What 2600 game (or Hat Trick) should I get with my $5 discount?

HDN

With my five dollar discount, which "free" game should be my last purchase before Christmas?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What game should I get of these?

• Crystal Castles (error copy marked down to $5 instead of $10)
    • Video Chess
    • Hat Trick
    • Demons to Diamonds (I play a lot of multiplayer Atari)
    • Dragster
    • Grand Prix
    • Missile Command

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/25/2020 at 04:59 AM

I have my last $5 discount at my local game store. This is my last hurrah. I spent my money on Mario Kart Super Circuit and Home Run. This discount offers me most of their 2600 games for "free". I was almost 100% set on Crystal Castles, but I'm not sure. Here in this poll are a few games for the 2600 and 7800 I was considering. If you have suggestions not on the poll, please feel free to suggest them below. A much less serious problem than my last poll I made! But your help would be appreciated.

I sadly can't play any of these games for a while as my mom still has my Atari stuff. She wants me to learn the guitar before I get them back. *Sigh* I will just wait it out. This has happened before.

This poll won't necessarily determine my purchase, but it will help me make up my mind a bit. Plus, it's fun.

7 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I voted for Crystal Castle to take advantage of the markdown. The other game I’d recommend on your list is Missile Command. I haven’t played any others except Demon to Diamonds. 

Video Chess is about what it sounds like. Hat Trick is supposed to suck but I would like to try it. Dragster plays like a mobile game and I am very nostalgic for Grand Prix.

@socrates63, I am so excited for you! You got the holy trinity! I was trying to wait until you actually got them to post, but I am just too hyped! You're getting them Monday, right? My mom didn't take the SNES, so I will replay Super Metroid again. It is, hands down, the best video game ever created. Don't spoil it for yourself! I honestly can't believe you haven't played any of the Holy Trinity games!

Out of all the Nintendo consoles, SNES is the one that I have some nostalgia for. It’s the reason got it over the Genesis (the calibration cartridge available for both SNES and Genesis).
While I love Mario and all the Nintendo characters, I never played any of the games. The only Nintendo console games I’ve played are NBA Jam on SNES and Wii Sports. I hope Super Metroid makes a fan out of me for Metroidvania type games. 

11 minutes ago, RickR said:

I went "Hat Trick"  because 7800 games are harder to find.  Buy them when you see them.  Whether they suck or not.  

Not as hard as you would think. Here's a screenshot of a video of the cheap games ($5-$10) fifteen and over are in a glass case and you have to ask for them. This is a little less than half of the cheap games. My dad took this when he picked up One on One and Karateka. There are some Channel F games below them too. It's a great store!

image.jpg.354c02c893686c23f0057437c6449b1d.jpg

@socrates63 Super Metroid will make you a fan. 26 years later it is still the best in its genre. It is so freaking good. The ending is very touching and I will NOT SPOIL IT. There is no dialog after the opening cutscene. All the story is told through subtext.

7 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'd say that's a pretty good game store right there.  In all my years of collecting, I haven't come across a store that has a stack of 7800 games like that for fair prices.  

I rewatched the video and counted 51 of the cheaper games. Some notable ones include Hat Trick, Joust, Jinks, Robotron, Ms Pac Man, Choplifter, Centipede, Touchdown, RS Baseball, Food Fight, Galaga, Xevious, Asteroids, and Desert Falcon. In the glass case I saw all three Nintendo titles, Ballblazer, and a few others. I am very fortunate to have this near me!

9 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'm going to give Super Metroid a go too.  Thanks guys.  

Please do. It's my favorite game of all time. I love it so much. So much. It is absolutely perfect. Almost no flaws whatsoever. You both will have a blast, I promise you.

8 minutes ago, HDN said:

Please do. It's my favorite game of all time. I love it so much. So much. It is absolutely perfect. Almost no flaws whatsoever. You both will have a blast, I promise you.

Ah good, I need your expert opinion then.  Does the game have save states?  How long should I expect to play for a given set?  Is the the kind of thing where you should complete a level, do a save, and can then come back to it later?

41 minutes ago, RickR said:

Ah good, I need your expert opinion then.  Does the game have save states?  How long should I expect to play for a given set?  Is the the kind of thing where you should complete a level, do a save, and can then come back to it later?

Level? Hah! There are no levels in Super Metroid! There are different areas each with their own bosses and items, but the game is somewhat open world. Picture it as Zelda but platforming. You run into obstacles and need specific items to pass. When you find the item later in the game you are like "Aha! I need this to pass this obstacle earlier in the game!" It's very exploratory and has several item puzzles in it.

By "given set" I assume you mean set of levels? Well there are no levels. You can play for five minutes or five hours. It is up to you to explore planet Zebes at your own pace. That is part of the beauty of Super Metroid. You really feel like you are "in the game" in a sense. There are no timers or end level "flagpoles".

And yes, you can save the game whenever you wish by going into one of many save rooms. Don't save in the one right before the final boss as you can't go back to the rest of the planet if you do. Yup, the only flaw with this game is one wayward save point.

Hope you enjoy this groundbreaking title, you two!

@socrates63 If I read your post correctly you have only played TWO Nintendo console games? No Super Mario Brothers? No F-Zero? No Mario Kart 64? No Luigi's Mansion? No Super Smash Brothers Melee? No Clu-Clu Land? No Super Mario 64? No Mike Tyson's Punch Out? No Startropics? No Jekyl and Hyde for NES? If I remember from our chat on Wednesday you had a Game Boy, right? 

Edited by HDN
Socrates63 hasn't played any Nintendo console games? What?

1 hour ago, HDN said:

@socrates63 If I read your post correctly you have only played TWO Nintendo console games? No Super Mario Brothers? No F-Zero? No Mario Kart 64? No Luigi's Mansion? No Super Smash Brothers Melee? No Clu-Clu Land? No Super Mario 64? No Mike Tyson's Punch Out? No Startropics? No Jekyl and Hyde for NES? If I remember from our chat on Wednesday you had a Game Boy, right? 

That is correct — I’ve never played any NES, SNES (outside NBA Jam), GC, Wii (except Sports), WiiU, nor Switch games. I have all the consoles except NES though — just haven’t played anything.

I have played a few GB games (mostly Tetris and Mario Tennis) and a couple 3DS games (Mario Tennis and a bit of Nano Assault). I have GBC, DS Lite, 3DS and New 3DS in the house.

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

TThat is correct — I’ve never played any NES, SNES (outside NBA Jam), GC, Wii (except Sports), WiiU, nor Switch games. I have all the consoles except NES though — just haven’t played anything.

I have played a few GB games (mostly Tetris and Mario Tennis) and a couple 3DS games (Mario Tennis and a bit of Nano Assault). I have GBC, DS Lite, 3DS and New 3DS in the house.

That is so sad! You have missed out on a TON of quality titles. What games do you currently own?

Are you free again Wednesday? We should have another chat about Nintendo, but not just limited to the SNES. We would start by talking about games you already have instead of going out and buying new ones.

Anyone else in for another chat this Wednesday?

Also, lots of Missile Command votes are coming in! This might not determine my purchase, but it is fun to see everyone's opinions! This may help make up my mind however. I'm looking for a game to keep me entertained for a while. Something with longevity that never gets old. Missile Command and Crystal Castles fit that category. Video Chess is another I am considering along with Grand Prix. Dragster, Demons to Diamonds and Hat Trick I am not so sure about because they seem like games that are only fun in short bursts or with others.

Edit: I am also thinking of making a "Super Metroid" topic over at the Nintendo forums to help out newbies like you @socrates63 and also @RickR. I could answer your questions and walk you through the game if y'all get stuck. Think that is a good idea?

Edited by HDN

I think that's a GREAT idea.  However, give me some time.  

I only speak for myself, but I'm similar to @socrates63.  I haven't played a bunch of NES or SNES games.  But it isn't sad.  I'm living.  Example:  Today, I helped son #1 change the oil in his car.  After lunch, I plan on doing some yard work.  The sun is out, and the air is clean again.  Video games can wait.  

1 minute ago, RickR said:

I think that's a GREAT idea.  However, give me some time.  

I only speak for myself, but I'm similar to @socrates63.  I haven't played a bunch of NES or SNES games.  But it isn't sad.  I'm living.  Example:  Today, I helped son #1 change the oil in his car.  After lunch, I plan on doing some yard work.  The sun is out, and the air is clean again.  Video games can wait.  

Yes. Especially in your area going outside and NOT playing video games must be amazing. I have spent a lot of time outside recently. It is nice enjoying the last of the nice weather. Must be nice with the smoke gone.

Video games can be fun if accompanied by other things. Balance is nice.

Yes, living life! I’m at my parents’ place for lunch. Gaming and my other hobbies have always taken a backseat to family, work, and church. 

Totally nothing sad about skipping consoles from the third generation and beyond. I had an incredible time learning BASIC programming and playing games on Atari computers and later on the PC. I wouldn’t trade that for anything as those experiences led to lifelong love for computers and video games. Besides, if I had an NES myself, I couldn’t have crushed on my friends who were blowing on their cartridges. I was like, “What you fools doing?!?”

Now, I’m filling in some of those gaps. TBH, I had no intentions of getting into SNES, but conversations here have nudged me enough. Heck, I’m even thinking about getting an Intellivision and Genesis now. 

7 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Yes, living life! I’m at my parents’ place for lunch. Gaming and my other hobbies have always taken a backseat to family, work, and church. 

Totally nothing sad about skipping consoles from the third generation and beyond. I had an incredible time learning BASIC programming and playing games on Atari computers and later on the PC. I wouldn’t trade that for anything as those experiences led to lifelong love for computers and video games. Besides, if I had an NES myself, I couldn’t have crushed on my friends who were blowing on their cartridges. I was like, “What you fools doing?!?”

Now, I’m filling in some of those gaps. TBH, I had no intentions of getting into SNES, but conversations here have nudged me enough. Heck, I’m even thinking about getting an Intellivision and Genesis now. 

First off, I have an intellivision flashback and it's really fun. The controllers are quite nice and I really like Snafu and Shark Shark on it, so if you get an intellivision get those games! Genesises are very cheap at my local game store; only about $35. Probably a decent investment.

Now, obviously skipping gens 3 and 4 aren't ACTUALLY sad, but you might want to check them out as you will have some fun with them.

When I have the funds, I will eat those 7800 games right up! No one wants them apparently, but I do! I wonder why there are so many here but not everywhere else. Must be a Wisconsin thing; most forgotten state, forgotten and failed system. Most of those games are ten dollars. I am excited to get them someday. I'm 99% sure they aren't going anywhere! That store has gone through a lot of 7800s. I have seen at least three there: one CIB, one loose, and one in my house! I had a blast with that system before my mom took it away and I am super hyped for Xevious, Galaga, and Food Fight. And maybe Hat Trick, who knows?

I watched that video again today and saw those boxed Channel F games next to the boxed Odyssey 2 games. It got me in a Channel F mood. I would really like that system someday, and I think it is cool that a member here, @Willie!, grew up with the thing! I saw some cool games in my internet travels. If I ever get the system, I would totally get Robot Wars and Dodge It. They look so cool and fun and there is nothing like them on Atari! I think the second generation of video games is fascinating. I love hearing stories of people who grew up with the really obscure systems. My dad, for instance, had an Odyssey 2 in the house. Pretty cool! I really wish he kept it, but at least he kept all of his other consoles.

6 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Hat Trick is fun as long as you don't jump in expecting a full blown hockey game.  Its pong dressed up to look like hockey.  It is fun if you don't expect a lot from it.  And the only game there I need is Desert Falcon 😉 

Hands off! Desert Falcon is MINE! ALL MINE!!!!!!

I'm just messing with you. Desert Falcon is one I would like to get someday as well. I enjoy the 2600 version a bit, but I feel it would be much, much better on the 7800. I am also thinking of getting Centipede someday. I don't have the 2600 version, and it's the same price ($10), so why not? I enjoy the 2600 version of Centipede, but I like being able to see how damaged the mushrooms are. Both are excellent versions of the game from what I can tell. 

Most games there are $10, but Xevious is $5 for some reason. I could get that with my discount if I wasn't already getting it.

Ms. Pac-Man is only $5 on the 2600 but $10 on the 7800. I am holding off on 2600 Ms. Pac-Man because I don't really have any good and accurate conversions of Ms. Pac-Man in my collection. I have it on Namco Museum 64, but the controller is terrible for the game. 2600 version emulated is good but not accurate. Both versions on NES are garbage.

I was not expecting a hockey game, but I think we have talked about this before. I don't like extremely realistic sports games very much. And I don't expect a lot of depth.

We did Desert Falcon for a high-score challenge a while ago.  After playing it during that, I've decided I'm not a big fan.  Those isometric games can be difficult in the first place.  That's not the big issue for me though.  I think the gameplay is just too choppy to be fun. Having to stop to get the symbols is ok I guess.  Maybe it takes too much time to stop and then get back up to flying.  Then when the boss finally shows up, things move too fast and you end up with a "what just happened?" feeling.  Plus, the game is too unforgiving.  Just a gentle ground hop can be deadly if you happen to graze a structure.  Toughen up, birdie....jeez! 

Edited by RickR