Squad Challenge - Donkey Kong (NES)

Justin

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Marco1019!

Congratulations to @Marco1019 on winning our NES Donkey Kong Squad Challenge! What a tremendous score! This will be something to "brag" about on your next stream! Marco secured the top spot on in our Donkey Kong Squad Challenge with his score of 156,500 points! @AtariSphinx brought his A-game with a tremendous showing, taking 2nd Place with a score of 100,700 points! For the second Squad Challenge in a row I took 3rd Place - this time  with a score of 95,000 points. I just couldn't break the 100,000 point mark (Donkey Kong is brutal!) but I'm going to give it another shot even though the Squad Challenge is over. We had a tremendous turnout for our NES Donkey Kong Squad Challenge! Another one of our best Squad Challenges in recent history! @Gianna @nosweargamer @TrekMD @Dinobot711 @RickR @socrates63 and @Atari Creep all showed up with powerful scores. 

Congratulations to @Marco1019 on his big win, and a huge THANK YOU to everyone whose been getting the word out about our community and inviting others to join us in High Score Squad. As always I'd like to encourage @Marco1019 to post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! And a big congratulations to our community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun playing this classic NES title and I hope everybody enjoyed playing on the advanced difficulty settings.

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is for the Atari Lynx! Be there!

large.final_standings_nes_donkey_kong.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Thank you for the kind words, @Justin ! I will mention this win but only in passing as I will also promote the next Squad Challenge. (I mentioned my C64 Crystal Castles run last week due to slow gaming around the holiday; the show is called Retro With Marco and not Retro About Marco.)

I've noticed the participation increasing not only here but on EverythingC64 where the current High Score Challenge runs until the end of the month. There's also the Unofficial Atari VCS Discord where a Centipede tournament is underway. What's wonderful about all of this is that such communities are thriving.

3 hours ago, RickR said:

Nice job everyone!  Especially @Marco1019, @AtariSphinx, and @Justin

Donkey Kong on NES is fantastic.  But I wonder why they skipped that pie factory level?

My guess is the developers didn't think they could add the pie factory, given what they knew of the NES capabilities at the time. To wit: the Atarisoft version for the Commodore 64 is also missing the pie factory level.

6 hours ago, Marco1019 said:

My guess is the developers didn't think they could add the pie factory, given what they knew of the NES capabilities at the time. To wit: the Atarisoft version for the Commodore 64 is also missing the pie factory level.

I have also heard it was because of limited cart memory available for this near launch game (Donkey Kong Jr has all the screens but a later release).  Also heard it could have been done on purpose to not impact arcade cabinet sales/agreements. Not sure we will know.