Squad Challenge - Berzerk Enhanced Edition (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Berzerk Enhanced Edition
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: GAME 3
Bonus Challenge: Berzerk (original release) for Atari 2600
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST January 31, 2024
Nominated by @RickR and @Justin 

Objective

Play for the best possible time using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between January 1st through January 31st, 2024. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, FPGA or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds, save states and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

GAME 3. We will be playing Berzerk Enhanced Edition on GAME 3 Difficulty Settings. You'll need all the lives you can get because in this game Evil Otto is invincible and the robots stalk you with their lasers.

Bonus Challenge : Berzerk (Original Release) for Atari 2600

We are holding a BONUS CHALLENGE for all you Berzerk aficionados! If you'd like to compete in our Bonus Challenge, we will be playing the original release of Berzerk on Atari 2600 on GAME 3! If you don't have access to the newly released Berzerk Enhanced Edition but would like to play along with us, you can submit a score for the original Berzerk. Be sure to denote that your score is for Berzerk (Original Release) when posting your original Berzerk score!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 154th Squad Challenge! We're starting 2024 off with Berzerk Enhanced Edition which has become a popular release this holiday season with Atari publishing the game to coincide with the launch of their new Atari 2600+! If you don't own the game but would like to join in the fun, you can order Berzerk Enhanced Edition for $29.99 directly from Atari and receive it likely in time to be able to participate and post a high score in this Squad Challenge! You can also join in our Bonus Challenge with a score from the original 2600 Berzerk! :berzerk:

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Berzerk Enhanced Edition Instructions Available Online from Atari Here

large.THE_BIG_TIP_OFF-A.gif

Here are some real Pro-Tips for scoring big in BERZERK ENHANCED EDITION:

Quickdraw

As you move from one maze to another, continue pressing the fire button. It takes the robots a moment to start their attack - you can often zap them first when you enter shooting.

Predicting Otto's Entrance

Evil Otto always enters in the same place you do. Try to get away from this danger zone and near an exit as soon as possible.

Escape to the Sides

Because Evil Otto bounces up and down, it's easier to escape him through the side exits than the top or bottom exits.

Take Cover as Robots Obliterate Themselves

In difficult levels where there are a lot of fast-moving, fast-shooting robots, head for the cover of a maze wall immediately. Allow the robots to collide with each other and to shoot one another or to walk into your firing range. But don't wait long or you'll be trapped!

Scoring

You score 50 points for each robot destroyed. When all the robots in a single maze are destroyed, you score ten bonus points per robot. Robots explode when they're hit by your laser or the lasers of other robots, and when they run into maze walls, collide with each other, or get pounded by Evil Otto. You can score a total of 999,990 points before the score rolls over.

I'm updating the Difficulty Settings for this Squad Challenge for GAME 3 - You'll need all the lives you can get because in this game Evil Otto is invincible and the robots stalk you with their lasers. Atari has not included an updated matrix of Game variations in their online instructions.

2 hours ago, Justin said:

I'm updating the Difficulty Settings for this Squad Challenge for GAME 3 - You'll need all the lives you can get because in this game Evil Otto is invincible and the robots stalk you with their lasers. Atari has not included an updated matrix of Game variations in their online instructions.

That makes sense.  Remember that on this version the robots do fire diagonally as well.  That adds to the challenge.  I can play this one on emulation since I have the binary.  It was sent to me so I could write an article covering it on Old School Gamer. In fact, the issue with the article is out now.  🙂

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

4 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

That makes sense.  Remember that on this version the robots do fire diagonally as well.  That adds to the challenge.  I can play this one on emulation since I have the binary.  It was sent to me so I could write an article covering it on Old School Gamer. In fact, the issue with the article is out now.  🙂

I'll get in for Game 3; the Game 1 scores would've been astronomical.

13 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I was hoping I would get to participate with the Enhanced Edition but my copy of the game does not work.  I just opened it today, got a game screen for a few seconds, then a few bars, and nothing but black screen. I’m not sure who to get a hold of since it was a prize I won. I didn’t purchase it.

Damn, that's really beat 😕 I'm so sorry. I'm not sure if Atari would exchange it for you.

13 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I was hoping I would get to participate with the Enhanced Edition but my copy of the game does not work.  I just opened it today, got a game screen for a few seconds, then a few bars, and nothing but black screen. I’m not sure who to get a hold of since it was a prize I won. I didn’t purchase it.

I'd contact Atari.  This is an exclusive release for them, so they be willing to replace the game.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

13 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

How sure are you that it's the cartridge?

7 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Here’s what I get…

IMG_2021.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg

Do you have any other 2600 compatible systems you can try it on, to confirm that it's an issue with the cartridge? I see that your 2600 Jr. is modded, it's always possible there's something Berzerk Enhanced doesn't like about that :berzerk:

10 minutes ago, RickR said:

Let me know if you agree.  Orig seems a lot faster.  Maybe I'm just more tired today. 

Even though original Berzerk is one of my all time favorite 2600 games I've been hesitant to play it again since I broke my joystick a few years ago when Evil Otto almost gave me a heart attack. That old tale is true about breaking joysticks playing this game. Now I have a nice new 2600+ with a brand new joystick and I hope it's built better than they used to be.

On 1/5/2024 at 10:06 PM, Justin said:

Do you have any other 2600 compatible systems you can try it on, to confirm that it's an issue with the cartridge? I see that your 2600 Jr. is modded, it's always possible there's something Berzerk Enhanced doesn't like about that :berzerk:

My junior model only had a LED change.  Everything else in it is factory.  I tried two junior models, four switch, and 7800.  Same thing happens. Rest assure the junior model in the picture has not been modded beyond changing the power light.

No matter what console I put the game in it is not working.