Atari ST Essentials

Crazy.  Within a few days I've managed to locate a useful tool for ST owners.

SYSINFO

SysInfo is a small program that gives ST owners detailed information about their system.  Machine type, processor speed, amount of RAM, and more are printed out on your monitor/TV.  Kind of handy.  Program is a compressed PRG file, not a disk image.  

I am currently going through some more stuff to see what is helpful and learning how to use them.  I'll post more as I find more.  In the meantime, this is my resource:

Atari ST Essential Software 

8 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I found these for those who grab used games without manuals.  These are for the ST.

https://archive.org/details/AtariSTManuals_201812/mode/2up

This is cool, thank you for posting.  But, of course, annoying me, I have a question.

It looks like the only way to download the entire set is to do a "Torrent".  I have never done that.  Is there a Torrent app for Windows 10 that anyone would recommend?  Is there an easier way that I haven't thought of?

At the bottom of the screen are the list of games.  Click on the game you want a manual for. Once that page loads look to the download options on the right.  I recommend PDF if you can find it.  I've never used a torrent app to get anything from the internet archives.  Go for the PDF option if/when you see it.  I hope that helps.

I found an easier method.  Click on the game you want instructions for from the list at the bottom.  Once the instructions have loaded click on the icon at the top-right that has a down arrow with the words PDF/ePub.  Click on this.  A small window will pop-up.  Select the file type you want (I recommend PDF).  VIOLA!

Edited by kamakazi20012

7 hours ago, RickR said:

This is cool, thank you for posting.  But, of course, annoying me, I have a question.

It looks like the only way to download the entire set is to do a "Torrent".  I have never done that.  Is there a Torrent app for Windows 10 that anyone would recommend?  Is there an easier way that I haven't thought of?

As for your Torrent query. Heh, this is a whole new area but honestly gives you a access to a vast archive of files. I don't care what others do anymore than they should care what I do BUT I would only suggest, and I know that is not your intent, avoid Torrenting big entertainment that music / movie / game companies might not be to happy about. I DON'T  want this turning into the big debate of discussion on torrent laws, morals etc, in fact I WILL remove any further comments if anyone goes off on their view of using a torrent client so let's just stay on topic after this 😉 but I would feel irresponsible of me to at least touch on the OBVIOUS and say stay away from movies / TV shows / Music and those are the things the big companies get the most protective over. That all said, 30 year old videogames, roms, manuals, books, text AND OF COURSE anything that falls under OPEN SOURCE or is clearly created originally for the source of sharing or being FREE knock yourself out. Lots of Linux distro for example offer torrents of their work. 

You will i need need a torrent "client" to make sense of a torrent file regardless of what it contains. My personal favorite go to is qBittorrent after trying many over the years. That is just my opinion. Short story, download and install client, most things are configured automatically (you don't want to mess with defaults until you know exactly what you are doing but I have never really found reason to do so anyways) once installed it should automate the handling of the torrent file, sometimes just clicking the file will open the client, sometimes the actually torrent file will download (it's tiny) and you will have to click on it afterwards to engage the client, always just carefully read and follow instruction the first time you click on a torrent file, your browser my just pop up the option asking you if you want the client to open it and "remember" that choice. Other than THAT, and I am not being cheeky here but I simply give you  link to THIS article, a fairly recent Beginners guide to torrenting by Lifehacker: https://lifehacker.com/a-beginners-guide-to-bittorrent-285489 

They include the info and links to clients, welcome to the club. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

My intentions were not to invoke or promote torrent-style pirating.  However, that being said, programs and docs for ST computers are becoming a rarity these days.  Personally, if I wanted a physical ST game I would have to make my own, but it would be made strictly for personal use only.  It is easier for me to go find a game on my shelf, take it down to play, and put back when I'm done.  It is a job to have to put games on disk every time I want to play them.  Especially for the ST.  

Again...it was not posted with the intention of illegal activities intended.  Only as a resource.

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Perfect, thanks.  My intention would be to grab the full set of manuals and turn off the client.  Get in, get out. 

Right-click where it says 499 Items on the PDF option on the web page. You will be able to download all as a ZIP, or right-click on PDF on Firefox. It should give you the option to download as a ZIP as well. Be warned: it is 1.3 GB in size. If you have a fast Internet connection, and I assume that you do, it will download in 10-20 minutes. Thanks. :)

4 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

At the bottom of the screen are the list of games.  Click on the game you want a manual for. Once that page loads look to the download options on the right.  I recommend PDF if you can find it.  I've never used a torrent app to get anything from the internet archives.  Go for the PDF option if/when you see it.  I hope that helps.

I found an easier method.  Click on the game you want instructions for from the list at the bottom.  Once the instructions have loaded click on the icon at the top-right that has a down arrow with the words PDF/ePub.  Click on this.  A small window will pop-up.  Select the file type you want (I recommend PDF).  VIOLA!

I'd like to commend @kamakazi20012 on his nice use of the open edit. Well done sir, hats off to ya :Nolan_Bushnell: