Every system EXCEPT the 5200... my luck.

- Ω -

Maybe because 5200 cartridges never came with end labels, maybe because the system was not that popular.  But one of my next tasks is to comb the internet for a suitable display rack to modify in my slicer for my Atari 5200 cartridges, because as of now, I've been unable to locate a ready made display rack, and while I don't use many of my physical cartridges, I don't like shoving them all in a box.

euvrssdvgrn71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

There are fan made end labels for the 5200 carts that you can purchase and add to the carts.  They look very nice and make the carts look more complete.  Also, you can stack then as you've done with the 2600 carts and you'll be able to know which game it is.  Check these in Etsy:  Atari 5200 Sticker end Labels (For All 154 Custom Game Stickers).  These are even better than the ones I have!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

5 hours ago, TrekMD said:

There are fan made end labels for the 5200 carts that you can purchase and add to the carts.  They look very nice and make the carts look more complete.  Also, you can stack then as you've done with the 2600 carts and you'll be able to know which game it is.  Check these in Etsy:  Atari 5200 Sticker end Labels (For All 154 Custom Game Stickers).  These are even better than the ones I have!

These are the homemade labels I've have on my cartridges for the past few years (as shown in the old photo below).

5200Collection.jpg.9b142cb0c5b4cfdba0af7fd72b7a3476.jpg

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

** UPDATE **

I found an .STL for a ten cartridge holder!  I usually print using .2mm fine detail or better, but that would take around 24 hours, not something I'm all that excited about, so I sliced it for .3mm draft mode, because the case isn't going to be on display anyway, I just need it for function behind the doors of the armoire.  It'll still take 15 hours and 45 minutes to print, so I'll start it after I get home from work on Monday.

5200.JPG.2e831d7b6a85d5fcf0c52138af050f74.JPG

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

15 minutes ago, Justin said:

The strange thing was Regan Cheng was asked NOT to include end labels in his design proposals for the Atari 5200 cartridges. He included two designs with end labels anyway, and they were rejected. I don't know what the reasoning was.

Sad.  Atari got so much right, either by luck or good design, with the 2600 -- given how everything was new and undefined at the time.  Yet with the 5200, they kind of tripped over their own feet in ignoring some of those ideas.  Like simple controls (the 2600 had a huge advantage over the Intellivision in this department), sweet catalogs, and cartridge end labels. 

They reversed course and went back to the ideals with the 7800. 

For my own 5200 carts, I just used a basic label maker.  It doesn't look as good as the ones shown above, but it works for me.

5200 is a beauty.  Great design.  It looks like it belongs in one of those audio cabinets with stereo equipment.  It's too bad they skipped the end labels.  It is interesting to note that the Colecovision did not make this same mistake. 

Edited by RickR

18 minutes ago, Justin said:

The strange thing was Regan Cheng was asked NOT to include end labels in his design proposals for the Atari 5200 cartridges. He included two designs with end labels anyway, and they were rejected. I don't know what the reasoning was.

I was not aware of that.  What a missed opportunity!  I wonder if it was a cost-cutting measure.

4 minutes ago, RickR said:

We absolutely deserved a 5200 catalog in this style.

71A8VEhZEHL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I read every single page of these things and dreamed of playing every single game. 

Oh, yes!  I agree!  Another missed opportunity!  I loved going through these catalogs back then and devouring each page!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

28 minutes ago, RickR said:

We absolutely deserved a 5200 catalog in this style.

71A8VEhZEHL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I read every single page of these things and dreamed of playing every single game. 

<< THIS >> pdf MIGHT HELP YOUR NEED FOR A FIX!  😉

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

17 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Maybe because 5200 cartridges never came with end labels, maybe because the system was not that popular.  But one of my next tasks is to comb the internet for a suitable display rack to modify in my slicer for my Atari 5200 cartridges, because as of now, I've been unable to locate a ready made display rack, and while I don't use many of my physical cartridges, I don't like shoving them all in a box.

euvrssdvgrn71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

5200 carts fit inside 8-track cases.

14 hours ago, - Ω - said:

<< THIS >> pdf MIGHT HELP YOUR NEED FOR A FIX!  😉

I do remember these, thanks for posting.  But it's not quite the same as the 2600 catalogs.  First of all, the 2600 catalogs were 50+ pages.  Many games got a full page, with some getting two.  5200 catalogs seemed more style over substance.  There should have been huge screen shots, the cartoon presentation, and more info given.  For a system that seemed to be designed with "Big is better" mentality, they sure did skimp out on catalogs!

14 hours ago, RickR said:

I do remember these, thanks for posting.  But it's not quite the same as the 2600 catalogs.  First of all, the 2600 catalogs were 50+ pages.  Many games got a full page, with some getting two.  5200 catalogs seemed more style over substance.  There should have been huge screen shots, the cartoon presentation, and more info given.  For a system that seemed to be designed with "Big is better" mentality, they sure did skimp out on catalogs!

The only two paper materials Atari made for the 5200 showcasing games and accessories was the catalog already shared and a poster.  That’s it.  Those are the only two I know of that was 5200 only.  

I know Atari Corp made a few showcasing 5200 games alongside 2600 and 7800 games but that was mediocre at best.

6 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

The only two paper materials Atari made for the 5200 showcasing games and accessories was the catalog already shared and a poster.  That’s it.  Those are the only two I know of that was 5200 only.  

I know Atari Corp made a few showcasing 5200 games alongside 2600 and 7800 games but that was mediocre at best.

I think so too, and that was my exact point.  The 2600 had catalogs in every single game box, and they constantly updated and refreshed them. 

Think about the game box art on 2600 games.  Those were full blown paintings!  Did they have to do this?  No!  Most game companies didn't.  But Atari did, and it made the whole experience more special.  At some point in the Warner era, they lost this idea of doing more for no other reason than expanding the customer experience. 

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

Oh boy!  12 hours, 12 minutes left!  🙂  What are you printing?

Well it was SUPPOSED to be a cartridge holder for my 5200 cartridges.  Sadly I had to abort it with 10 hours and 49 minutes remaining.  When I was eyeballing it the size seemed to small, so I paused the print and checked it with a cartridge... sure enough... too small.  Grrrrrrrrrr!  🤬

<<< My YouTube Page >>>