Squad Challenge - Berzerk Enhanced Edition (Atari 2600)

Justin

6 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

My junior model only had a LED change.  Everything else in it is factory.  I tried two junior models, four switch, and 7800.  Same thing happens. Rest assure the junior model in the picture has not been modded beyond changing the power light.

No matter what console I put the game in it is not working.

That’s a bummer

6 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

My junior model only had a LED change.  Everything else in it is factory.  I tried two junior models, four switch, and 7800.  Same thing happens. Rest assure the junior model in the picture has not been modded beyond changing the power light.

No matter what console I put the game in it is not working.

Not that anyone should have to, but did you try cleaning the cart? I saw someone reporting similar issues with Mr. R&J that were resolved by cleaning and repeated inserts.

I didn't record this run because I had played like garbage earlier this evening, but that's fine. I stopped at 99,710 because I was getting tired and I'm pretty sure the score rolls over at 100,000. Maybe I'll record another day & go for a rollover. Maybe not lol. Oh, I played on Stella 6.7 for Mac OS and it's the 2600 Berzerk, Game 3.

20240112_2600 Berzerk Gm3 99710.jpg

My final entry: 111,810. It turns out this game rolls over at 1 million. I burned off my remaining lives after surpassing the TG and Lvl Up Score records held by ZilchSr.

It helps immensely to shoot the enemies diagonally whenever possible since they cannot shoot diagonally. So you can dodge their fire - even up close - while picking them off.

20240112 2600 Berzerk Gm3 111810.jpg

Edited by Marco1019
I attached the wrong jpg

Well, I got brave and took apart my Enhanced Edition cartridge.  Didn’t see anything but I remembered watching John Hancock showcasing new Atari VCS games by Atari where he said they don’t work because someone put the circuit boards in backwards.  Take them apart, flip the board, put it back together, and they will work.  So I tried that.  Nothing. Tried it the way it was going in and it started working again.  So I played a test game.  Game 3. Did a full run, lasted maybe five minutes.  Satisfied I turned the game off, reassembled it, put it back in the 2600 and…stupid thing won’t work again.  I’ve been trying to get it to work again since with no luck 😢

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations RickR and Marco1019!

Congratulations to @RickR on another RUNAWAY victory with Berzerk Enhanced Ediiton, and his THIRD win in a row! - and also CONGRATULATIONS to @Marco1019 on a definitive win with the original Berzerk for Atari 2600! "The Don" RickR takes the top spot in our Final Standings for Berzerk Enhanced Edition with an outstanding score of 32,300 points. Well done, Rick! Our runner up winner for Berzerk Enhanced Edition is @Smell Dawg who takes 2nd Place with an impressive score of 5,950 points. @TrekMD @Justin and @Sabertooth also joined in our Berzerk Enhanced Squad Challenge.

Twitch King @Marco1019 takes the top spot in our Final Standings for the original Atari 2600 version of Berzerk with an astounding score of 111,810 points! INCREDIBLE! Our runner up winner for Original Berzerk is "The Mayor" @greenween with a hard-fought 30,160 points. @RickR @Atari 5200 Guy and @Justin also took part in our Berzerk Original Squad Challenge.

Best Attempt Award goes to @Atari 5200 Guy who tried his best to participate in our Berzerk Enhanced Challenge, despite being sent a bum cart and going through a very difficult month. It means a lot that you’re still with us and that you tried to join in. You have lots of friends here who care about you.

As always I'd like to encourage @RickR and @Marco1019 to  post their high scores on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations once again to Rick for his BIG WIN.

👉 Be sure to join @Sabertooth in Club VCS for this month's VCS Recharged Squad Challenge, CAVERNS OF MARS: RECHARGED on the Atari VCS!

👉 @RickR is hosting a Club Evercade Let's Play this month for IREM Arcade #1!

:berzerk: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for Midnight Magic on Atari 2600. Be there!

large.final_standings_berzerk_enhanced_atari_2600.gif

large.final_standings_berzerk_atari_2600.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Thank you, @Justin, for the very kind words. Congratulations to @RickRon the three-peat! (It's something that I'd like to achieve at some point. I've won back-to-back a few times.) Lastly, congratulations to everyone who took part this month, and positive vibes to @Atari 5200 Guy!

It would've been cool to have tried the Enhanced version, but I don't have any hardware set up and I wasn't feeling the $29 price tag. Maybe that will change if I get a tax refund lol.

I have yet to play Midnight Magic on the 2600; I recall when the original David's Midnight Magic was first released back in the 1980s. I'll probably give it a go.