Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Justin

Squad Challenge - F-ZERO (Super Nintendo)

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, RickR said:

2'26"79

Thanks for the advice.  I think I like the green car the best. 

Wild Goose! One of my favorites! Here's a little snippet on the Wild Goose and its driver Pico from the manual: 

wild_goose.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another strategy I rely pretty heavily on is the "CHECK Marker". It appears at the bottom of your screen and acts a bit like a rearview mirror. Along with audio cues it indicates the position of a rival coming up behind you. With a little skill you can maneuver as to block them and even have them slam into the back of your car in a  way that gives you a little boost! I remember getting this game for Christmas when it was new and on that first night wondering what the heck "CHECK" meant, and actually going to the manual and looking it up. It's a strategy that's paid off through the years. I suggest it to everyone who plays. and seeing if that strategy fits your play style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Justin said:

Wild Goose! One of my favorites! Here's a little snippet on the Wild Goose and its driver Pico from the manual: 

wild_goose.png

He looks just like me. I wear those exact shoes to work every day except casual Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RickR said:

2'29"74

I'm playing on a Retron 3.  This is a fun game.  The controls are a little sluggish -- I was expecting Mario Kart.  But it makes sense being in a hover craft and all. 

 

F-zero 001.JPG

F-zero 002.JPG

This is torture!  A score challenge for a game I absolutely love and I can't participate.  Emulation doesn't do this game justice.  Its simply too hard to navigate the courses with a computer keyboard and my PC controller lacks shoulder buttons. So...

I think I can offer a bit of advice.  Controls...learn the controls.  Recommended vehicle is Golden Fox.  For practice run use Mute City I. Don't do any turns with gas button held down.  When you have to turn, release the gas, make your turn, then hammer down on the gas again! 

For tight turns combine your turn with the shoulder buttons.  If you have to turn left use the left shoulder button at the same time you press left on the d pad, right shoulder when pressing right on d pad.  Don't use gas during any turns, when turns are completed hammer that gas button. 

Use shoulder buttons by themselves to slide your vehicle around course obstacles and to enter pits.  Avoid using d pad to navigate around same obstacles and pits.

On jumps hold the d pad down to gain momentum and speed.  Be careful not to steer off course.

Practice on Mute City I first, work your way up by trying Mute City II, and finally Mute City III.  The last two are variations of the first one.  The idea is learning the vehicle you are using and the course layout.  The faster you can take your turns and stay on a driving line to give you an advantage the better you track times will be.  Quick in, quick out of turns.  I can't express this enough.

The best place to use boost is after the last turn before completing a lap.  Its a long stretch that guarantees full use of your boost before you have to start navigating turns again.

 

Good luck and I hope the tips I gave help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

This is torture!  A score challenge for a game I absolutely love and I can't participate.  Emulation doesn't do this game justice.  Its simply too hard to navigate the courses with a computer keyboard and my PC controller lacks shoulder buttons. So...

Does anybody have an F-ZERO cartridge and SNES controller that they can lend kamikaze for this Squad Challenge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have honestly NEVER played this seriously anyway. Always a quick "lets check this out" kind of thing. I may not be able to join in on this one, I only have the rom on my Wii but my Wave Bird split its mortal coil some time ago. Not sure the WiiMote will work with this seeing a great number of SNES games wont. Let me play around and see what I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atari Creep said:

I have honestly NEVER played this seriously anyway. Always a quick "lets check this out" kind of thing. I may not be able to join in on this one, I only have the rom on my Wii but my Wave Bird split its mortal coil some time ago. Not sure the WiiMote will work with this seeing a great number of SNES games wont. Let me play around and see what I can do.

Don't miss out on this one, I hope you can join in 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2'08"25

20181206_191256.thumb.jpg.e36ec93fd4ecd868bf3b502445c45211.jpg

I was using the Blue Falcon at first, but now I too have taken the path of the Wild Goose. I also switched to using a game controller instead of the keyboard I usually use for emulation. (I'm going to see if there are keyboard settings that work well with the SNES. My emulator's default keys were going to destroy my fingers!)

My impression is there is a way to accelerate quickly from the starting line, like the AI drivers do, but I haven't figured it out yet, so instead I immediately slide to the right and let one of the other vehicles knock me forward. Cheap, I know, but it puts me in 1st very quickly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RadioPoultry said:

2'08"25

20181206_191256.thumb.jpg.e36ec93fd4ecd868bf3b502445c45211.jpg

I was using the Blue Falcon at first, but now I too have taken the path of the Wild Goose. I also switched to using a game controller instead of the keyboard I usually use for emulation. (I'm going to see if there are keyboard settings that work well with the SNES. My emulator's default keys were going to destroy my fingers!)

My impression is there is a way to accelerate quickly from the starting line, like the AI drivers do, but I haven't figured it out yet, so instead I immediately slide to the right and let one of the other vehicles knock me forward. Cheap, I know, but it puts me in 1st very quickly!

Don't let your craft hit full throttle at starting line.  You want between half and full throttle.  Quick taps will help maintain throttle.  Time your button mashes with the countdown.  Mash button as soon as GO is displayed.  Its a timing thing combined with 3/4 throttling.  You will get a boost and then the vehicle will lose power.  Keep holding down throttle to get speed back.  Rest is just navigating the track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Atarileaf said:

Argh I sold my copy a few months ago. Maybe I can pick up a cheap copy this weekend. If not I'll play it on my NES Classic. Stay tuned for another Atarileaf bad score! 😄

There is no such thing as a bad score.  The whole idea is to have fun playing...scores come second to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I've got to get use to the reacting thing.  I'm so use to the Like button I forget its a heart now.

Don't get too used to it yet, I still have to customize it 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2'03"90

I feel like I'm starting to hit my limit now. I spent a sizable amount of time trying to improve on this,  but I wasn't able to.

20181208_015346.thumb.jpg.13170a6f61a63c946bc5bba5816ebb10.jpg

I've started using Fire Stingray now.

The vehicle/driver selection seems oddly familiar. Fire Stingray/Samurai Goroh' s high speed and slow acceleration reminds me of Wave Race 64's D. Mariner, while the slower speed and high acceleration of Golden Fox/Kevin Stuart reminds me of Wave Race 64's... A. Stewart.... Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickR said:

Who has tips for making it through the minefield section?  That's where things always go wrong for me. 

I just use the shoulder buttons to dodge those.  Light taps work best.  Best driving line as you enter that section is diagonal.  If you hit one it will remain gone for the duration of the race.  Practice to find the best method that works best for you but those would be my tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×