Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Nintendo Announces the Mini-NES, w/ 30 Classic Games

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,208 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

This Raspberry Pi-Powered, 3D Printed NES Mini Puts Nintendo's Effort To Shame

http://www.nintendol...campaign=buffer

http://www.daftmike....6/07/NESPi.html

Edited by Arenafoot, 29 July 2016 - 06:05 PM.

• The Professor, MaximumRD, RickR and 2 others like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#42 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,002 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:38 PM

^^ That's pretty neat, but it must have cost hundreds of dollars and untold hours to put together and perfect.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's great....just not viable as a product for sale. 

• The Professor, Arenafoot, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#43 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,208 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

I saw this come across my FB page today.............. a new NES Slim console?

Attached Thumbnails

• nes slim1.JPG

• RickR likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#44 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,002 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

"Fresh off the success of Pokemon Go" leads me to be skeptical.  They have nothing to do with Pokemon Go, do they?  Licensing only. 

• Justin likes this

#45 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:32 PM

Here is the actual article that links to, from WGN TV. It discusses the same Mini-NES with 30 games built in. The complete first sentence reads "Fresh off the success of Pokemon GO, Nintendo is launching another retro gaming product for the holiday shopping season - a mini Nintendo Entertainment System with 30 classic games built in!" Why "OMG Facts" used a different picture I don't know.

http://wgntv.com/2016/07/14/nintendo-introduces-tiny-console-with-30-classic-games-built-in/

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#46 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,002 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

Because real journalism is now a rare thing.  Doing a little research, spending the proper time to give accurate facts....all no longer done very much. 

• Justin, Arenafoot and Lost Dragon like this

#47 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

Because real journalism is now a rare thing.  Doing a little research, spending the proper time to give accurate facts....all no longer done very much. 

Exactly Rick. It's a huge problem. Or groups like "OMG Facts" exploit those discrepancies for clickbait.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#48 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,002 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:52 PM

That's exactly right.  There was one recently that really made my blood boil.  "Everything you learned in school was wrong!  Jupiter does NOT orbit the Sun."  All this sensationalism because the gravitational midpoint of Jupiter and the Sun falls outside of the Sun.  An insult to everyone's intelligence.  And there is nothing we can do to stop the dumbing down of the country.

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#49 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,208 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:49 PM

Why "OMG Facts" used a different picture I don't know.

I'm wondering the same thing - and where did that NES slim pic come from??????

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#50 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:13 AM

I'm wondering the same thing - and where did that NES slim pic come from??????

Not your fault Arenafoot! That picture has been around for a while. Just like Dreamcast 2 and PlayStation 5 mockups. Probably someone who loves NES and was being imaginative on DeviantArt. No harm no fowl until others exploit it as clickbait. 

• MaximumRD and Arenafoot like this

#51 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,002 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:02 AM

Totally not your fault! I hope you didn't get that impression on any of these posts.

#52 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,208 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:19 AM

NO I didn't....... I thought maybe I stumbled across something ...... or some possible prototype pic. O well maybe next time  :)

#53 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:47 AM

The Mini NES Classic Edition may have some neat display modes, according to NintendoLife. Based on a recent interview with Julie Gagnon from Nintendo Canada, it sounds like the Mini NES will be capable of some retro-styled display options. From the article:

Through Virtual Console formats and even the neat retro Mario amiibo effect in Super Mario Maker (sort of), Nintendo has mastered alternative display options with a retro look. From smoothing of DS games on Wii U to the native resolution feature for SNES games on New 3DS, there are often simple options to view retro games in the best way.

With the NES Classic Edition (Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System in Europe) on the way, it's only logical that it'll have some options built in. We already know of 30 included games and individual save states for each title, and it transpires it may also have some display options. We're hesitant to say it definitely will as the report (via Nintendo Everything) is a translation from a Canadian radio show in French. Julie Gagnon from Nintendo Canada said the following regarding some alternative screen modes, which we hope are going to be included.

What is interesting is that we can play through HDMI, but there will be different modes of how we will see the screen – a mode simulating the retro aspect of our old CRT screens, there will be a mode which can be at the resolution of the modern screens in 4:3 format, and a pixel perfect mode which will display each pixel as a square, so people can have fun with this too.

Occasionally details from interviews like this can be a little off base, but we reckon the odds are high that features like these will be present in the upcoming mini NES.

As mentioned above, there's little reason why the system won't have these sorts of options - which tempts you the most?

Full article from NintendoLife: http://www.nintendol...t_display_modes

• MaximumRD likes this

#54 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

When you have websites doing comparison features of unreleased hardware (Scorpio Vs Neo VS NX)...you just know the days of proper research are long, long gone, espically when they only ran similar articles a few weeks before.

Over here seen Nintendo used in scaremongering front cover type articles...

N64 dead, then GameCube being pulled from UK High Street Stores etc.

But then PS3 fared little different..Wahh Activision going to drop platform..yet went onto do MW2, Black Ops 1,2 plus all the DLC, Destinty etc etc.

It gets real tiresome.

None of us are ever going to change it, ALL you can do is put information out you know with a degree of certainty is as correct as it can be and let folks decide for themselves which is true...

If a magazine would rather paint a version of history to suit advertisers needs? sure you can same content if not more, FREE online....

If they are using writers who think YouTube, Wikip and creating fabrications, part quoting etc to suit personal bias are respectable tools, stop buying the mag..you won't change anything, but at least your not funding such poor standards.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 08 August 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#55 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:28 PM

The Mini Famicom has been announced for Japan, and it looks amazing:

• MaximumRD, RickR, Arenafoot and 5 others like this

#56 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,321 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:38 PM

Oh man now that looks awesome if i could i would buy that over the mini NES any day.

Anyone have any friends in Japan?
  • Arenafoot likes this

#57 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,002 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:54 PM

Oh man now that looks awesome if i could i would buy that over the mini NES any day.

Anyone have any friends in Japan?

totally agree.  I'm sure we'll be able to order it on-line. 

#58 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 609 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:12 AM

Really can't wait until they do this for the SNES as well and we can get the Japanese Famicon in mini form! =D

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#59 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:15 PM

Here's a new "features trailer" Nintendo released earlier today for the US Version of the NES Classic Edition. It includes a nice look at the UX:

From Nintendo:

Whether you have fond NES memories or want to introduce yourself and your kids to the video games that made Nintendo a household name, you’ll love the compact and attractive console. The hub of the NES Classic Edition is the HOME Menu, which can be used to access all 30 of the classic NES games. From here, you can adjust various settings or just dive into a game and start playing. To help locate games quickly and easily, you can press the Select button to sort by title, two-player games, recently played games, number of times played, release date and publisher.

To make sure every Goomba stomp looks as authentic as possible, all games can be played in three display modes. With the CRT filter, a scan-line effect is added to the screen to give everything that oh-so-retro look and feel. 4:3 is a sharp, clean look that adheres to the original aspect ratio used by the NES. And when playing in Pixel Perfect mode, every pixel is shown as a perfect square, providing the most accurate representation of the games as they were originally designed.

Retro gaming is defined in part by the search for save spots and the need to enter long passwords, but in practice, those tasks can definitely be a little … um … time consuming. While all aspects of the original 30 NES games are intact, Suspend Points have been added to streamline the experience of playing them. At any point during gameplay, simply press the console’s Reset button to return to the HOME Menu and save a Suspend Point that will let you pick up right where you left off. Up to four Suspend Points can be saved per game, so you can track the progress of multiple players or file away your favorite moments. This is great news for parents, as their kids won’t be able to use the “I’ll be there when I get to the next save point!” excuse any more when dinner is ready.

Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is a little more than a month away! To learn more about the system while you wait for it to launch on Nov. 11 (and to view the list of all 30 playable NES games), visit http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic

• StormSurge and jmjustin6 like this

#60 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:10 PM

RDS Industries has an awesome Deluxe Carrying Case coming out for the NES Classic Edition on November 22, 2016. It's officially licensed by Nintendo and it looks great! You can purchase it on Amazon for $19.99 with free shipping on orders over $49. If you're interested you can check it out here: https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B01LYFRCWF

Attached Thumbnails

• Mini_NES_Classic_Edition_Carrying_Case_1.jpg
  • Mini_NES_Classic_Edition_Carrying_Case_2.jpg
  • Mini_NES_Classic_Edition_Carrying_Case_3.jpg

• GervGirl, LeeJ07, StormSurge and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users