Squad Challenge - Pengo (Atari 5200)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Pengo
Atari 5200
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST August 14th, 2022
Nominated by @RickR @Sabertooth @- Ω - @Atari 5200 Guy 

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between August 1st through August 14th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Pengo using the # button on the Joystick Keypad to select Intermediate difficulty level.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 132nd Squad Challenge, our first Atari 5200 game and one that has been popularly requested! For this Squad Challenge we're playing one of the greatest little puzzle games to ever come home on an Atari game system: Pengo! This is a very charming and fun block moving game. Pengo is a little penguin! As Pengo you scurry around the ice field rearranging huge blocks of ice. Your objective: Destroy your opponents, the Sno-Bees, before they sting you! Line up three diamond blocks for extra bonus points! This Squad Challenge will run through August 14th, 2022. ROM and Instruction Manual are both provided below. Have fun!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Atari 5200 Pengo.pdf Pengo.bin

:pow_big:

Please remember to TYPE OUT YOUR HIGH SCORE when posting to High Score Squad! We want to get your score right, and prevent mistakes. Scores can be blurry in photos, tricky on the eyes, or hidden deep within play-through videos. Claiming your score 100% prevents confusion.

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

Oh, this is a good game.  I suck at it, though! LOL  I shall try!

Don't feel bad.  I have had this game for a while now and only played it seldom.  I hope one of three controllers will hold out.  My poor 5200 is really starting to show its age.  I am, however, getting a great picture out of it again.

16594192037103668344073206625934.jpg.8c7c59f21864f427ab51d53694645c02.jpg

No fuzzies!  I'm going to give it a go.  Poor penguin.  I know I'm going to kill this poor fella.

I'm going to join in too.  I think those of us that have a digital controller of some kind will have a very slight advantage.  I'm not very good at it either.  Especially trying to line up the diamond blocks for bonus points. 

This is an inspired choice for the challenge, as this is a very underrated game (both arcade and home console versions). 

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Wow that was tough.  56,690.  I think I'm done for now.

56,690!  Daaaaaaaamn, dude.  I played two games this morning and barely broke 6K. 😭  For some reason I'm having and issue hitting the blocks going downwards.  The joystick is centered, so I'll have to practice some more.  Luckily the deadline will give me a chance to practice.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

2 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I have never used a Wico controller before let alone even seen one in person.  Are they as good as some people claim?

Mine isn't a Wico, it's a "Competition Pro".  I like it, but it's only good on games that use one button (like Pengo).  Using both buttons is really hard to do with only 5 fingers.  The stick is clicky and works well -- totally digital. 

I actually DID have a Wico before, and it also was a big improvement over the stock stick.  I can't remember if that one was digital or not -- I don't think it was.  But it for sure was self-centering.  Anyway, I didn't feel like I needed both the Wico and the Competition Pro, so I sold the Wico to a friend for a low price. 

That friend and I now also have a little adapter that allows the use of a 2600 stick, which also works really well for single button games.  I think there's a thread about that on the 5200 forum here if you are interested.