awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Berzerk
Atari 2600
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 2

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST October 31st, 2018

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between October 15th through October 31st, 2018. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game 2. These settings offer a bonus life every 1,000 points, the robots fire at you and Evil Otto rebounds when you shoot him. Difficulty switches are not used in this game.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

:berzerk:  Welcome to our 45th Squad Challenge! Berzerk was programmed by Dan Hitchens and has become one of the pillar titles on Atari 2600. Initially an arcade smash hit, Berzerk is one of the arcade classics that came to define the 2600 in the early days of home video games. BE CAREFUL! I have literally broken CX-40 joysticks playing this game! That's no urban legend, this will actually happen. Be careful of Evil Otto! His sudden appearance on the screen can make you snap your joystick handle back so fast the plastic ring will break in the foot and you'll end up with a crunchy joystick! There are even reports of heart attacks and deaths from playing this game. One of the best selling and most loved Atari 2600 games of all time, it's also been one of the most requested for a Squad Challenge. It's also pretty easy to get your hands on, so hopefully we'll have lots of members participating. Let's see how far you can get. Enjoy!

Berzerk.binBerzerk.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

This game is brutal!  And not because of Evil Otto.  The game would pop me right next to a robot while going through the maze.  As soon as I shot the robot without moving it killed me, too.  Did that a few times.  Yea...just plant me next to a robot, thank you.

Then again this version is a bit more forgiving than the 5200 version.  That one is harsh.  "Chicken! Fight like a robot!"  Nope...can't fight like a robot.  Because I'm a Zombie!  LOL.  Wonder if a zombie would stand a better chance against these robots?

Edited by kamakazi20012

While I'm not anywhere near the top score, I do have some tips to share:

• Evil Otto appears where your guy starts the level.  That's why it's very important to move away from that spot as soon as you can.
  • Master diagonal shooting.  You can shoot diagonally.  The robots cannot.
  • Use the walls for cover.  Dumb robots may even walk right into them.
  • Start each level with a quick assessment.  Shoot the nearest robot and MOVE. 
  • Use a real 2600.  IMO, emulators don't offer fast enough controls.
  • Pick a tight, twitchy joystick.  It's so important to have no delay between your brain and hand.  MOVE! 

While I'm not anywhere near the top score, I do have some tips to share:

• Evil Otto appears where your guy starts the level.  That's why it's very important to move away from that spot as soon as you can.
  • Master diagonal shooting.  You can shoot diagonally.  The robots cannot.
  • Use the walls for cover.  Dumb robots may even walk right into them.
  • Start each level with a quick assessment.  Shoot the nearest robot and MOVE. 
  • Use a real 2600.  IMO, emulators don't offer fast enough controls.
  • Pick a tight, twitchy joystick.  It's so important to have no delay between your brain and hand.  MOVE! 

Umm...did you know that you can shoot Otto in this game?