Squad Challenge - Vanguard (Atari 2600)

Justin

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Somebody needs to challenge @greenween, and I think it's you!

I've settled on the b/b firing selection.  But I'm not sure what to do on the gond screen.  I get blown up before even firing a shot.  

Just push forward while firing. 🙂

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

About the Gond, from the manual:

Destroying Gond is not difficult if you fire immediately, before he can launch a missile. However, the longer you wait to fire, the more risk you run and the more bonus points you score.

As mentioned earlier, you can simply navigate the ship upward and fire and that's it and you're done with the level.

Or, you can avoid the shots coming at you from the side of the screen for more points when you kill Gond. Move up/down and wait for the shot to pass and then move up/down and wait for the next shot to pass by and then repeat. When your nerves start to get too high on edge then press the fire button 🙂 

I hear ya, Rick. The first few times I got to that level, I was too nervous and just pressed the fire button immediately. Once you get there a few times, you will probably be able to relax the nerves for a bit.

It's kind of like Karate Kid -- wax in, wax out. Move up, wait, move down. That first missile from Gond comes pretty quickly once the level starts.

Edited by socrates63

The other frustrating part is that the firing method changes on that screen.  Like b/b difficulty switches automatically fire, but on the Gond screen, that goes out the window and you have to use the button to fire and you automatically move fast.  Again, practice would be helpful. 

I was in the groove, and my dentist's office calls me 🤬 🦷 I didn't answer and they called again and I still didn't answer 😂 I knew what they were calling about--I need to schedule my implant procedure. Well, the calls broke my concentration, and I was no longer in the "zone" 😂 After the game ended, I called and scheduled it.

IMG_0705.jpeg.f8da644ac5627637a36046a82ae9e547.jpeg

On 6/21/2023 at 11:14 AM, socrates63 said:

FWIW I use A/B. I press the button to fire and de-press when I want to move (faster). And I don't have be moving in order to fire forward. I think that might make it easier to deal with Gond.

I tried this last night and I think this works a lot better.  Thank you for the tip. 

Although I wasn't able to beat my high score, I was able to survive the Gond for a few extra seconds and got more than the standard 1000 points.  Frankly, I was tired from driving home from vacation and STILL did a lot better than I expected.  I'll try to play more before Friday.

There is one quirk I've noticed that happens almost every time for me.  On one of the vertical "egg" screens (the one that goes upwards), upon starting the level, my ship automatically drifts down/left and crashes.  No input on the joystick fixes this.  Automatic loss of one life.  I don't know why this would happen.  Everything works fine after that crash.