Squad Challenge - Battlezone (Atari 2600)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Battlezone
Atari 2600
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 2 Intermediate
Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST February 28th, 2019

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between February 15th through February 28th, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game 2 Intermediate Play. Difficulty Switches are not used in this game.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

Message: Welcome to our 53rd Squad Challenge! To celebrate our 52nd Squad Challenge we are playing our first 5200 Squad Challenge! Battlezone is an Atari icon. It was a vector game in the arcade, but became one of the better ports to the Atari 2600 using standard graphics. PDF Battlezone Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Batlzone.bin

Battlezone.pdf

Cool!!! A game I'm actually good at!!!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

49000 on gm 2

Battlezone gm 2 high score.JPG

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

55 minutes ago, RickR said:

It sure does!  I can't remember if Battlezone is better or worse than Robot Tank.  I'll find time to try them both and see. 

Battlezone almost feels like a 7800 game, but not quite. I would've loved to have seen Battlezone on 7800 and I suspect we would've seen one had Warner not sold the company in 1984.

Oh yeah, a 7800 version would have been fantastic I'm sure. 

It really is an amazing game for the 2600.  They took liberties with the graphics, but it ends up working really well.  I think it was developed by Mike Feinstein of GCC, who had a hand in a lot of other of the later, well-done ports on the 2600. 

2 hours ago, RickR said:

It sure does!  I can't remember if Battlezone is better or worse than Robot Tank.  I'll find time to try them both and see. 

Personally I like Robot Tank a little better, but they are neck and neck for me. On my list of 197 ranked game, BZ is 24 and RT is 23. Yup, it's close. However, you do have to play RT and little differently than BZ to fully appreciate it.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I have to admit, there was a LOT about the 2600 I never knew about until I found Atari IO and gave the 2600 an honest chance.  I got Robot Tank before I got Battlezone.  To my surprise both are very good games and it is easy to tell how they are both almost alike.  Robot Tank, however, took the Battlezone concept and blew it out of the water in my opinion.  The various elements that go up against the player in Robot Tank are astounding.  I like both games but I believe I like Robot Tank a tad bit better.  It just does so much more that helps the game retain some replay value over Battlezone.  

Playing now.  Will have a score up soon.

I suppose I better live up to my review, lol.

Seems to me a big part of getting a high score is the simple luck of where some of the tanks pop up. I played a bunch of games to get this one.

70,000 (Atari GH Vol 1 DS, Played on a 3DS XL)

bz.thumb.jpg.263cf1e770ae71feea2c5252b5b8161d.jpg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I have been SO busy I didnt even see there was a new challenge. So while in Wed night chat I pulled out my Atari portable and played a few rounds. I have all day tomorrow to get a last min entry in. Here is my first score, yes going to work on it. Hahaha

20190227_214356_HDR.jpg

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I wish that I had been paying attention but it looks like I'll just get one score in before the day is up: 57,000 on a 4-switch with a CX-40.

What a fantastic game!  I always loved this version as it played to the strengths of the 2600. In some ways it's more fun/interesting than the arcade original.

Has anyone played the Rebellion update on PS4/VR?  It's excellent! 

image.jpeg