Rediscovering Game Boy games

socrates63

I just returned from a trip to Los Angeles. I had a lot of fun playing some OG Game Boy games on my new Game Boy Color with IPS screen. 

Of course, there's Tetris. Then I played Nemesis for the first time since the early 90s when I first bought the OG Game Boy. I broke 100k which I believe is a first, but it doesn't have a persistent scoreboard, and my score disappeared after like 3 three seconds. I'm getting better with age ✌️ Fine wine anyone?

I played Bomberman GB for the first time, and actually, this was the first time I played any Bomberman game. I'm still playing through the training levels but having a lot of fun. I see now why people love the series. It also has the cutest pause screen

I also played Mario Picross for the Game Boy. I found out about Picross a few months ago, and the Game Boy version is a lot of fun.

A few weeks ago, I had some quick fun with the original Game & Watch for the Game Boy.

What are your favorite Game Boy games

IMG_1593.JPG.c27a9bd51a7585b2ba258303a0668ffe.JPG IMG_1592.JPG.bd6d69ad3134e7244d804e4a27036039.JPG

Thanks for the list, Rick!

I forgot to mention that I actually played a little bit of SML. I think I made it to 2-3 or something like that. It was the first time ever that I spent more than 2 minutes playing a Mario platformer. It was neat, and I want to try to get into platform games.

I had heard about DK and about unlocking levels. I also read about Space Invaders and got a Super Game Boy to try some of these GB games with Super Game Boy content.

I had Super Mario Land I loved.  I had Nemesis, too.  Fun game.  I got Motocross Madness, F1 Race, Alleyway, Tennis, Baseball, Castlevania Adventures, Qix, Bubble Ghost, and Solar Striker.  Most of the initial release titles are solid games.  Alleyway is pretty much Arkanoid.  I had great fun with Tennis and Baseball.  All the games I had were fun.  

Never heard of Mole Mania but knowing Miyamoto it has to be good.

I was trying to remember the games a friend and I would play.  He would bring his games with him and I had a small collection so it would give us a chance to try out each other's games.  He had TMNT Fall or the Foot clan but I really don't remember much about it.

Y'all making me miss having a GB Pocket.  I should have never sold that thing.  I had a silver one with no game and I debated whether to keep or sell it.  I sold it along with a GB Color a few years ago.  I had no games for them and couldn't find any.  Then again I didn't think to use EBay and was sticking with local places.  Never found a thing.

Hmm.  I do have a GBA and those play GB games.  Maybe I need to think about picking up some of those old games again.  

5 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Really?!? If the game comes in a black cartridge that it means it plays on the OG? That is rad! I always wondered why some GBC game cartridges came in a black shell while others were in a clear case.

Yep.

The clear ones only work on GBC, but there were quite a few games released with black carts and compatible with the GB just after the GBC came out.

Wario Land 2 is one of the more high profile games released in a black cart, but Pokémon Pinball and Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle are two more.

Edited by LeeJ07

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I found a neat GameBoy emulator for android called EmuBox.  It also plays DS games.  I have not tried original or GB Color games on it yet.  Nice emulator but nothing like the real thing.

Android emulation has come a long way, but I've never been able to overcome the lack of a physical controller.  But I'm also the type that hasn't been able to adjust to a virtual keyboard at all (I was really good at thumb typing on a Blackberry physical keyboard). 

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Android emulation has come a long way, but I've never been able to overcome the lack of a physical controller.  But I'm also the type that hasn't been able to adjust to a virtual keyboard at all (I was really good at thumb typing on a Blackberry physical keyboard). 

Same -- I think it was about five or six years ago when I first got an iPad. I decided to make it a portable gaming machine but gave up the endeavor. I couldn't get over not having a physical controller. I looked into some options that were available (e.g., joystick attachment) but none seemed worthwhile.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:29 PM, socrates63 said:

I just returned from a trip to Los Angeles. I had a lot of fun playing some OG Game Boy games on my new Game Boy Color with IPS screen. 

Of course, there's Tetris. Then I played Nemesis for the first time since the early 90s when I first bought the OG Game Boy. I broke 100k which I believe is a first, but it doesn't have a persistent scoreboard, and my score disappeared after like 3 three seconds. I'm getting better with age ✌️ Fine wine anyone?

I played Bomberman GB for the first time, and actually, this was the first time I played any Bomberman game. I'm still playing through the training levels but having a lot of fun. I see now why people love the series. It also has the cutest pause screen

I also played Mario Picross for the Game Boy. I found out about Picross a few months ago, and the Game Boy version is a lot of fun.

A few weeks ago, I had some quick fun with the original Game & Watch for the Game Boy.

What are your favorite Game Boy games

IMG_1593.JPG.c27a9bd51a7585b2ba258303a0668ffe.JPG IMG_1592.JPG.bd6d69ad3134e7244d804e4a27036039.JPG

Hey! I got Nemesis from @RickR!

The Game Boy is my favorite system period. There are so many games I love. The first two Mario Land games are phenomenal. Pokémon is great as always. Links Awakening is a downright masterpiece. But if I had to pick my favorite, it’s Metroid II, hands down. Almost as close as you can get to a perfect video game in my eyes. A lot of people dislike it, but I think it’s just divine. Especially this time of the year. I get really nostalgic for it around the holidays and play through it every year.