Star Trek: Picard

TrekMD

4 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Yes! And it didn't take all season to get us there!

Correct!  A sign of good writing!  And OMG, the revelation was a surprise and even explains where the Titan finds itself at the end of the episode. Thursday can't get here fast enough!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

OK, episode four was just awesome!  I am going to watch it again tomorrow.  There's so much to absorb!  Great character moments and loved how the nebula storyline was concluded. 

Spoiler

Riker throwing an asteroid at the Shrike was precious!  Talk about poetic justice! 

Oh, this is not just a great season of Star Trek Picard.  Its an excellent season of Star Trek!

Edited by TrekMD

This is more general Trek, but I've really gotten into the podcast The Shuttlepod Show lately. Hosted by Enterprise stars Dominic Keating and Conner Trinneer, they do deep dives with other actors, writers and other contributors to various Trek series. A lot of behind the scenes and showbiz stuff, but very interesting. Here's a link to the show and a recent episode with Michael Dorn.

https://youtube.com/@ShuttlepodShow

12 hours ago, peteym5 said:

I will be honest. Season 3 of Star Trek Picard feels more like the Star Trek everyone is used to and enjoy. The first 4 episodes are more like an ongoing movie or the DS9 Multi-part story arc than what we saw in the first two seasons of the show or Star Trek Discovery. 

And there's such a good payout at the end of ep 4.  It all makes sense.  Bravo to the creators of this season. 

OK, I finished watching it a few minutes ago.  Damn!

Spoiler

- It was so cool to see Ro Laren again.  It is sad she died but she did move the story forward.  I thought it was cool she felt comfortable in calling Picard by his first name.

- Damn, these changelings are something else.  They can even form inner organs?  Wow!  That may explain why they look so different from how they looked in DS9 when in their goo form.

- Worf and Raffi together a just awesome!  Finally good to see the stories merge by the end of this episode. 

-  Shaw continues to be a total ass.  Hopefully, after what he just saw he opens his damn eyes!!!

3 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I, unfortunately, was spoiled by none other than Google.  I opened Google on the phone and there was an article, front and center, that said it all in the title.  Regardless, I did enjoy the episode and the character.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.  I'm sorry that happened to you, it really sucks! 

The Star Trek: Picard Facebook group has taken the step of not allowing ANY posts on their page for 48 hours after an episode drops, which I think is nice and kind of sad.  They couldn't prevent people from spoiling without this policy. 

Your notes are spot on and I just have a few to add:

Spoiler
  • I love how they quickly explain the issues before I can say "pfft".  For example, Ep 5 starts with Riker still in command while captain a-hole is standing right there.  Before I can even say "why isn't he captain again?", Riker hands over command.  GOOD writing!
  • My wife says Jack is a victim of the upside-down from Stranger Things.  No argument here. 
  • While I don't really like the darkness of the starships, I do like all the little TNG touches.  Like the LCARS-like displays and the sounds.  These little details add so much!  And while I love the old-school design and look of the USS Titan, it makes me a touch sad how they've given up on the Galaxy class look for starships (nobody likes the fat ones).  Just sprinkle one or two in -- come on! 

@RickR- Re: The LCARS displays and other TNG touches, they apparently brought on Michael Okuda to help in Season 3.

For me, this approach is what was missing in the first two seasons. It's not "fan service" to care about continuity and the history these characters already have. This is where the new showrunner gets it.