Star Trek: Picard

TrekMD

At the present time, this looks a little too over the top for me.  Seriously, bringing back so many of Picard's enemies at the same time with them all gunning for him at the same time?  Also, how could so few cause so much damage to the Federation?  I think I'll sit back and wait for the season to be at least half over and hear the reviews before I decide to watch any of it or not, because once you see something, you cannot erase it from your mind.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

3 hours ago, RickR said:

So who is that main villain?  I recognize the two at the end but not the angry lady.  She needs to chill. 

While I do not recognize the character or understand her history / issues with Picard a couple things I thought of interest at least from my perspective, I found her ship similar to the mining vessel that Nero commanded (Played by Eric Bana in JJ Abrams's Star Trek) no connection just an observation. Her character Vadic reminded me a little of Star Trek II's Kahn as far as her dialogue went, over the top, very hateful towards Picard and seemingly wanting him to suffer etc. Lastly she is played by Amanda Plummer daughter of Christopher Plummer who of course was the  General Chang in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. So I can see why they would choose her to be the villain though I am not really sold on her characters look / style, I think they should have made her more "Alien" looking then an old lady with bad emo hair but we will see if her performance can get me past that 😏🤷‍♂️I honestly more intrigued about the return of LORE and of course Professor Moriarty the Holodeck version of the classic Sherlock Holmes that was just as brilliant as his written version becoming so self aware he was even able to take control of the Enterprise. Did Lore have something to do with bringing him back? To aid him in whatever nefarious plan he surely has? I've enjoyed Picard, not as much as I enjoyed the new Star Trek Strange New Worlds but I really thought oafter wrapping up the Q / Borg storyline I didn't think they could come up with anything that would excite me for this supposedly final Picard season but I admit the trailer did peak my interest. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I just watched the trailer, special message and panel from NYCC.

In terms of the new villain, I would have rather Denise Crosby reprise Commander Sela. It almost seems like the new villain was a space holder for something Romulan.

I'm excited to see Lore return. Meh on Moriarty. I think they absolutely wasted Q last season and he's the best villain on TNG by a mile.

They might have brought back Dr. Pulaski since Moriarty and she had a connection and story.

Not to be overly critical, I will watch this. I'm just not terribly excited after season 2. Frankly, the special message feels like an appeal to forgive them and give it another shot.

Edited by Sabertooth

14 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

In terms of the new villain, I would have rather Denise Crosby reprise Commander Sela. It almost seems like the new villain was a space holder for something Romulan.

I'm excited to see Lore return. Meh on Moriarty. I think they absolutely wasted Q last season and he's the best villain on TNG by a mile.

They might have brought back Dr. Pulaski since Moriarty and she had a connection and story.

Not to be overly critical, I will watch this. I'm just not terribly excited after season 2. Frankly, the special message feels like an appeal to forgive them and give it another shot.

I agree with all of this 100%.  I had forgotten how "meh" season 2 was, and how they had wasted Q and left so many head scratching questions due to bad writing. 

On Lore, yes that is exciting...but it's been way too much Brent Spiner in this series.  Again, having him in season 2 now seems like overexposure.  I will forgive if they do something really good with the Lore character. 

Honestly, that video didn't do a thing for me other than make me a little bit curious about why they didn't "get" this sooner.  Duh!  Season 1 came alive only when Data and Riker/Troi were featured.  More of this and less grotesque pulling out eyeballs please!

I'll be there watching.  With sincere hopes that it's good.

Season 3 - Episode 1

My summary:  Good, but I'm cautious.  Seasons 1 and 2 left bad tastes in my mouth. 

Spoiler
  • What's good:  The scenes with Picard and Riker are really enjoyable.  Scenes with 7 of 9 are really good.  Believe it or not, even the scenes with dickhead Captain Shaw are really good (we need somebody to hate).  Thar be many easter eggs and I love it.  Crash LaForge!
  • What's bad:  Raffi scenes just feel so out of tone with everything else.  Why is everything so dark in the future? 

Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It has such a different tone from the prior seasons. 

Spoiler

- Shaw is an asshole but, apparently, we learn to like him as the show progresses as he demonstrates how capable he is.

- I loved the exchange 7 had with a friend.  Riker clearly was not expecting that tone!  Picard was not surprised but I'm glad that 7 did what she did. I think Shaw will end up swallowing his words about 7 loyaling her career to hell. 

- I'm going to guess that Worf is Raffy's handler.  I believe that is being done on purpose that way (dark) because of the problems this character has had in the past, problems that are clearly listed on her profile that is shown.

- Watch this: 

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

If it's not broken, don't fix it.  Go Woke, go broke.  Positivity is more entertaining than a continual bleak and depressing outlook.  I'm still on the fence.  I'll ask you guys when the season is 75% done what you think.  But after Discovery and a couple of the movies, I did something I never thought I'd do... I quit watching the offending series.

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

25 minutes ago, - Ω - said:

If it's not broken, don't fix it.  Go Woke, go broke.  Positivity is more entertaining than a continual bleak and depressing outlook.  I'm still on the fence.  I'll ask you guys when the season is 75% done what you think.  But after Discovery and a couple of the movies, I did something I never thought I'd do... I quit watching the offending series.

With one exception, I've read nothing but positive reviews of this season.  Also a lot of emphasis on how this "feels" like Star Trek.  I can tell you I can hardly wait for the next episode!

1 hour ago, RickR said:

I wonder how those people have seen the whole thing already 🙂

They are professional reviewers and were allowed to watch it ahead of time.  I only hope what they say is true.  I get the feeling from the first episode it is.  I'm also hoping we get more Trek like this, if that is the case.  Terry Matalas may be the "new blood" we needed in the production side of these shows.