Atari 2600+ *FULL REVIEW!* Unboxing, Games, Controllers, Testing, & Teardown!

MaximumRD

The Atari 2600+ is Atari's newest and oldest system. It plays original Atari 2600 cartridges as well as Atari 7800 games. In this video I unbox the system, play the 10-in-1 cartridge, test my original controllers and games, open it up and see what makes it tick, and test the new controllers and games with my original Atari 7800 system.

0:00 - Intro 0:34 - Checking out the box 1:25 - Unboxing the System 2:25 - Comparing to the Original 3:24 - What else is in the box? 5:51 - Unboxing the Paddles 7:32 - Berzerk Enhanced Edition and Mr. Run And Jump 8:38 - Hooking it up 9:28 - Trying the 10-in-1 11:57 - Playing Mr. Run and Jump 12:36 - Playing Berzerk Enhanced 13:04 - Really authentic switches! 13:23 - Testing the Paddles 14:42 - Testing my ORIGINAL Paddles 15:27 - Testing my Original Paddle Games 16:29 - Is Warlords 4-player? 17:12 - Testing my Original controllers 18:07 - Testing my Trak-Ball! 19:20 - Testing my Keypad controllers 20:14 - Sega Genesis controllers? 21:12 - Testing 4 2600/7800 Homebrews 21:50 - Testing a LOT of 2600 games! 29:36 - Testing a LOT of 7800 games! 35:30 - System Teardown (What's inside this puppy?) 38:41 - Testing on an original 7800! 39:25 - Pricing 39:44 - Is this a good system? 40:40 - Should you get one?

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

On 11/16/2023 at 8:15 AM, sramirez2008 said:

Watched this one a couple of others yesterday. I'm still waiting for a shipment confirmation. 

I got my shipping notification yesterday from Atari. But according to FedEx it is still just a label notification and FedEx doesn't have it in hand yet. So likely they will get it today and start it on its journey.

I know of the limitations and understood that before buying it. But I feel that the only way Atari will provide something better in the future, is if this initial 2600+ gets a strong showing in support from the community. And we don't know what updates in the future might allow.

The fact that it has now been confirmed to work with the DragonFly is also quite nice since that means more home brew 7800 games can be made to work if they just update the lookup checksum tables in the 2600+ so it knows how to setup the emulation to allow for more games to work.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, CrossBow said:

I know of the limitations and understood that before buying it. But I feel that the only way Atari will provide something better in the future, is if this initial 2600+ gets a strong showing in support from the community. And we don't know what updates in the future might allow.

💯 agree. I changed my mind and ordered one after initially thinking/stating that this wasn’t for me.

The fact that it has now been confirmed to work with the DragonFly is also quite nice since that means more home brew 7800 games can be made to work if they just update the lookup checksum tables in the 2600+ so it knows how to setup the emulation to allow for more games to work.

DF working is another plus for the 2600+ right out the gate. It’s also nice to see the pics of the new 7800 Gamepad controller. I really like the new CX40+ and have to believe that I’ll like this one too.

Edited by sramirez2008

I got my shipping notification yesterday from Atari. But according to FedEx it is still just a label notification and FedEx doesn't have it in hand yet. So likely they will get it today and start it on its journey.

I'm still waiting for mine. I have Order #11730, what's your order number?

42 minutes ago, RickR said:

I wonder if the games are coming now too.  Berzerk Enhanced and Mr Run & Jump.  I haven't gotten any update.

Come to think of it, I'm still waiting on the AtariAge cartridges too. 

My carts and Atari 2600+ are scheduled to arrive on Monday.

In terms of Mr. Run & Jump, this is the $29 version manufactured by Plaion. I ordered it separately because I already preordered the XP cart and was on the fence. The XP line is handled by a different manufacturer, so who knows when the Ltd Edition will ship.

30 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

ICYMI:

Screenshot_20231118_071806_Firefox.jpg

20231118_072649.jpg

20231118_072651.jpg

20231118_072656.jpg

WeixinImage_20231114164450.thumb.jpg.19a279639321827f0206fe9379fe3cb4.jpg

Great news.👍 I already knew about the new CX78+, but did not know about the extension cables and 4 future carts. It's really nice to see Atari make the CX40+ and CX78+ controllers. Its even better to see in print that more games, for both consoles are forthcoming.

Edited by sramirez2008

Here are more pics. All contents... and compared to classic boxes. As you can see, the font is smaller and the Fuji logo is set lower.

Also, a slight crease on the spine of the box (the "N" in "AND").

I guess the crease adds to the authentic vibe of a 46 year old platform?

20231118_135159~2.jpg

20231118_134732~2.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

I get signal drop on original hardware via flat screen. This happens in other games too - like Battlezone and some other GCC games. It's apparently due to signal instability. The game works fine on a CRT and I wager it will work fine on the 2600+ too.

I'll check to see if this works on a Retron77. The XP carts do not, but this is a different manufacturer. (RichCo, Hong Kong for Plaion.)

Edited by Sabertooth