Why Atari Jaguar Got COMPLETELY DESTROYED! - Video by "Lady Decade"

Justin

I saw this earlier too. I did not get to listen yet, but sounds dumb and clickbaity way to say, "Atari Mismanagement & saturated market, led to downfall of a 64-bit black beauty". Her and her husband Top Hat Gaming man, make some decent things, but sometimes dumb and narcissistic like most "influencers".

Hustle if you like attention, but I hate attention, so I don't understand the modern internet. 😛

Edited by Jinroh

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

13 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

I saw this earlier too. I did not get to listen yet, but sounds dumb and clickbaity way to say, "Atari Mismanagement & saturated market, led to downfall of a 64-bit black beauty". Her and her husband Top Hat Gaming man, make some decent things, but sometimes dumb and narcissistic like most "influencers".

Hustle if you like attention, but I hate attention, so I don't understand the modern internet. 😛

This is the correct take @Jinroh. I posted this video because I wanted to put a spotlight on it and allow Jaguar players to respond, correct disinformation, and make their voices heard.

I grew up with the Atari Jaguar, I got it as a pre-order for my birthday and a week later I became the first owner in my state to have an Atari Jaguar. It was already being unfairly attacked - I guess because it was cool to hate Atari in 1993? From day one the Jaguar has been swamped and smeared with misinformation. I posted the video in our forums encouraging knowledgeable Jaguar aficionados to correct misinformation in her video and comments section about the Jaguar.

A major objective of Atari I/O has been to "change the narrative" where Atari (and other games and platforms) have been unfairly maligned. For example, @btbfilms76 has a nice video explaining why the classic trope of attacking the Jaguar by comparing Trevor McFur to StarFox is apples and oranges and not an honest comparison to make.

Hold these YouTubers accountable for their words. They are like assassins in a drive-by shooting. They take shots at their target (in this case the Jaguar) and speed off before help can arrive or they can be challenged in what they're saying. By then they're already onto their next attack for click$, ca$h and c£out.

Blasphemy!  The Neo*Geo is highly protected by its fan base.  The Jaguar should be the same with its fan base.  I posted my comment but it might come across as rude.  I really don't care.  Don't blame the Jaguar.  It is not its fault the Tramiels did business the way they did.  Tempest 2000 blew my mind when I first seen it at a store display.  It was the reason why I wanted a jaguar.  It was not a failure.  It did the best it could with what it got.  It was dependent on the people developing for it.  If you have a hard time understanding the Jaguar then don't expect a high quality game.  It's that simple.

26 minutes ago, walter_J64bit said:

She's a Nintendo Fanboy so what comes out her mouth is nothing but misinformation. 🤮

@walter_J64bit This is a tremendous opportunity to clearly, calmly and concisely correct the record - and to let the world see the Atari Jaguar has support in big numbers of people willing to turn out and speak up :mcfur: :atari_jaguar:

I watched part of it and listened to her closing statements.  She compared the Jaguar to the NES, Saturn, and PSOne. Which quite honestly should not have been done.  It was compared to the wrong systems.  The NES shouldn't have been considered.  Neither should have the two 32-bit systems.  The Jaguar was not a part of that generation.  It belongs with the Genesis and Super NES.  Those were the consoles it was marketed against.  

I don't know everything about Atari or the Jaguar outside of personal experiences seeing and owning one.  It was not marketed in my area at the time.  The only reason I knew it even existed was by an ad mailed out by Go Atari.  I don't even know how they got my address.  If not for Radio Shack I would not have received one.  I remember looking at that ad for a very long time wondering when I'd see one in person.  I really loved the sleek design of the console.  Shortly after I got mine Wal-Mart had a small Jaguar section.  But before I could even save up to buy anything they had it disappeared.  That section might have lasted a few months to year.  I don't know for certain but it did seem like it left almost as quick as it came.  The demo unit was hardly touched when I was there.  I kick myself in the butt for parting with what I had even when I know it was help.my dear grandmother.  Most of those game I can no longer find or find cheap.  I'd be happy to find Tempest 2000 again.  If I cod find just that game without having to give up an arm and a leg for it I'd be happy.  

Bottomline...I didn't like how the Jaguar was portrayed because it was apparent she did not do her home work.  And it shouldn't but it upsets me when YouTubers talk about a game console before researching it first. It was evident from the fist words out of her mouth the Jaguar didn't stand a chance.  

Here's my take on it.  I believe in the Jaguar and everything it was made to do.  In my eyes the Jaguar did not fail.  Atari failed it.  Lack of strong support, poor management, and low to non existing marketing, failed to entice the public eyes on the Jaguar.  I think it is one hell of a console and really is the last console to be entirely developed and made in America.  Have you ever ticked off any one with a NEO*GEO?  The Jaguar deserves the same support.

I don't understand Atari's Jaguar support any more than any one else...but it doesn't mean the Jaguar is as bad as most people claim.  To fully understand the Jaguar means you would have had to live through it during its production. Jaguar was the first console to offer hardware 3D.  No other console at the time did that without adding that support through a cartridge. By the time my area got Jaguar to market the Jaguar's production had ended.

If I seem upset my apology but it bugs me when a machine gets attacked like that without fully experiencing and trying to understand what all happened.  It is Atari that failed, not the Jaguar, and it was not destroyed in the sense the video portrayed it.  I would rather hear "Where did you learn to fly?" A million times than to watch a video like that for two minutes.  Do your research first.  I really wish Gaming Historian would do one on Jaguar.  It needs a defense team.

14 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

It was not a failure.

I appreciate you @Atari 5200 Guy I really do, and I have been a Jaguar aficionado literally since day one - but to convince people to see the Atari Jaguar as a "success" story is going to be a hard pill to swallow.

I recommend instead helping people to see the truth of what really happened, within the context of the time :mcfur:

12 hours ago, - Ω - said:

After reading the comments here, and seeing that the video is 38 minutes in length, I didn't bother to watch it.

12 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm with you on this.  It's gotta be something really worth watching to get 30 minutes of my time. 

11 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I watched part of it and listened to her closing statements.

I saw the title and that was enough for me to shine a spotlight on it, and allow nature to take its course.

She compared the Jaguar to the NES, Saturn, and PSOne. Which quite honestly should not have been done.  It was compared to the wrong systems.  The NES shouldn't have been considered.  Neither should have the two 32-bit systems.

Correct, I agree with you in that context. If anything she could've juxtaposed the Jaguar against the Atari 2600 - Atari's greatest success in numbers, for comparison.

The Jaguar was not a part of that generation.  It belongs with the Genesis and Super NES.  Those were the consoles it was marketed against.  

Yes. Atari would've had an Amiga-based system in 1986-1987. Panther should've been ready prior to 1991. They skipped Panther and leapfrogged to Jaguar at the end of 1993. It was too late to properly fight the 16-Bit generation, and too early to the 32-64-Bit generation to fight Sony.

The Atari Jaguar would more appropriately be compared to equally-niche "advanced" game systems in the same "leap" generation:

• 3DO (Panasonic FZ-1)
  • Amiga CD32
  • FM Towns Marty
  • Phillips Magnavox CD-i
  • Sega 32x + Sega CD
  • TurboDuo Super CD2
  • Neo-Geo CD

Additionally, specific Atari Jaguar games could be compared with specific Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games, for example games with pre-rendered graphics like Super Nintendo's Donkey Kong Country could be cited as an example that "You really didn't need a game system like the Atari Jaguar at that time, as you could create game cartridges that could deliver the same or superior gaming experience on existing popular platforms."

My purpose in sharing this video was to shine a spotlight on it and encourage everyone who may see this thread over many years to come to stop by, correct misinformation, invite the rest of the world to give the Atari Jaguar a try, voice your opinion and make your voice be heard.

What little I know about the Jaguar is because of the I/O. I didn't know about the Jaguar when it was originally released, and I only learned of its existence a few years ago. I bought one because I wanted to take part in the I/O high score challenge. I sincerely hope the I/O community continues to keep the Jaguar love alive.

50 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

I sincerely hope the I/O community continues to keep the Jaguar love alive.

@socrates63 I guarantee you, it will 🏆 :atari_jaguar: :mcfur:

2 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I remember looking at that ad for a very long time wondering when I'd see one in person.  I really loved the sleek design of the console.  Shortly after I got mine Wal-Mart had a small Jaguar section.  But before I could even save up to buy anything they had it disappeared.  That section might have lasted a few months to year.  I don't know for certain but it did seem like it left almost as quick as it came.  The demo unit was hardly touched when I was there.

I remember that quite well. For us that appeared in Summer, 1995 and I already felt like a Jaguar veteran in the 16-Bit and Next-Gen wars.

Atari got wide distribution into Walmart? Why did they disappear? I think @Video 61 may know the answer. I encourage him to dive deeper into this in an upcoming Blog. Tramiels dropping the Jaguar is quite a topic.

9 hours ago, RickR said:

The word "DESTROYED" is a click-bait trigger, no?  Anyway, I clicked the "thumbs down" dislike and moved on. 

2 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

It was evident from the fist words out of her mouth the Jaguar didn't stand a chance.  

Something about her tone of voice and pious demeanor reminds me of Kai Winn. I think our Star Trek fans will appreciate what I mean 🖖

"...But the Atari Jaguar got COMPLETELY DESTROYED ®, my child. Just as the Prophets had wished it. Like and subscribe for more." - Winn Adami

Winn_adami.jpg

22 hours ago, Justin said:

This is the correct take @Jinroh. I posted this video because I wanted to put a spotlight on it and allow Jaguar players to respond, correct disinformation, and make their voices heard.

I grew up with the Atari Jaguar, I got it as a pre-order for my birthday and a week later I became the first owner in my state to have an Atari Jaguar. It was already being unfairly attacked - I guess because it was cool to hate Atari in 1993? From day one the Jaguar has been swamped and smeared with misinformation. I posted the video in our forums encouraging knowledgeable Jaguar aficionados to correct misinformation in her video and comments section about the Jaguar.

A major objective of Atari I/O has been to "change the narrative" where Atari (and other games and platforms) have been unfairly maligned. For example, @btbfilms76 has a nice video explaining why the classic trope of attacking the Jaguar by comparing Trevor McFur to StarFox is apples and oranges and not an honest comparison to make.

Hold these YouTubers accountable for their words. They are like assassins in a drive-by shooting. They take shots at their target (in this case the Jaguar) and speed off before help can arrive or they can be challenged in what they're saying. By then they're already onto their next attack for click$, ca$h and c£out.

Very cool that you were the first owner in your state to own a Jaguar. 🙂 I saw it in a toy store in 1993 at a Jaguar Kiosk. It was playing Cybermorph. I thought it looked amazing! That made me want a Jaguar, but, we had a Genesis, so that was a no go.

Reading about the development of DOOM and Wolfenstein by John Carmack. I was happy to hear that he liked the hardware for the most part.

Comparing Trevor McFur to Starfox is very dumb, the Jag could easily pull off Starfox. Just because both have animals in space doesn't mean they're comparable.

A better comparison would be Iron Soldier and Mechwarrior 2. Iron Soldier came out 7 months before Mechwarrior 2 even. I need to get myself a copy of Iron Soldier. I would have been over the moon with Iron Soldier in 1994.

image.png.cf509d6f45007148854fb97a5e286f0f.pngimage.png.3a6aecd354bef84c6e9163ee5d329c52.png

9 hours ago, Justin said:

I appreciate you @Atari 5200 Guy I really do, and I have been a Jaguar aficionado literally since day one - but to convince people to see the Atari Jaguar as a "success" story is going to be a hard pill to swallow.

I recommend instead helping people to see the truth of what really happened, within the context of the time :mcfur:

What I was speaking was the truth from a street level perspective.  In my area the last time anything Atari was around was the 2600/5200 systems. I never seen any XL, XE, 7800, Lynx, ST, or Jaguar anything.  Atari was dead and gone after the crash. It was all about either Nintendo or Sega.  That was it.  The 7800 i found with my grandmother as by coincidence or accident.  After the holidays 7800 stuff could not be found.  Anywhere.  It was easier to find SMS games with clearance prices than 7800 games. 

If it wasn't for that ad showing upon the mailbox about the Jaguar I would have never known about it.  Once I did get a Jaguar it was an insecure feeling because local support was limited. And, yes, Walmart supported the Jaguar.  It was the only local store to do so.

My rampage was based off street level experience with the console. Sure I had a Genesis and SNES but they didn't have Tempest 2000 and that was what I kept going back to the most.  It simply blew me away. As mentioned I can't speak for Atari at the time UT I can and will defend Jaguar regardless.  It was such a great system that waz mishandled.

9 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

What I was speaking was the truth from a street level perspective.  In my area the last time anything Atari was around was the 2600/5200 systems. I never seen any XL, XE, 7800, Lynx, ST, or Jaguar anything.  Atari was dead and gone after the crash. It was all about either Nintendo or Sega.  That was it.  The 7800 i found with my grandmother as by coincidence or accident.  After the holidays 7800 stuff could not be found.  Anywhere.  It was easier to find SMS games with clearance prices than 7800 games. 

If it wasn't for that ad showing upon the mailbox about the Jaguar I would have never known about it.  Once I did get a Jaguar it was an insecure feeling because local support was limited. And, yes, Walmart supported the Jaguar.  It was the only local store to do so.

My rampage was based off street level experience with the console. Sure I had a Genesis and SNES but they didn't have Tempest 2000 and that was what I kept going back to the most.  It simply blew me away. As mentioned I can't speak for Atari at the time UT I can and will defend Jaguar regardless.  It was such a great system that waz mishandled.

I went around for 3 years telling people "Atari Jaguar is going to beat Nintendo Ultra 64 to a pulp!" and Atari folded into a reverse merger with JTS before the Nintendo 64 ever launched. It was a pretty brutal time to be an Atari player, and heartbreaking as someone who loved classic Atari systems and saw the Jaguar as the rebirth of Atari. It's one reason why I have empathy for people who have so much passion for these newer systems coming out like the VCS, 2600+, and what could have been a new Intellivision system. People don't want to see the things they love die.

12 hours ago, Jinroh said:

I need to get myself a copy of Iron Soldier.

Iron Soldier is probably my favorite Jag game so far.  It's a lot of fun and the controls are easy to get the hang of.  Plus, it's one of those games that is easy to find inexpensively on ebay, although I have no idea why this is the case. 

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Iron Soldier is probably my favorite Jag game so far.  It's a lot of fun and the controls are easy to get the hang of.  Plus, it's one of those games that is easy to find inexpensively on ebay, although I have no idea why this is the case. 

Glad to hear that. It will make getting a copy easier. 😁

Glad you like it too. It seems like a lot of fun. I am a big fan of Battletech so it always seemed attractive to me. I think it shows a good idea of the Jag's power too. 

There's definitely something in the zeitgeist about the Jaguar, and Atari in general. You never see clickbait videos and articles about "Why 3DO got COMPLETELY DESTROYED!" ... but you always do with Jaguar and certainly Atari. Makes you wonder why the haters can't help but hate.

Some other examples:

"Why Atari LYNX was SO FAT IT FAILED!" - but never TurboExpress (or early cell phones!)

"Why Atari 7800 FAILED against NES!" - but never Sega Master System

"Why Atari Jaguar was SO OVERPRICED people hardly bought it!" - But never Neo Geo

It's okay to play a niche game system. As I've always said, it's okay to play different:

large.meme_ad_lynx_play_different_1.jpg

That's why I hold Lynx and Jaguar close.  They did something different.  I get tired of hearing the thus is better than that argument where there are no references to back the statements up.  If you dedicated to one brand that's OK, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions.  But for the love of video games the bashing of other brands just because would stop.  It also bugs me when PC gamers bash console gamers. I don't understand it because when it does down to it we are still gamers at heart. And there really is no difference between multi platform games like there use to be.  Very rarely does a game do exclusives on one console/PC and not others any more. I really wish all the hate would stop.

Probably the Angry Video Gane Nerd, the Landfill documentary, etc. The non-Atarians associate Atari with the '83 video game slump and garbage. 🤮

The Lynx and the Jaguar were both far away more successful than the Virtual Boy, but better not speak bad about Nintendo. People say the Virtual Boy is not great, but no way near the hate that Atari  hardware gets. 

Playing the devil's advocate. If we look at World War II History...pre-video game Nintendo was making fascist propaganda toys for the Imperialist regime, and Jack was barely surviving in a death camp. So...take this however you want. 😂

Edited by Jinroh