Squad Challenge - Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800)

Justin

21 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Holy crap!  You have Secret of NIHM!  I love that one.  I played the heck out of that one on CED growing up.  I actually played that one so much that it got to where it wouldn't play well anymore and I never found another.  Love Don Bluth animation and Dom's voice works perfect for the crow character.

It's a great movie, isn't it? I first saw it when I was maybe 5, and I only remembered fragments until I saw it again many years later. Some of the best animation I've seen. I don't know if they did something special with the VHS, but the soundtrack in particular came across really well.

That's so cool that you had a CED player! I wasn't even familiar with CEDs until a few years ago, but I find it a really interesting technology.

Edited by RadioPoultry

1 hour ago, Atari Creep said:

My score 14970

Hers 5020

Strong language

That in-law story at 36:28 was wild hogs. So awesome that you and BTB brought your wives into this challenge. I hope everyone will invite their families to join in on games like this!

“You’re telling stories and half paying attention to the game” Man, that’s what nights like these are all about :yars_revenge:

On 4/6/2020 at 11:06 AM, Justin said:

That in-law story at 36:28 was wild hogs. So awesome that you and BTB brought your wives into this challenge. I hope everyone will invite their families to join in on games like this!

“You’re telling stories and half paying attention to the game” Man, that’s what nights like these are all about :yars_revenge:

No one told me there'd be story telling at this Atari campout!  I came unprepared 😉 Anyone bring the stuff to make SMORES with?

Edited by kamakazi20012

Ok quick question - Who is playing on real hardware, and who is playing via emulation?  

The reason I ask is because I’m playing on a 7800 and by the 4th screen I feel like there is some serious controller lag.  Anyone else dealing with this?  I’m wondering if the more you play the more the memory gets taxed... I don’t know, just guessing.  

Sound off, let me know.

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

3 minutes ago, btbfilms76 said:

Ok quick question - Who is playing on real hardware, and who is playing via emulation?  

The reason I ask is because I’m playing on a 7800 and by the 4th screen I feel like there is some serious controller lag.  Anyone else dealing with this?  I’m wondering if the more you play the more the memory gets taxed... I don’t know, just guessing.  

Sound off, let me know.

I've done both, and the controller lag is real on both.  I really feel like the speed of the game gets up to a certain level and then the controls really require you to push them in advance.  So it's not lag...it's like the opposite...telegraph your moves. 

PS - I'm using "MESS" as the emulator on a Windows 10 PC with real joystick using a USB adapter. 

Edited by RickR

22 hours ago, btbfilms76 said:

BTB - 13730

Nicole - 6460

This was our last game during filming. 

B9F37D0D-7093-40EB-B10E-A1F405A1EFD8.png

Great to see you and @Atari Creep including your wives in the Squad Challenge! We should do stuff like this more often, especially on games that everybody knows like Ms. Pac-Man. I love that you guys got them to join in on this.

22 hours ago, btbfilms76 said:

Sound off, let me know.

I'm experiencing something similar. Playing with a 7800 Control Pad on real hardware, on one of the "newest" 7800s from that last run, which should be identical to your 7800  @btbfilms76because we both got the same thing from @Video 61 a few years ago.

I've made it through about 8 screens, up into the Pear levels. Yes, I'm experiencing some sort of controller lag and it's been in the back of my mind this entire time we've been playing. But, no, what I perceive is the same amount of controller lag right from the start. I feel it the same on the 1st screen as I do on the 8th.

I'm especially noticing it in the corners. One of my strategies is to make the ghosts chase me around until they are in a herd, then dart off to one of the corners by a power pellet, then wait until they're almost on top of me before I eat the pellet, then turn around and eat the ghosts. Lately I feel like when I do that, on the first screens where the power pellets are toward the corners, I'll time it to where they're right up on me then hit the d-pad to move toward a pellet, except Ms. Pac-Man will just sit there and that first tap of the d-pad is unresponsive. Does this have something to do with my position on the screen being in the corners? Does this have to do with so many sprites (herd of all 4 ghosts) being so close to me? Does this have to do with Ms. Pac-Man being stopped? Is this all in our minds?

@btbfilms76 We always like to say "The Atari 7800 was like the Neo-Geo of its day. It had so many arcade games on it and it did them so well, it was close to arcade-perfect." But then I start noticing things like this control issue on Ms. Pac-Man, and I get that same sinking feeling of impending doom like when you know you've failed a test in school.

I first remembered this "lag" issue when I started playing last week for this Squad Challenge. It was minor, and I thought it was the controller I was using. Then @Gianna and I played together on 2-Player, and she said the same thing. We went through like four different controllers and she was still feeling it. Then I saw your Ms. Pac-Man episode, and Nicole was saying the exact same stuff about the controllers that Gianna was saying. Then the same thing happened again when @Atari Creep streamed Ms. Pac-Man with his lady, and it was the same story. This is an otherwise excellent version of Ms. Pac-Man, I wish these lag issues didn't exist.

22 hours ago, RickR said:

I've done both, and the controller lag is real on both.  I really feel like the speed of the game gets up to a certain level and then the controls really require you to push them in advance.  So it's not lag...it's like the opposite...telegraph your moves. 

PS - I'm using "MESS" as the emulator on a Windows 10 PC with real joystick using a USB adapter. 

Agreed. But there comes a point where it's requiring us to "telegraph our moves" so far in advance that it starts to feel like the controller is broken.

On 4/8/2020 at 3:11 PM, btbfilms76 said:

Sound off, let me know.

Real hardware and cart for me using a Europad controller.  I've also tried a standard 7800 and 2600 joystick...same lag issues.  I'm betting to get that much speed out of the game the control inputs had to take a backseat.

Best game of Ms. Pac-Man I've ever played on the 7800...and I used a standard controller!

IMG_20200411_023755.jpg.d2af210bac65d52eb4a1ba906f85dabe.jpg

See?  Real hardware stuff.

IMG_20200411_023809.jpg.857899e3c99b9012c7f7e19f07428afc.jpg

He he...all the Atari kids came into the out since we humans have been under lockdown 🙂 I reached the fourth maze again but this time did not notice the same lag.  The game was a single game started from power up...there were no games played beforehand.  I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Edited by kamakazi20012

On 4/2/2020 at 10:00 PM, Justin said:

Some people really don't like it

🤬Uh?!?  In the words of Q*Bert..."!#@$%"  How can you NOT like this game!  It's by far the best port of the queen of video games long before emulation came along.  And that's saying a LOT coming from me because I thought the 5200 version was great.  100% perfect?  No but it's pretty damn close.  How dare them.  Have they not seen the NES port of Ms. Pac-Man???  That game looks terrible.

Maybe if they tried it with a different controller?  I can understand not liking 7800 games because of the standard controller.  That thing would kill the joy out of everything it was used on.  My least favorite controller to use except with this game.  It works well with this game.  It's when I have to use those fire buttons is when I have issues.  It throws the controller off balance when you have to use those buttons.

9 hours ago, RickR said:

Wow @kamakazi20012, great score!  I will try later this weekend, but I don't know if my wrist and controller can make it to 69k!  Nicely done.

Thank you kind Sir.  I've never done that high of a score before. 

9 hours ago, RickR said:

What really sucks is how the power pellets last about 2 seconds on those higher levels.  No relief. 

That's no joke.  You ought to see what i seen when I made that score.  All the power pellets did was cause the ghosts to change directions.  That was it.  No blue or blinking.  That's what got me.  I thought I would have at least a few flashes to eat one ghost.  Nope.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:55 AM, kamakazi20012 said:

🤬Uh?!?  In the words of Q*Bert..."!#@$%"  How can you NOT like this game!  It's by far the best port of the queen of video games long before emulation came along.  And that's saying a LOT coming from me because I thought the 5200 version was great.  100% perfect?  No but it's pretty damn close.  How dare them.  Have they not seen the NES port of Ms. Pac-Man???  That game looks terrible.

Maybe if they tried it with a different controller?  I can understand not liking 7800 games because of the standard controller.  That thing would kill the joy out of everything it was used on.  My least favorite controller to use except with this game.  It works well with this game.  It's when I have to use those fire buttons is when I have issues.  It throws the controller off balance when you have to use those buttons.

Just because of the "lag" issue. I always LOVED Ms. Pac-Man on the 7800! It was with my first few games I got with the Atari 7800 when it first came out and have so many great memories of sitting on the floor in front of the TV playing this game with my family. Definitely caught a serious case of Pac-Man fever. I never noticed the control issue when I was younger, and didn't even think much about it until this Squad Challenge.