I'm sure hoping that's the case with Save Mary, at least!!  I regret missing that one!
(like you, I also opted in on this one - I was recently considering picking up a PAL Fatal Run 2600 cart, so this preorder works out much better)

51 minutes ago, Smell Dawg said:

With that logic... I'd be okay if they passed on re-releasing Swordquest Earthworld 😅

Looks like the Fatal Run LE carts are now marked "sold out".

I forgot that they did Swordquest Earthworld. Unless we get a new treasure contest, no thanks!

Yeah, those Fatal Run carts moved quick. Not Save Mary quick, but faster than I expected.

Screenshot_20231129_103852_Firefox.jpg

47 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Well, I went ahead and preordered the Butcher Billy Limited Edition Cartridge Set.  It is cheaper than the individual carts and it gets me Save Mary, which I was not able to get before.  Here's the link for it:  Butcher Billy Limited Edition Cartridge Set

ButcherBillySet.png.f4376ae6215f273b4b9d4e36bcac78ea.png

I'm trying to understand how that art style correlates to what comes to mind when we think of Atari, and why they wouldn't have released 7800 Fatal Run instead of 2600 Fatal Run, as the Atari 2600+ plays both.

I personally like the Butcher Billy art and have a few of the posters (Yars, Haunted House and Desert Falcon). His style and mash-ups aren't for everyone, but I love his work on this, Stranger Things, Black Mirror, etc.  

That said, it's frankly disingenuous to offer individual cartridges as limited in quantity and then to offer the exact same cartridges as part of a “set.”  The individual cartridges were advertised as limited to 500 units.  With the addition of the Butcher Billy Box set, this number has now been increased to 1,000 units per title.  The only arguable exception is Save Mary which at least has alternate art.

As a customer, how do I trust that when Atari offers limited edition cartridges that they won’t simply be repackaged in a bundle shortly after the initial offer? The answer (clearly) is that I can’t.

Also, QC is still an issue unfortunately.  I just opened a ticket for a glitch copy of Crystal Castles.  I'll see how it's resolved before reporting further on it. 

Edited by Sabertooth

4 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

I personally like the Butcher Billy art and have a few of the posters (Yars, Haunted House and Desert Falcon). His style and mash-ups aren't for everyone, but I love his work on this, Stranger Things, Black Mirror, etc.

My intent isn’t to be critical of the artist or art style but rather not understanding how it correlates to an Atari vibe.

For example, the Blade Runner 2049 stuff wasn’t for everyone but I understood the connection between the two worlds.