Squad Challenge - Space Invaders - Crazy Mode 8 (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Space Invaders
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: CRAZY MODE 8: Game 8, Difficulty B
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST April 30, 2023
Nominated by @RickR

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between April 1st through April 30th, 2023. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, officially released compilation, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds, updated and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Game 8, Set Difficulty Switches to B. These settings are for Space Invaders "Crazy Mode 8" - an insanely challenging game variation that includes:

• Small Laser Cannon
  • Moving Shields
  • Zigzagging Bombs
  • Fast Bomb 

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other dishonest advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 144th Squad Challenge! This month we're playing a quintessential classic and must-have game for the Atari 2600, and the game that put it on the map, Space Invaders! We're not playing "regular" Space Invaders though, we're playing "Crazy Mode 8" which is super challenging and a riot to play. Old School I/O Members may have been around when we played this once in High Score Squad in 2016, it was an absolute blast! Special thanks to @RickR for nominating this game! ROM and PDF Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Space Invaders.pdf space_invaders.BIN

Running check list:

• 2600 console? ✔️
  • Space Invaders cart? ✔️
  • Power on? ✔️
  • Diff switches set to B? ✔️
  • Game mode 8? ✔️
  • Original 2600 joystick plugged in? ✔️
  • Change of underwear? Wait....forgot those.  Ok ✔️
  • Drink and eats to last the time in game?  Yep, have Reese's and Coke.  ✔️
  • Ready for a butt whooping? 

All set!  Here I go.  And I'm probably going to need my beer so it's going with me.

7 minutes ago, HDN said:

I forgot how perfect this game is. One of the best ports of any game ever if you ask me. So many memories playing it too.

I completely agree.  This was the first Atari game my family purchased (beyond Combat), and I'm astounded to this day at how good it is.  The graphics, the sounds, the 112 variations....perfection.  For all the talk you see sometimes about "The Intellivision was better"....yeah, but it didn't have Space Invaders.  End of story. 

18 hours ago, Justin said:

If you guys end up rolling your score we will just have to go with the honor system ✌️

Roll the score on the crazy 8 setting?  Alright @Justin, what are you drinking if you can roll the score with this setting, man.  I want some. Jk 😂.  But seriously...if someone here can roll the score on this setting then wow.  

15 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Roll the score on the crazy 8 setting?  Alright @Justin, what are you drinking if you can roll the score with this setting, man.  I want some. Jk 😂.  But seriously...if someone here can roll the score on this setting then wow.  

Hey you never know! Some of you guys are legends! ✌️