Squad Challenge - 2019 Pole Position II Grand Prix (Atari 7800)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Pole Position II
Atari 7800
Controller: CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: FUJI
Achieve high score to win challenge

Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST August 31st, 2019

:pole_position_blimp:  OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score racing on the FUJI Track in Pole Position II. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between August 15th through August 31st, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

:pole_position_blimp:  ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

:pole_position_blimp:  PLAY RULES: Achieve high score to win Grand Prix Challenge. Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

:pole_position_blimp:  DIFFICULTY LEVEL: We are racing on the FUJI Track on Pole Position II. Players will select FUJI at the title screen.

:pole_position_blimp:  FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

:pole_position_blimp:  MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: https://forums.atari.io/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

:pole_position_big:

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 67th Squad Challenge, the 2019 Pole Position II Grand Prix! This will be our second Pole Position II Grand Prix Event! This year the Grand Prix will be a little different: This year's challenge will only be for half a month and we will only be racing the FUJI Track in an attempt to achieve your best high score! Last year the Grand Prix lasted for the entire month and we raced all four tracks for the best lap time. This year we are keeping things simple: We are racing for the best possible score on the FUJI Track. Pole Position is one of the most iconic arcade games released by Atari and was genre-defining for its time, setting a new standard of what racing gameplay could be like. Pole Position II of course was the pack-in title for the Atari 7800, and is often remembered as the first game 7800 owners played on their new game system. I have so many wonderful memories of playing Pole Position at Chuck E. Cheese's with my family, shifting gears and whipping around corners with a cheese stick in my hand and a cup of root beer on the floor under my feet. Pole Position II was also one of my favorite games to play at home and a wonderful memory on the Atari 7800. ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for Sega Genesis. Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Pole_Position_II.a78 Pole_Position_II.pdf

I managed to play and get a screenshot but I'm having issues with my cart.  On the Title Screen the game will often turn to pastel colors and freeze.  I'm not sure what's causing it but I'm going to try cleaning the contacts on the cart and machine to see if that solves the issues.  Played with a Europad controller.  I made it to the 3rd lap.  I kept finding cars who wanted to move over in front of me all of a sudden.  How nice of them.

1054245506_Picture34.jpg.f64d0e723d82eb2c1b31e71dfeace7b1.jpg

2060613431_Picture35.jpg.2e012993886114be31987a3e18c22bbb.jpg

Played on real hardware of course.

I managed to coax a game out of the cart and capture the score before it repeated the above image.  I also managed to increase my score and actually finish the race!  Game play seems fine...it's just when the cart has been on for a bit it acts up.  It kind of reminds me of the 2600 Defender I had.  So, yea, the ROM in this cart might be getting where it can't hold the code any more.

433518075_Picture38.thumb.jpg.75de9b371dd34e9565b345252d39e531.jpg

The console is OK and so is the power supply.  After posting picks of my last score I changed the cartridge with Joust and left it on for hours.  It was still playing as it should when I checked it just a few minutes ago.  Power supply is staying cool as is the console.  It's only doing this with PPII.

Edited by kamakazi20012

14 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

The console is OK and so is the power supply.  After posting picks of my last score I changed the cartridge with Joust and left it on for hours.  It was still playing as it should when I checked it just a few minutes ago.  Power supply is staying cool as is the console.  It's only doing this with PPII.

Your race car needs an oil change. 

Well, tried cleaning the contacts on the cartridge, taking it apart and using a Dremel with a polishing pad.  Still made no difference.  I think the ROM is giving out.  There's no other explanation other than that.  Looks like I'm out for the remainder of this challenge unfortunately.  It would be too difficult to obtain a score if I have to wait for the screen to do a demo as there is no guarantee the wouldn't lock up before I could capture the score.  And with the ROM acting up I have no real way of knowing if the game is working as intended.  I don't want to post a bogus score due to a fault in the game's ROM.  Sorry guys.

That sharp left can be taken full throttle if tackled from the inside and let your car slide to the outside.  Be mindful of where on coming cars are located before going into the turn.  And if you have to, instead of braking, downshift for a split second then slam it back into hi gear.

It's surprising to think Fuji and Suzuka are actual real-life tracks although both have gone through some changes.  Those tracks are also available on many other racing games including Gran Turismo, MotoGP, Forza, R Racing Evolution, and I'm sure that there are more I have not heard of yet.  Suzuka has a history of claiming the life of a 23-year old MotoGP Champion in 2003.  That rider's motorcycle and number were permanently retired after.  The track is owned by Honda and went through many changes before that 2003 race.  I am unsure if Seaside is a real-life track or an original track for PPII. 

You motivated me to download an Atari 7800 emulator onto my laptop so I could join the fun! Truth be told, on the second-to-last lap, I had just run out of time when I coasted over the start/finish line, qualifying me for the final lap.  Luck of the draw!

Oh yeah, my score is 65,000

Pole Position II.jpg

Edited by Lauren Tyler
Wrong file.

12 minutes ago, Lauren Tyler said:

Truth be told, on the second-to-last lap, I had just run out of time when I coasted over the start/finish line, qualifying me for the final lap.  Luck of the draw!

Happened to me on one of my runs, lol...  it feels good to just barely make it like that.  I do it a lot on Sega Rally on the Dreamcast.  😃