Champ Games Announces Physical Carts and Digital ROMs!

sramirez2008

23 hours ago, Scott Stilphen said:

Who's making the carts?

The parts are being provided by Fred Quimby aka Batari on the AA forums. But I think the initial labels and manuals were likely printed by Al or whomever Al uses for those since I believe that is of the exact same quality. But the PCBs were coming from Fred.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

11 hours ago, CrossBow said:

The parts are being provided by Fred Quimby aka Batari on the AA forums. But I think the initial labels and manuals were likely printed by Al or whomever Al uses for those since I believe that is of the exact same quality. But the PCBs were coming from Fred.

Champ Games sourced a supplier for the labels and manuals.

What John Champeau does for the Atari 2600 is nothing short of amazing. I started with Champ's Galagon, Wizard of Wor, and have now added Elevator Agent. These samples are enough to tell me that he is the Wizard of Atari 2600. Currently I play them on a 7800, but right now I can only dream that he or another genius will make it possible to also emulate them on the 2600+ and even the VCS-800. Yes, I'm one of those who'd like to have it all. But for today as Frankie Valli might sing it: 🎶 ...So close, so close, and yet so far. 🎶 😀

Edited by Eaglebeak54

On 12/17/2023 at 8:36 PM, CrossBow said:

The parts are being provided by Fred Quimby aka Batari on the AA forums.... But the PCBs were coming from Fred.

The pcbs always came from Fred - both he and Chris Walton created the Harmony, and the Melody pcb (and variants of it) are a Harmony board w/o the USB + SD interface board.  But is Fred programming them, or is John C?

Yarusso always printed his own labels and manuals, and possibly the boxes? (though I think he might have out-sourced those).

2 hours ago, Scott Stilphen said:

The pcbs always came from Fred - both he and Chris Walton created the Harmony, and the Melody pcb (and variants of it) are a Harmony board w/o the USB + SD interface board.  But is Fred programming them, or is John C?

Yarusso always printed his own labels and manuals, and possibly the boxes? (though I think he might have out-sourced those).

Far as I know the boxes and manuals Al has been outsourcing for the past few years. I only state this as I've seen posts from him when he got these items back from a print shop and not been happy with them, or had the items shipped straight to PRGE so they were ready to be assembled to have for sale.

I didn't know that Fred was the only one able to provide PCBs? What happened with Joe from Pixels Past? I want to say I've seen some projects with his logo on them that were more recent and weren't related to Atari, but still I remember Joe providing earlier PCBs in the mid 2000s.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Prior to the Harmony cart (and subsequent Melody boards), Yarusso was getting boards from Joe Grand (AKA Pixels Past).  But when the option to use flash carts opposed to programming EPROMs and soldering boards, that's when he changed over.  Unfortunately, Yarusso kept a monopoly on those Melody pcbs, to the point that nobody can even purchase the boards for their own projects.  Likewise, the information on how to flash them has never been shared, either.

Can someone else make 2600 cartridge boards with enhancements like bank switching, what the DPC does? I know there are several people making boards.  I also had communication with another board maker there, private messages were deleted, and couldn't get other contact information. If you know someone, get other contact information like email, text#, or a social media with private messenger service. 

I can definitely say that Champ Games has a way with their games.  They did an amazing job with Scramble and Super Cobra Arcade, so when I found out about Turbo Arcade, I had to purchase it.  The demo showed that it was as close to the arcade game as possible, but the full version had even more options which added to the replay value.  Truly an amazing game.