Post your latest/recent pickups!

RickR

31 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

I paid for my Jason Vec Multicart like 3 weeks ago and still waiting on it. Not that I need it as I own 2 other multicarts for the Vectrex already LOL. Still anything Vectrex is cool and always worthy of owning.

I got the same Kopp Vectrex Multicart many months ago.  I printed a 3D case for it, but I haven't ever tried it!  It's because my Vectrex is packed away.  I need to remedy that.  Anyway, Jason Kopp is a good guy, and he'll get back to you.  I think he's stated he's a bit shocked at the demand level for this cart.  Give it time, he'll reply soon. 

He contacted me about 3 weeks back to pay him for it which, I did pretty much immediately. I won't have a case for it and I will need to create a sticker for the eprom window as I don't believe they arrive with that covered already. 

And yes, I saw the video on the 8-bit version and the limitation they ran into. But I also think that if they could have gotten a few more interested people to help in creating it in btimap mode, it would also sell quite a few copies. There aren't that many new Atari 8-bit releases and you know how we are in the Atari world, we always hunger for more games! If some cool Pokey tunes could have been made that would have helped as well. 

David didn't mention it, but in composite you kinda get some colored effects as well. You can even see it in his video when he is showing it playing on a CRT. You can see that the floor titles have a red hue to them. The air conditioner cooling fans will also have some blue on the lines that make up the outlines and such. If anything, when I get my s-video cable in for using with these systems, I might be more saddened by the lack of color! LOL! 

I would like to see them make a 5200 port though. The keypad would act to select the items without scrolling through them with the one button using your selected item and the other being used to fire in the direction you have your controller. But I don't think that will happen unless he gets quite a lot of interested and sales in the current Atari 8-bit version.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

8 hours ago, CrossBow said:

I paid for my Jason Vec Multicart like 3 weeks ago and still waiting on it. Not that I need it as I own 2 other multicarts for the Vectrex already LOL. Still anything Vectrex is cool and always worthy of owning.

That's how I feel and this one was was cheap enough.  🙂  I waited longer for mine as I never received it when I originally ordered it.  He sent me a replacement that I got last week.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

15 hours ago, TrekMD said:

That's how I feel and this one was was cheap enough.  🙂  I waited longer for mine as I never received it when I originally ordered it.  He sent me a replacement that I got last week.

I don't own a lot of Vectrex homebrews or homebrew projects. But then I don't play the Veccy as much as I should and it deserves. But I do have one of Richard's first revision VecMultis with the SD card and also a 1st revision VecFever. So this one is really to just support the hobby further and it looks nice!

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

17 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

I don't own a lot of Vectrex homebrews or homebrew projects. But then I don't play the Veccy as much as I should and it deserves. But I do have one of Richard's first revision VecMultis with the SD card and also a 1st revision VecFever. So this one is really to just support the hobby further and it looks nice!

Same story here.  I have the VecMulti, the Jason Kopp, and also a really old multi-cart that's from England (not the Sean Kelly one).  When I get my Vectrex out, I'll create a separate thread where we can all post pics of what we have.  I think that sounds like fun. 

6 minutes ago, RickR said:

Same story here.  I have the VecMulti, the Jason Kopp, and also a really old multi-cart that's from England (not the Sean Kelly one).  When I get my Vectrex out, I'll create a separate thread where we can all post pics of what we have.  I think that sounds like fun. 

That could be fun! Although again I only own a handful of homebrews and actual games. I never even knew about the Veccy back in the day and only learned of it much later in the early 2000s. I was gifted the vectrex I have now from local collectors and enthusiasts who went in on it together as an appreciation to me for my at that time 10 years of hosting the local OVGE event here in Tulsa. I've recapped it, and added both of Charles Tweety's kits to remove the buzz completely and also provide external audio output both mono and stereo since then.

7 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

That could be fun! Although again I only own a handful of homebrews and actual games. I never even knew about the Veccy back in the day and only learned of it much later in the early 2000s. I was gifted the vectrex I have now from local collectors and enthusiasts who went in on it together as an appreciation to me for my at that time 10 years of hosting the local OVGE event here in Tulsa. I've recapped it, and added both of Charles Tweety's kits to remove the buzz completely and also provide external audio output both mono and stereo since then.

Here are my purchase notes on my Vectrex.

Vectrex 02/10/13 $170.00     AtariAge – with multi-cart.

I remember it being a spendy deal back then, but boy does it look like a bargain now.  My Vectrex works fine, but I've never done a thing to it.  I know that the power/volume switch is dirty.  I leave the switch "on" and use a power strip to turn it on/off and it works fine.  If I turn the knob off, it will sometimes take about 5 minutes to actually turn on again.  I know I should probably have the thing recapped completely, clean out the power switch, and do the buzz-off kit. 

I remember when they came out and wanting one really badly.  But I could not afford it then, and I was never able to find one in the clearance bin during the crash. 

All of them are entertaining. I'd say Panzer Dragoon Remake is my favorite of the bunch. They really nailed the update.

Cotton ReBoot is cool but a little overwhelming. Thankfully, the Sharp X68000 version is included too.

R-Type Final 2 feels like R-Type with modern visual flare and that's a great thing!

Ground Zero Texas is just goofy fun and looks a whole lot better than it did on Sega CD. 

Dark Crystal is a a competent tactics game and is great for fans of the movie and Netflix series. I love Dark Crystal - had a lunch box when I was a kid - so I can't be objective. 🤣

A sound card!

My son said "What is it, 1999?" when I showed him this.  Ha ha.  I bought it because I listen to music on my garage Frankenstein desktop PC.  The onboard sound works fine, but the speaker jacks have always been wonky.  If the computer gets nudged, they stop working.  

So I decided to go high end and get a Sound Blaster Titanium.

PXL_20210919_140348004.jpg

Edited by RickR

9 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I picked up some DS and PSP games from a claim sale in the local FB gamers group. Both the PSP and DS have interesting titles that are still very affordable. I'm a late comer to the platforms, and it's been fun adding to the library.

IMG_0851.JPG.02e3ffb983b43ad161b712d2f9573fa0.JPG

Awesome finds.  Boxed too.  Really nice.

I also collect DS and PSP.  Those two systems are a ton of fun, and I've found they are really nice to take with you on vacation. 

21 hours ago, RickR said:

PXL_20210920_224211017.jpg

Put a high speed SD card in it if you want to try and run some of the FMV video files through it. This might be my most used flash cart in my entire collection as it just works and it plays everything.

7 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Put a high speed SD card in it if you want to try and run some of the FMV video files through it. This might be my most used flash cart in my entire collection as it just works and it plays everything.

It works very well!  I was playing around with it tonight. 

PXL_20210922_032653408.jpg

Edited by RickR

The fat PS3 has been diagnosed -- it has a failed laser.  I'm going to replace the whole blu-ray drive.  I think it's a worthwhile fix because these original PS3's are fully backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1.  Something like this will offer a lot of gaming in one console for my limited space!

6 hours ago, RickR said:

The fat PS3 has been diagnosed -- it has a failed laser.  I'm going to replace the whole blu-ray drive.  I think it's a worthwhile fix because these original PS3's are fully backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1.  Something like this will offer a lot of gaming in one console for my limited space!

Nice!  Just note not all PS3 fats are backward compatible with PS2 unless jail broken.  All PS3 are fully compatible with PS1. 

The fat PS3 ones with 4 USB are PS2 hardware compatible (they have the actual PS2 emotion engine chip on hardware).   These though tended to fail due to heat creating cracked solder joints.   You will get the yellow light of death.  There are videos on how to fix.

There are a few limited fat 2 USB port ones that are software emulation PS2 compatible but Sony may have disabled that with a firmware update if the system was updated. 

There are a few websites that go into how to check. 

1 hour ago, AtariSphinx said:

Nice!  Just note not all PS3 fats are backward compatible with PS2 unless jail broken.  All PS3 are fully compatible with PS1. 

The fat PS3 ones with 4 USB are PS2 hardware compatible (they have the actual PS2 emotion engine chip on hardware).   These though tended to fail due to heat creating cracked solder joints.   You will get the yellow light of death.  There are videos on how to fix.

There are a few limited fat 2 USB port ones that are software emulation PS2 compatible but Sony may have disabled that with a firmware update if the system was updated. 

There are a few websites that go into how to check. 

This is so helpful.  Thanks!  The one I have has two ports, so it probably does not have PS2 compatibility.  It's probably still worth fixing because RickR cannot leave a fixable game console unfixed!