Atari 7800+ Announcement Trailer

Sabertooth

I have seen this just minutes ago and was coming by to share as well, you beat me to it BUT I will share the comment / thought I posted on Ben's announcement over on AA as well:

This does beg the question though, is it worth it for anyone other than a serious ATARI collector if they already have a 2600+ ? 

More importantly, should people like myself who don't already have a 2600+ but have been considering it simply wait for the 7800+ ?

Either way, seems like sweet times to be a classic Atari fan! 

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Posted (edited)

@MaximumRD - I think the 7800+ will benefit from all of the lessons learned launching the 2600+. It will surely have better compatibility out of the gate as it will presumably launch with the latest firmware. Also, that wireless CX78+ game pad is the chef's kiss. If I didn't have the 2600+, I would buy this in a toss up.

Also, some folks like the sleek industrial design on the 7800 more than the woodgrain. So choice is always good.

The big question for me is whether this has any other enhancements that might allow for greater compatibility with advanced homebrew. Otherwise, it's a bit redundant.

I do love all of these cart announcements and I'm happy to see Bob's games get a wider audience.

Edited by Sabertooth

1 hour ago, MistaMaddog said:

And new game carts for your existing systems too...

I'll get Bounty Bob Strikes Back. Other than the Epyx Collection, I have all of the other games already and I'm not interested in the Epyx games. I would suggest this console over the 2600+ for anyone that may have been considering the 2600+. You'll get the latest firmware, updated cartridge port, updated dumper and controller chips and of course, the wireless controllers. 

I've helped with the testing of the 2600+ firmware and, although I may be biased, IMO it's come along nicely. It's been nice to see Atari and the gaming community come together to make this a better product. I'm old-school and have plenty of consoles and CRTs to play on, but I really like Atari's "Plus" product line.

Game on everyone!

Al has alluded to there being other changes in the 7800+ but hasn't said anything else. Far as I know and has been found, it has the same hardware in it that the 2600+ is using. I'm sure it will have the updated dumper and FW changes for sure. But as the wireless controller is just a dongle and controller combo, it isn't something built into the console.

I do wonder if they might have found a way to get Savekeys or the AVox working but saving that for 7800+ only use? It would make sense to make the changes needed for that to work as there are more than a few games that take advantage of the score saving features at minimum. And I think ALL of Bob's games use Hi Score Cart and Save Key score saving ability? I know they use High Score cart saving in them at least. Oooo... wonder if they built that into the new FW...?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

At 1 AM EST 8/22/2024, The 7800 Pro Gamer and Funkmaster V dive head first into their thoughts about the upcoming Atari 7800+ that was announced yesterday. The games: Berzerk, Frenzy, Caverns of Mars, Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, the M Network collection, the Epyx Collection, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, The Realsports Collection, the design, the specs, the rumors, the wireless controllers, and of course- the return of Bob Decresenzo... and his aptly named new game "Bounty Bob Strikes Back"  Join us live for the chat or watch the replay the next day! #atari #atari7800 #retrogaming

:pole_position_blimp: Visit Atari 7800 Forever online: https://www.atari7800forever.com