Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

8 hours ago, HDN said:

I love this game. I’m happy to finally own a copy.

13436BBC-925F-4D7C-B79D-2BD90C0CE4CF.jpeg.986a95b0ab8f13cd3bf6b07e37162cab.jpeg

I like that game a lot, @HDN!  Very cool pickup.  Anytime you take a classic like SMB and add more levels and features, that's a very good thing.  I know people like to complain about the smaller screen size...but I think it takes an old classic and adds a little bit of challenge. 

A gamer/reseller in a local group is having a garage sale today. Turns out he lives only 5 minutes from me, so I stopped by this morning. There was an in-the-box Odyssey 2 for $20 that was calling me, but I paused to think about my collecting rule not to go older than the 2600. While I was thinking about it, someone snagged it--how rude 😆 but moral crisis abated 🤣

I've been on a Dynasty Warriors kick lately. When I mentioned that I enjoyed the combat in Drakengard, someone recommended that I give Dynasty Warriors a look. Turns out he was right. I'm currently playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam on the Xbox 360.

IMG_0625.JPG.76f65343f37813cafbc1a5542bc63d39.JPG

"In the box Odyssey 2".  I understand why you passed.  Without a nostalgic connection, it makes sense to skip it.  But $20???  Wow!

I got these two empty boxes, which is nice because I have a Wii Fit and a DS Lite with no box.  It's like those "separated at birth" re connections! 

shelves 002.JPG

An interesting update on those three SMS games I picked up....

I tested them and Great Soccer worked fine, Great Baseball came up as Great Ice Hockey, and Great Ice Hockey came up as Space Harrier!  Oh my!  I switched Great Hockey into the right case and relabeled Great Baseball. 

And now I'm on the hunt again for a working "Great Baseball".

sms 001.JPG

Edited by RickR

On 7/24/2021 at 2:49 PM, socrates63 said:

A gamer/reseller in a local group is having a garage sale today. Turns out he lives only 5 minutes from me, so I stopped by this morning. There was an in-the-box Odyssey 2 for $20 that was calling me, but I paused to think about my collecting rule not to go older than the 2600. While I was thinking about it, someone snagged it--how rude 😆 but moral crisis abated 🤣

I've been on a Dynasty Warriors kick lately. When I mentioned that I enjoyed the combat in Drakengard, someone recommended that I give Dynasty Warriors a look. Turns out he was right. I'm currently playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam on the Xbox 360.

IMG_0625.JPG.76f65343f37813cafbc1a5542bc63d39.JPG

NOOOO! The horror! The odyssey 2 is so good! 

I’m kidding of course. You have some great pickups there. That Frogger game is pretty interesting. They used the same box art for a ton of arcade ports of Frogger to things like the SNES and Genesis, but the PS1 version iirc is an original game! And it has the same art! Weird, huh?

On 7/28/2021 at 10:27 AM, RickR said:

And now I'm on the hunt again for a working "Great Baseball".

I saw some great sports games at the store the other day. I don’t remember if Baseball was there.

On 7/23/2021 at 10:08 AM, RickR said:

I like that game a lot, @HDN!  Very cool pickup.  Anytime you take a classic like SMB and add more levels and features, that's a very good thing.  I know people like to complain about the smaller screen size...but I think it takes an old classic and adds a little bit of challenge. 

I know, right? It’s a great package with tons of content. Plus, I’ve played so much SMB that I’ve practically memorized the level layouts at this point. I somehow managed to beat Lost Levels with the screen crunch as a kid, and that’s the only way I’ve ever beaten that game.

Forgot to mention it, but I got this with Mario Deluxe. Anyone played this before? I’ve NEVER seen anyone ever talk about it. I imagine it’s one of the rarer Odyssey 2 games as I’ve never seen it in person before or mentioned outside of the catalogs, but it was pretty cheap. It’s a ton of fun.

B8974DC5-C168-4B8F-AB1F-62881257F561.jpeg.6108344db1a08132f1a10622d96af64f.jpeg

Mail call -- some Atari Jaguar love from the AtariAge store: two homebrews and the Jag GameDrive.

I've very limited experience with the Jaguar, but the moment I loaded up Cybermorph, I loved it. The graphics and art style were very reminiscent of Atari ST era of games (none of which I've played since thirty years ago). I've seen the many negative reviews and comments, but I actually had fun playing Cybermorph.

There's so much goodness in classic gaming that I pay less attention to the modern games and more to classic video games. C'mon retirement, hurry up.

IMG_0672.JPG.b9fbeb461b3d7eb7733a334b128cafea.JPG

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Posted your latest/recent pickup!"

- Ω - was awarded the badge 'Pickup Artist' and 1 points.

Sadly I picked these 16 up while going through some of my brothers things today.  Since I no longer have a Odyssey 2 they'll need a good home.  They all have the original manuals and are in great shape.  They've been in a closet in an airconditioned home since new.  From the paper work surrounding the items, they've been stored since at least 1983.  Any idea on what they would be worth as a package deal?

997VDoW.jpg

PbluM10.jpg

N4233tN.jpg

0Oce9tT.jpg

5tsZT3R.jpg

JsF8iRX.jpg

EdEctVW.jpg

GHas3C8.jpg

0ARXVZZ.jpg

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

7 hours ago, RickR said:

Those are pristine.  Thanks for sharing.  

I'm interested, but I'm not sure what they are worth.  May I PM you tomorrow?

Sure, but I'll not be able to reply until after 6pm.  It's my first day back to work since this all happened.  It would be nice if you got them, that way I wouldn't have to ship them, and could just meet up with you 1/2 way. 

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

20 hours ago, RickR said:

Those are pristine.  Thanks for sharing.  

I'm interested, but I'm not sure what they are worth.  May I PM you tomorrow?

Hey guys, I accepted the offer from @RickR so I guess we'll just have to figure out a time to meet up for the pass-off.  I am so pleased these will go to a good home, a good guy, someone who will value them and take care of them.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Let's hope this one works.

It DOES work!  So that's good.  The box/manual have a very slight scent of mildew.  So I have it going in a box with my ozone generator.  That will take care of that.  As far as baseball games go, this one is good.  It plays realistically, and it has audio samples for the umpire. 

12 minutes ago, RickR said:

It DOES work!  So that's good.  The box/manual have a very slight scent of mildew.  So I have it going in a box with my ozone generator.  That will take care of that.  As far as baseball games go, this one is good.  It plays realistically, and it has audio samples for the umpire. 

I just watched some gameplay. It looks and sounds very nice. I wish the game used digitized sample of the bat hitting the ball instead of the little electronic blip--feels out of place with the other sound effects. Did the devs run out of space? The game seems to use digitized sounds for everything else.

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

I just watched some gameplay. It looks and sounds very nice. I wish the game used digitized sample of the bat hitting the ball instead of the little electronic blip--feels out of place with the other sound effects. Did the devs run out of space? The game seems to use digitized sounds for everything else.

Yeah, the crowd sounds pretty silly too. 

Still, it's fair to compare it to NES baseball games, as the NES was the competition for the SMS.  In that regard, it's pretty good.  It's not as "arcadey" as NES Baseball, but it's still pretty fast paced and fun.  The other "Great" sports games on SMS are all very terrible, but I like baseball.