WishbookWeb.com

StormSurge

The younger version of SS used to LOVE getting the Sears, JC Penney, Speigel, etc. catalogs in the mail ahead of each Christmas season. I would study, dog ear, mark up & make sure everything I wanted was noted, just so Santa knew EXACTLY what I wanted.

Since those catalogs are long gone (man, I wish I had the foresight to save those), you can visit wishbookweb.com and browse a bunch of these holiday catalogs ranging from 1933 through 1988. 

http://www.wishbookweb.com/

A couple of favorites:

SearsWishbook.1979C.P619.jpg

1980%20JCPenny%20Christmas%20page557.jpg

We didn't have any consoles, but my brother and I used to look through a couple several-year-old Sears or JC Penny catalogs (from the mid- to late-80s), and we'd talk about how we'd buy up a 2600 and a bunch of games somewhere. Now that I think about it, I eventually did, it just took twelve years or so!

Congo Bongo looked amazing on the page, I remember, but the images were sometimes a bit deceptive. For example, I remember them using airbrush effects to depict moving sprites. And maybe it was my childhood imagination, but some of the screenshots for some games looked not nearly as pixelated as the real thing.

That site is GOLD.  Thanks for sharing.

I used to love those giant Sears and Monkey Ward's catalogs.  The toy and video game sections were the best.  I recall playing the "you get one free item on each page" imagination game.  That probably explains a lot about my collecting hobby....making those wishes come true. 

I've used many pictures from that site over the past years............ excellent resource!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Holiday-edition catalogs were a mental playground of eternal funtime.

I mean, sure it was great to get the toys, but their very existence was something to contemplate.

And contemplate I did. Over and over. Every time I opened up a recent arrival.

I could just imagine the stories, the adventures, the interactions between characters...

And yeah, boy did I ever get a big kick out of the One-Free Item Per Page game.

Although, I always put it at 3-items, for some reason.

This wishbook site is a godsend.

Through the years I have found my own copies of the Wish Book are not just wonderful for trips down memory lane but for finding choice items to share over at the Retroist. Like the Sears Executive Pony?! You might think the image is made up or something but it actually was in the 1984 Wish Book. Ha, ha. :D

http://www.retroist.com/2015/09/21/did-you-know-about-the-sears-1984-executive-pony/

The only thing that was a bummer about the wish books was when they finally showed, up your summer vacation was either over or almost over.

It's funny, I just had the thought while outside, "Did I ALWAYS love fall?" because I certainly do now & have for a long time. But your comment makes it very clear that there most certainly was a time that I didn't.

Through the years I have found my own copies of the Wish Book are not just wonderful for trips down memory lane but for finding choice items to share over at the Retroist. Like the Sears Executive Pony?! You might think the image is made up or something but it actually was in the 1984 Wish Book. Ha, ha. :D

http://www.retroist.com/2015/09/21/did-you-know-about-the-sears-1984-executive-pony/

Haha Mr. Lebowski was on the rocking horse page!! That is funny!

post-138-0-35014900-1443375151.jpeg

Archived