Summer_Pizza_Festival_2019.jpg

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Tetris
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: A-TYPE Game, Level 0
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 23rd, 2019

OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 21st through June 23rd, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: A-TYPE Game, Level 0. This starts you at the beginning and provides a test of endurance where you must try to get a high score by completing as many lines as possible. We are playing the Officially Licensed Tetris published by Nintendo, not the Tengen version.

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: https://forums.atari.io/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 1st Annual Atari I/O Summer Pizza Party! 🍕🍺🕹️ To celebrate Summer we're playing some of the pillar games on our favorite game systems, all weekend long! It's okay if you don't set a new world record, we're just having fun together and sharing scores. You can pick and choose which Squad Challenges to participate in this weekend, you can partake in one and leave the rest, or participate in all of them! If you think Tetris seems familiar, you're not crazy! We played this game about half a year ago in High Score Squad. It's such a smash hit I thought it would be fun to revisit this game for the weekend! ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

NOTE: Our regularly scheduled High Score Squad Challenge schedule will resume on July 1st with a game for Super Nintendo. :nintendo_snes:  Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Tetris.nesTetris.pdf

12 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

The Tengen one should have been the original release.  I thought it was way better than what Nintendo did.  However, any console that got Tetris was a miracle considering the licensing issues during the time.  It's a wonder that anything got this game at all.

Here's a nice comparison between the two:

True Story, back in the day I rented from a store that had an amazing selection of games, I rented Tengen Tetris one day, loved it, a week later I returned to rent it again, I could not find it, I asked the clerk, he said pointed to the Nintendo Tetris, I was thrown off at first and said "Er, no, I don't think that is the one, the one I rented was not made by Nintendo". Long story short, he denied they had, OR EVER HAD any other version, even me clearly stating you DID because I rented it, he was trying (for some reason) to cover so hard "Are you sure it was HERE you rented it?", he absolutely would not budge on it, insisted they never had any other version so I just dropped it. Only years later, when I would come to read articles and info in magazines etc, would I learn the story of TENGEN TETRIS and TENGEN themselves, now I still do not know WHY exactly this occurred, maybe the clerk bought (or stole?) the TENGEN version because he had learned that TENGEN would have to pull sales? Maybe the store was ordered to PULL the game off their shelf? But in either of those cases WHY claim they NEVER had it in the first place? So whatever the reason I can only suspect wrong doing on the clerk or store managers part because of their behavior acting like they were never in possession of the game, like it was some highly illegal item like plutonium or something 😜

Anyways, carry on, was not my intention to disrupt this thread but all this talk about TETRIS, OFFICIAL, TENGEN etc, just brought back that silly memory that comes back whenever I hear the TENGEN name lol. FEEL FREE TO MOVE THIS to OFF TOPIC or perhaps WEIRD STORIES under CLASSIC GAMING or something.......CARRY ON GUYS. 😆😎🍻

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

There's some truth behind the story @Justin mentioned about renting Tengen's Tetris.  The area I grew up in had a chain of video rental stores called Vision Video.  They had the Tengen version of Tetris.  I rented it twice in a row.  It was because of this game I discovered Tengen.  I rented it twice in a row.  I went to rent it a third time and the rental store refused to rent it again.  I asked why?  They did give me an honest answer, though.  If the store wanted to continue to rent out Nintendo games the store had to remove any games that were not licensed by Nintendo.  It was Nintendo's "rule".  That was the answer they gave me.  I asked if it could be purchased to which they answered with a solid no that it had to be sent back to Nintendo to be destroyed.  Such a sad fate for a great game.  That also went for Super Sprint and other Tengen Games that were actually good games.  I'm surprised to learn decades later that some Tengen games survived.  It's why I'm hellbent on finding any Tengen games for the NES I can.  I would still like to know how after the lawsuits Tengen did manage to get a few of their games as official releases.