Squad Challenge - Asteroids (Atari 7800)

Justin

11 hours ago, Smell Dawg said:

the UFOs don’t seem to be as much of a threat as they are in the arcade versions!

If you try the arcade method of flying up the middle of the screen....watch out!  They are deadly accurate in shooting you.

7 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I also love the small sound.effects that randomly sound off.  I think it gives a nice touch.

I also like this.  And you can fly behind your score, which is kind of cool too. 

When the mind is more relaxed and clearer, the fingers move just a little faster 🙂 

One tip: don't be afraid to move your ship a little here and there. Staying in one spot and simply rotating and shooting doesn't work well in later waves. When you see a relatively safer spot, move there and shoot and repeat.

IMG_0788.jpeg.2dfabcad7e8f1f05e043eeaa908d62f9.jpeg

Edited by socrates63

14 hours ago, socrates63 said:

One tip: don't be afraid to move your ship a little here and there. Staying in one spot and simply rotating and shooting doesn't work well in later waves. When you see a relatively safer spot, move there and shoot and repeat.

Wait, you mean I'm NOT supposed to be flying all over the place in a frantic panic?? 😀

52 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

I confirmed with my 2600 Starplex controller that the down button activates hyperspace. That's weird that tapping down on a 7800 compatible joystick does nothing. Maybe I should try the OEM 7800 controller to see how hyperspace is activated... assuming I have one.

I have a boxed Starplex I got from RickR a while back. Gonna try it next! 🙂

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

I've been testing.  Here is what I've found:

• Retrogameboyz pad.  "down" does not work for hyperspace.
  • Retrogameboyz 5 button controller - "down" does not work.  No way to hyperspace.
  • Atari 2600 joystick - "down" DOES work!  

WTF.  I guess this is an undocumented "feature" in this game.  

PXL_20230713_014356217.jpg

Edited by RickR

21 hours ago, socrates63 said:

@RickR doesn’t that RGB all button controller have a sixth button on the side?

OK, cue the Twilight Zone music.  I got so tired at work today that at 4pm, I laid down on my couch for a quick snooze.  When I woke up, I was facing that RGB controller, which I left on the coffee table.  I was laying there staring for no good reason, and lo and behold, there is a little tiny toggle button on the side....so small you have to push it with a pen tip.  I imagine that switches between 7800 and 2600 mode.  I'll test more next time I play.