Atari 2600+ *FULL REVIEW!* Unboxing, Games, Controllers, Testing, & Teardown!

MaximumRD

3 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Here are more pics. All contents... and compared to classic boxes. As you can see, the font is smaller and the Fuji logo is set lower.

Also, a slight crease on the spine of the box (the "N" in "AND").

I guess the crease adds to the authentic vibe of a 46 year old platform?

20231118_135159~2.jpg

20231118_134732~2.jpg

I think a comparison of the Mr. Run and Jump box in between the 1986 red Atari 2600 cartridge boxes would be fitting.

53 minutes ago, Justin said:

I think a comparison of the Mr. Run and Jump box in between the 1986 red Atari 2600 cartridge boxes would be fitting.

It's definitely closest to Red Label. The typeface is bolder.

Here are comparisons with silver label, red label and XP standard editions.

20231118_180917.jpg

20231118_181034.jpg

20231118_181125.jpg

On 11/18/2023 at 6:13 AM, sramirez2008 said:

I’m guessing I’ll have to wait a while for them to catch up to my order number then. Assuming they’re shipping by order number. Who knows.

Did I read on the AA forums that you got an email stating you wouldn't be getting yours until December now? My tracking shows a possible delivery for this coming Wednesday as it is in FedEx's hands now.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Yes. Email stated that its planned for 1st week of December. Still waiting for the actual tracking number.

Although speculation, it seems that those that only ordered the console itself, like me, might actually be getting them while those that ordered the 2600+ with something else like additional games or controllers, seem to be the ones with delayed shipping now from Atari.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 minute ago, CrossBow said:

Although speculation, it seems that those that only ordered the console itself, like me, might actually be getting them while those that ordered the 2600+ with something else like additional games or controllers, seem to be the ones with delayed shipping now from Atari.

I ordered Berzerk Enhanced and the Paddle package.

Just now, sramirez2008 said:

I ordered Berzerk Enhanced and the Paddle package.

There you go... so again it seems that those that ordered more than just the 2600+ are the ones now having to wait. I've seen posts where folks wish that Atari had just sent them the 2600+ first and the other stuff later, but that doesn't make sense as like any company, they are going to want to ship everything all at once vs breaking up as that can be a real logistical nightmare.

I'm sure they weren't quite prepared for the influx of orders they actually received and they likely miscalculated how much product needed to be ready for launch. I can say, that from my perspective at least, it seems the 2600+ has gotten more main stream attention than any of the Flashback units prior and so there is more coverage for the 2600+ making more folks aware of it than before.

The fun is back... well, it never left for many of us but this Atari 2600+ might bring in more admirers of the Atari platform.  Nice HDMI direct connection with widescreen mode and plays 2600 and 7800 games.  See what I found inside the physical system.

00:00 - Intro
00:26 - Opening the 2600+
02:10 - Close Look Inside the 2600+
04:36 - Playing 10 Games in 1
06:25 - Playing Original 2600 Pitfall
07:23 - Playing 7800 Food Fight
08:02 - Recap

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

On 11/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, Sabertooth said:

20231118_132241~2.jpgI just received my copy of Mr. run & Jump. I will play it after some household chores and give initial impressions.

I've been playing a bit this evening.  It's pretty great IMO.  I think the challenge is about right for me.  Good graphics for the 2600, although I don't like the little jump in the screen when your guy jumps.  Minor issue.  Sounds are just ok with a few boops here and there. 

As mentioned, the physical presentation is really good.  Box, sleeve, and stickers are all A+.  The cart feels and looks like a real classic cart.  No dust shield on the cart end though.  For $30, I'm more than happy with this.

It may have been mentioned before, but if anyone has a link to the manuals, please let me know.  I'd like to print out a copy and put it in the box. 

So did Atari screw up the Atari 7800 buttons or what?
I heard the difficulty were swapped but the actual 7800 fire buttons also!?!?
Water Ski 7800 Right button makes you go Right & Left, Left but not on 2600+ oh no!
Its reverse on 2600+. Tested with actual Europads & my modded Nes controller

What a disgrace. Yall could of made Oni a tester & i would of gotten stuff done right.
Someone needs fired.

44 minutes ago, OniDensetsu said:

So did Atari screw up the Atari 7800 buttons or what?
I heard the difficulty were swapped but the actual 7800 fire buttons also!?!?
Water Ski 7800 Right button makes you go Right & Left, Left but not on 2600+ oh no!
Its reverse on 2600+. Tested with actual Europads & my modded Nes controller

What a disgrace. Yall could of made Oni a tester & i would of gotten stuff done right.
Someone needs fired.

Yes... I believe the button mapping is reversed on all of the 7800 games. Commando is set to use button 2 for firing the gun and button 1 for grenades. As a result, you can't even start the game with a single button controller. So yes, in addition to the difficulty switches being reversed, it seems the fire buttons on 7800 games is also backwards.

Although someone did bring up a valid point in that if you were to consider the 2600+ as a 7800 system then the switches are actually correct physically at that point, but don't match the molded print on the back of the system.

Hopefully those issues are able to addressed with firmware updates. But the difficulty switches will always be confusing in regards to 2600 vs 7800 games. Luckily many 7800 games don't use those swiches aside from additional functions for the game in most cases.

I hope they fix all the other issues as well. 
Tapper sounds awful. More so than the original music.
Kaboom! has horrible lag spike when the mad bomber goes fast.
Tower Toppler plays too fast
Stampede has sound issues like extra hoof noises
Xevious has a yellow line going across the screen

Cant wait to see what i find today.
Did Atari even test this device? I think not.
Least not with someone that knows what they are doing.

13 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I have to wonder why they chose to map the 7800 buttons reversed.  There might a technical reason for this.  Perhaps a question to add on my thread of questions for Atari related to the 2600+?  Atari 2600+ Questions

They didn't choose this. The problem is they are using an older version of the ProSystem emulator that has the buttons mapped backwards as well. So if they update the core of the ProSystem emulator to something newer, that issue should resolve itself. 

7 hours ago, OniDensetsu said:

Tower Toppler plays too fast

This is because again, the emulator that have chosen isn't doing cycle correct timing on the emulation and using some bodges as I understand it to get a good chunk of the games working. One result of this is that Tower Toppler plays way too fast. But honestly it looks horrid on any video signal above composite since Tower Toppler was designed with color artrifacting in mind to make the colors look the way they should. Unless Atari can add some sort of blur or blend filter on the 2600+, Tower Toppler is never going to look right through the 2600+. For the record, Tower Toppler looks the same on AV upgraded consoles using s-video or if you use the 7800GD RGB output without turning on the blending effect the 7800GD provides in the video options.

Edited by CrossBow

On 11/28/2023 at 11:51 AM, CrossBow said:

They didn't choose this. The problem is they are using an older version of the ProSystem emulator that has the buttons mapped backwards as well. So if they update the core of the ProSystem emulator to something newer, that issue should resolve itself. 

OK.  We can still ask them about it and see what they answer.  🙂

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...