How long has it been since you used your TI-99/4A or came to this forum?

- Ω -

If you have a TI-99/4A how long has it been since you turned it on or came to this Forum?  Let's take a quick census over the next week, to see who stops by and speaks up.  Participation builds upon itself.

Of course, I'm checking in, anyone else here, @Airshack, @ti99iuc, @RickR, @Atari Creep, @9640News, @cbmeeks, @RobertLM78, @DavidC, @MaximumRD, @Atarigeezer, anyone else?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Hmm... probably been since around October maybe? Trying to remember when I bought the replacement case shell for my FinalGROM cart as that is when I finally setup the SDcard to check it out. But was kinda limited on what I could actually play as I still don't have a sidecar for it.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Sorry, I've nothing to contribute. Some months ago our storage area was ransacked and with that a large portion of my collection including my two Ti994a's. I had the Silver / Black and all beige models, voice module a couple carts etc but that's history and why I never posted here. Honestly wasn't my biggest loss, I was much more upset about losing my only two Colecovision consoles as now I have all kinds of add-ons and accessories for Colecovision but nothing to use them with, also lost my NeoGeo CDZ, Atari 800 & 130, CD-i, 3DO, Modded Sega Saturn (one of few things I actually modded myself), a complete High Definition branded Sega Genesis and several accessories and add-ons and games for the things mentioned, other stuff to be sure but that is off the top of my head. It was very difficult dealing with and accepting losing virtually half my collection and yes it has hurt my enthusiasm for certain aspects of retro gaming and computing but I am trying to get over it and appreciate and make the most of what I have left. 🤷‍♂️

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

4 minutes ago, MaximumRD said:

Sorry, I've nothing to contribute. Some months ago our storage area was ransacked and with that a large portion of my collection including my two Ti994a's. I had the Silver / Black and all beige models, voice module a couple carts etc but that's history and why I never posted here. Honestly wasn't my biggest loss, I was much more upset about losing my only two Colecovision consoles as now I have all kinds of add-ons and accessories for Colecovision but nothing to use them with, also lost my NeoGeo CDZ, Atari 800 & 130, CD-i, 3DO, Modded Sega Saturn (one of few things I actually modded myself), a complete High Definition branded Sega Genesis and several accessories and add-ons and games for the things mentioned, other stuff to be sure but that is off the top of my head. It was very difficult dealing with and accepting losing virtually half my collection and yes it has hurt my enthusiasm for certain aspects of retro gaming and computing but I am trying to get over it and appreciate and make the most of what I have left. 🤷‍♂️

I'm so sorry to hear this.  I can understand how difficult it must be. 

The exact same thing happened to my father-in-law many years ago.  He was a huge comic-book collector.  The storage units at his apt building got ransacked, and the thieves took it all.  I think he intended to leave all that to his grandsons.  But we don't dwell on it.  I think the best gift he gave my boys was just knowing him. 

I've got an extra colecovision console that needs a bit of repair.  I'll try to get that done before we visit Vancouver in April.  If I can, I'm happy to hand that off to you. 

My TI was last out right before Christmas.  I was playing a lot of Borzork (which I've decided is one of my favorites now).  And testing/getting pictures of some of my extras to list them for sale.  A lot of that first round of stuff for sale did sell!  But I need to get a second round of stuff listed.  I still have the goal of getting my TI collection down to one box, and that second box is still half full.  Anyway, I put it all away to make room for company.  Lots of cleanup...the house looked really nice.  Good thing, we had a full house for a change.  Our last kid is moving out mid Feb, so I'm holding out on getting anything out and making messes until then.

21 minutes ago, RickR said:

I've got an extra colecovision console that needs a bit of repair.  I'll try to get that done before we visit Vancouver in April.  If I can, I'm happy to hand that off to you. 

That is kind and appreciated but no thanks. I had only mentioned this to very few in messages or an odd comment here or there on Facebook because frankly, I don't want to be one of those types looking for sympathy or anything, I considered not mentioning here as well, maybe I should not have, though I am no longer collecting for a few reasons who knows? I may obtain one after some trades or sales of some things I have left that frankly do not mean as much to me or are collecting dust, years of collecting does tend to pile up. Er, honestly I kind of joked with my wife but I kind of meant it, had I known it would have been even a possibility our storage area was not safe I suspect I'd have been more selective about what I stored down there 🤔 I've always felt welcomed here and wanted to give an honest response about why I've not posted here earlier. It's not my intention to hijack this thread with my woes though so this is my last word about it here at least. Once again thanks anyway. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I gotcha and no sympathy intended.  I've been very vocal about getting rid of stuff and I've both given it away and sold via e-bay.  I'm happiest to see stuff go to a person who I know will actually use it.  Nothing implied at all and please don't stop posting due to me!

Once I start fixing that CV up, I'll probably post over in the CV forum.  I have a feeling I'm going to need some advice from @CrossBow about what it could be.  It has an AV mod that worked fine for a long time.  But now, the screen has a weird color shift to it.  Still totally playable, but the colors are a bit wrong in certain areas of the screen.  I was going to start by checking the wiring on the AV board just to make sure nothing is loose and also that the ground is good all the way to the composite connectors.

Actually, in typing this out...it could be something as simple as a bad power adapter.  Maybe that's the simplest place to start. 

Edited by RickR

Sorry to hear that @MaximumRD. I had a storage locker broken into, they took a RoadBlasters sit-down cockpit arcade cabinet, Atari Jaguar \retail kiosk w/ Tempest 2000, a complete sealed in box 5200 collection, my original Atari 7800 which is essentially my "Rosebud", plus much more. I won't do storage facilities anymore for anything meaningful to me, I don't care how what I have to do at home to make it work. Storage lockers can be okay for old clothes and items that can be replaced, but sentimental items and more expensive items will have to be stored in the house from now on and other things can be moved into storage. I won't make the mistake again.

12 minutes ago, Justin said:

Sorry to hear that @MaximumRD. I had a storage locker broken into, they took a RoadBlasters sit-down cockpit arcade cabinet, Atari Jaguar \retail kiosk w/ Tempest 2000, a complete sealed in box 5200 collection, my original Atari 7800 which is essentially my "Rosebud", plus much more. I won't do storage facilities anymore for anything meaningful to me, I don't care how what I have to do at home to make it work. Storage lockers can be okay for old clothes and items that can be replaced, but sentimental items and more expensive items will have to be stored in the house from now on and other things can be moved into storage. I won't make the mistake again.

Thanks appreciated, in my case though it was our own condo personal storage facility in our parking area, a locked closed off section for residents only that has been fine for the past 15 years. Still lesson learned, I removed what was left, my Atari 16 bit machines oddly, Atari 1040 stf & ste, maybe they ran out of time? Oh and to add insult to injury, they broke the locks off and used our own travel luggage to haul it away. 

OK folks, thanks for the replies but let's get this thread back on topic for the OP from here on in. Thanks. 👍

- M. Bison

On 1/26/2022 at 4:14 AM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Last fired up?  I'd have to visit a post I made on these forums where I made my own AV cable for my TI using the cord from the original switch box. Whatever date I posted that was the last time I fired up my 99.

Hehehe - cool!! I did the exact same thing a while back - it turned out to be rather annoying to get working in the end as i recall - and then after all that and resoldering the k/b ribbon i had a couple RAM chips go bad, so the console the cord conversion was intended for has sat ever since then.  I really should get another F18A to put in that unit, but then the cord conversion would be useless.... oh well

Anyway, I've been getting into some Amiga emulation the past 2-3 weeks (I had little bit of experience with them when I was about 12-14), which has been a lot of fun.  It's been since just before then that I was running the TI - so late December probably.  I had been slowly working through Legends (ver. 1.1) and as it is slog, it is nice to take a break.  It's also nice to learn about new platforms, and Amigas seem to fit the bill nicely for me since the OS is this strange mix of TrapOS Unix and Xerox Alto and the systems were rather ahead of their time, as well, like the TI was in its day.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:57 AM, MaximumRD said:

Some months ago our storage area was ransacked and with that a large portion of my collection including my two Ti994a's.

😡 That's bulls***.  Sorry to hear about that.

Cheering vestry jolt now!  100%