A View of the RickR Sanctum

RickR

A day in the life of RickR:

I spent some time today during the Super Bowl on a little project in my garage.  I decided to mount my garage TV on a wall mount so I could reclaim the workbench space.  Indeed, it seems to have returned 20% of the bench top.  I think it turned out really nice.  The mount came from Harbor Freight, and was only $10!  I had to rearrange the stuff on the wall a bit, but that's just part of the fun. 

I use this TV to watch over-the-air channels while exercising, football on weekends, and a lot of times for gaming (either repairing or testing consoles, or playing systems I've pulled out of the attic). 

workbench 001.JPG

workbench 002.JPG

workbench 003.JPG

7 hours ago, RickR said:

Now that I've got a PS2 steering wheel, I've decided to gather all the driving games I have together.  Time to get busy driving.

ps2 wheel 002.JPG

WOW that's cool. 😮👍

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

43 minutes ago, Justin said:

I love seeing all of those boxes lined up. So cool. What a nice collection @RickR it's always nice to see other people preserving and playing these gems.

Thanks, @Justin!  I want it to feel like the shelf at a department store in the 1980's.  The boxes out on display bring me happiness.  And there's room for a few more!   

I have a picture of recent pickups to share.

• The Paul McCartney album download is from a trade with @HDN
  • The NES Pac-Man (and bonus carbonite ice tray) is from a trade with @nosweargamer
  • "Tempest" is what I chose to buy with my ebay 25th anniversary gift card.

Thank you guys for the trades.

pickups 003.JPG

47 minutes ago, RickR said:

I have a picture of recent pickups to share.

• The Paul McCartney album download is from a trade with @HDN
  • The NES Pac-Man (and bonus carbonite ice tray) is from a trade with @nosweargamer
  • "Tempest" is what I chose to buy with my ebay 25th anniversary gift card.

Thank you guys for the trades.

pickups 003.JPG

How weird! That was mine at one point. I've never done a trade before. You were great to work with,  @RickR. I will leave some feedback when I get Galaxian on that page.

Something really cool came my way via a friend today.  It's a Commodore 1084s monitor.  It's really great because it has a lot of inputs on the back (RGB, composite, composite + chroma, etc) and stereo sound.  And a very nice picture quality.  A little bit of yellowing on one side, but that's of no matter to me.

I tested it out with an old plug n play.  My goal was to get a Commodore 64 hooked up, but we ended up playing a 3-way brawl battle on Gamecube instead.

commodore 1804s 002.JPG

commodore 1804s 001.JPG

commodore 1804s 005.JPG

commodore 1804s 006.JPG

Edited by RickR

It's a kind of silly thing to share, but these two Atari cart holders have been with me forever.  I made them back in grade school wood shop (either 7th or 8th grade).  I'm kind of amazed that they've held up this long.  They are held together with glue and brads.  I remember proposing these items to my teacher (Mr. Eide) and he allowed me to do them on my own time (after school in the shop).  He wanted to see real cartridges in them, so I took a few in to school.  He said that the construction was pretty simple, but the real challenge was measuring them out correctly before cutting and assembly.  I got an "A" for them, but more importantly, I created boxes that I'm so glad to have kept (and used) all these years.

20210108_061645.jpg

20210108_061701.jpg

33 minutes ago, RickR said:

It's a kind of silly thing to share, but these two Atari cart holders have been with me forever.  I made them back in grade school wood shop (either 7th or 8th grade).  I'm kind of amazed that they've held up this long.  They are held together with glue and brads.  I remember proposing these items to my teacher (Mr. Eide) and he allowed me to do them on my own time (after school in the shop).  He wanted to see real cartridges in them, so I took a few in to school.  He said that the construction was pretty simple, but the real challenge was measuring them out correctly before cutting and assembly.  I got an "A" for them, but more importantly, I created boxes that I'm so glad to have kept (and used) all these years.

20210108_061645.jpg

20210108_061701.jpg

Wow, that's absolutely incredible that you still have those after all this time Rick, and that they've held up so well. This reminds me a little of how I still have my Atari Player's Guide that I made in 6th Grade. These look really good. When I first clicked on this and saw the unpainted one I thought it was something modern, a small crate that you could buy at Staples or something and I was about to say "that's a perfect fit Rick, where did you get that!?" but alas you made it yourself. Very cool. Glad these went to good use and held up so well for so long.

The unpainted one came first (the prototype).  It initially had slats to separate the games (you can see the grooves for the slats).  In real usage, I decided I didn't like the slats.  Removing them allowed enough space for an extra cart and also I could store the manuals along one side.  The black one was the final design. 

Edited by RickR

This reminds me of this thing I found a few months ago that I drew in second grade. This was shortly after I first saw what is now my Atari 2600. I tried hooking it up when my dad was over at his cousin's house to no avail. Now I know it was because the TV I tried to connect it to used UHF screw terminals rather than VHF, so it wouldn't work. I know this was very soon after I first saw the system as I completely forgot about some of these things' existence until I saw the thing for a second time last March when it was dropped off here at my house, like the Gemstick and Power Stick.

These were things I saw with the Atari systems there on that day, mixed in with a few other things that I enjoyed playing on the Atari 2600 emulator. I'll label them here:

Displaying IMG_0327.jpg

From top left to bottom right:

• "[Atari Fuji symbol] Lives"
  • Star Raiders overlay on Video Touch Pad
  • Video Olympics mock screenshot
  • Blocky Fuji Symbol
  • Night Driver mock screenshot
  • Coleco Donkey Kong cartridge
  • Gemstick
  • Tapeworm mock screenshot
  • Pac-Man mock screenshot
  • TV/Computer RF switchbox