Squad Challenge - Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800)

Justin

75,610! Almost certainly my best score ever on this game!

20200412_100547.jpg.517295d4c1332a5fb3d6106ec0f322cd.jpg

I didn't notice any control delay issues to speak of. Here is the controller I am using. It's not perfect,  but it is very clicky,  so I know when I should actually be changing direction. Maybe that helps? Or maybe I'm just not as observant as you guys!

20200412_180501.jpg.425c2dd875c691d805ba2e7f1855ee43.jpg

Edited by RadioPoultry

1 hour ago, Justin said:

This Squad Challenge comes to a close tonight, good luck everybody! :pac_man:

I'm wearing an elbow brace today, and plan on trying once more after work.  It isn't Ms. Pac Man's fault -- I overdid the weekend warrior stuff.  But it sure does hurt to play. 

46 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'm wearing an elbow brace today, and plan on trying once more after work.  It isn't Ms. Pac Man's fault -- I overdid the weekend warrior stuff.  But it sure does hurt to play. 

Good luck, @RickR! I hope you feel better! Are you playing with a Pro-Line Joystick?

3 hours ago, RickR said:

Suncom Slik Stik. 

20200414_095017.jpg

NIce!  I like it's cousin...the Starfighter.  Both look really nice.

I think my challenge ends here.  I've tried and tried and I can't even come close to the score I made.  The most I've been able to reach is the 40,000 point range.  

22 hours ago, Justin said:

I'm glad to see the 7800 is alive and well!

The 7800 is a great console.  Don't let any one or anything else tell you any different.  If only Atari had poured more into its game resourcing and development when it counted.  The 7800 had what took the NES a few more years to obtain.  Both systems could be expanded through the cartridge slots but the 7800 had what could expand it already available...the NES didn't start getting stuff to expand its abilities until a couple of years after it had launched.  The 7800 could have been the NES killer.  It would have been a no brainer to support console full force.  The 7800 is still alive and well and will be as long as there those that own one and continue to use it.

PS - I am done for now.  Good job @kamakazi20012 and @RadioPoultry and @greenween and everyone else.  These are some incredible scores!  This game is so much fun.  If my arm wasn't killing me, I'd definitely give it another go.  I like that blue maze in my picture above a lot more than the brown one that precedes it.  It has a lot less tight corners to get stuck in (and I think that's where the lag comes in). 

26 minutes ago, RickR said:

PS - I am done for now.  Good job @kamakazi20012 and @RadioPoultry and @greenween and everyone else.  These are some incredible scores!  This game is so much fun.  If my arm wasn't killing me, I'd definitely give it another go.  I like that blue maze in my picture above a lot more than the brown one that precedes it.  It has a lot less tight corners to get stuck in (and I think that's where the lag comes in). 

Wow, I'm impressed by you guys! I haven't even reached the fourth maze.  I've been just trying to maximize my score on earlier levels because I can't get that far. (I got so close last time, though!)

Holy crap @RickR!  For being on the injured list you really nailed it with that score.  I seen that maze RickR took a picture of for the first time on the 7800 when I posted my score.  I've not been able to get off the third maze at all if I even make it that far.

Look hard enough at the maze in Rick's picture and you can see a smiling face.

1 hour ago, RadioPoultry said:

Wow, I'm impressed by you guys! I haven't even reached the fourth maze.  I've been just trying to maximize my score on earlier levels because I can't get that far. (I got so close last time, though!)

That's probably a much better strategy than mine.  I pretty much try to clear the maze and get the fruit.  Once you get up to a certain level, chasing ghosts gets way too dangerous for me.  I use the tunnels a lot when I've got a swarm behind me.  Eat a few dots on the other side of the maze, then go back through when they come over there.  Repeat and rinse. 

1 hour ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Holy crap @RickR!  For being on the injured list you really nailed it with that score.  I seen that maze RickR took a picture of for the first time on the 7800 when I posted my score.  I've not been able to get off the third maze at all if I even make it that far.

Look hard enough at the maze in Rick's picture and you can see a smiling face.

I really hate that brown maze you mention, and I lose most of my lives there.  There's a little jog next to the top power pellets that's super hard to navigate quickly.  If you get a ghost chasing you there, it's almost certain death. 

Edited by RickR