Squad Challenge - 2021 F-ZERO Christmas Challenge (Super Nintendo)

Justin

1 hour ago, greenween said:

Great scores! Been playing a little more today. Timing the button pushes with the counter helped a lot. 2 things that were killing me were the "landmines", I just couldn't avoid them. I've learned to cut through the grey areas and just avoid them. It slows me down but not as much as hitting them. The one part of the course with the bumpers on the left and right. I kept hitting them all. Finally, it dawned on me to just stay in the center and you won't him them, LOL. My last try I was in 1st place on the final lap but freaked out and lost. Haha.

The "first place freak out" is real.  I call it a choke job and I do it all the time.  Just learn to ignore the "final lap" message and that helps.

You're on the right track with the gray areas/landmines...but take a closer look.  There's a path through there (it's tight) that doesn't go all the way through the gray areas. 

One more tip for you:  try to find long stretches where you only go straight and don't touch the direction pad.  Even the slightest course correction slows you down. 

And another:  You know those slowpokes that look like football helmets that always seem to get in your way?  Use them!  Like if you know there's a computer guy behind you on your left, then pass that football helmet on the left.  He'll veer towards you and hit the computer behind you!

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Played in an F-ZERO Christmas Challenge!"

HDN was awarded the badge 'F-ZERO Squad' and 10 points.

I’m calling it tonight. I’m very tired. Here’s my best time. It’s close but no cigar. This was fun, guys. I can’t wait to play again next year!

2’04”70

ECF644A1-B17F-485A-94F9-0B735DD7EDE1.jpeg.e1e4b32b00e3371682e2a0da9b7899c0.jpeg

56A31755-5C63-406C-99F1-8C54840F2A01.jpeg

8 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Am I the only one driving Golden Fox?

I experimented a bit with the different cars.

• Yellow - this one is easiest to do the rocket start trick.  But it's feels too slow to me. 
  • Pink - I always drift back to this one because you can do the corners without letting off the gas and it's fast.  BUT it seems near impossible to me to do a rocket start with pink.
  • Green - This one fits in between Yellow and Pink to me.  I can do the rocket start, and I like how hitting other cars doesn't impact (pun intended) him as much.  But I can't seem to beat my high score with Green.
  • Blue - I had a lot of trouble controlling blue and it goes too slow.  I didn't spend much time with Blue.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Radio Poultry!

Congratulations to @RadioPoultry on becoming a TWO-TIME F-ZERO Squad Champion! Radio Poultry was previously Champion two years ago in our 2019 F-ZERO Christmas Challenge, and reclaims his title with his victory this year! Congratulations on a triumphant win! @RadioPoultry takes the top spot in the Final Standings with an outstanding time of 2' 02" 40. Our other legendary F-ZERO High Score Squad champ @Kid A returned to Mute City this year with an INCREDIBLE showing, nearly TIEING for 1st Place, having missed the mark by a mere seven milliseconds to take 2nd Place in our Final Standings with a time of 2' 02" 47. Hotshot @HDN secures his place in the Final Standings, taking 3rd with a terrific time of 2' 04" 70. I came in 4th Place with a time of 2' 10" 79.  @Atari 5200 Guy came in 5th Place with a time of 2' 12" 47, @RickR takes 6th with 2' 13" 66, @greenween takes 7th with 2' 17" 67, and @Gianna gave it her all with a time of 2' 24" 19. Congratulations once again to Squad Legend @RadioPoultry for his victory, and a big congratulations to everyone on their amazing runs! Here's to everyone who gave it their all to shave off every last millisecond from their time. I hope everybody had fun with this game over the holiday season, and we'll see you back here on the F-ZERO track this time next year!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is Megamania for the Atari 2600! Be there!

large.final_standings_snes_f-zero_2021.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif