Squad Challenge - Dr. Mario (NES)

Justin

1 hour ago, greenween said:

It's all good Justin. I'll just play an NES emulator on PS2 or the PC. 🙂

I'm doing emulation on the PC using a program called "JNES".  Because I'm too lazy to go upstairs and find a real cart. 

But I totally agree...join in with an emulator and play the SNES version if that doesn't work out for you. 

Edited by RickR

15 hours ago, RickR said:

I think I'll be competing with him more than anything, as I don't see any way I'm getting a 70k score like @kamakazi20012  For now, I'm trying to break that 10k barrier. 

Geez...I didn't mean to make a score that was impossible for others to reach.  I'm use to seeing scores higher than 70k...I'm use to my score barely making a list.  I'm sorry guys.

7 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Geez...I didn't mean to make a score that was impossible for others to reach.  I'm use to seeing scores higher than 70k...I'm use to my score barely making a list.  I'm sorry guys.

Oh no!  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that at all.  My bad.  Please go for it and go as high as you can.  I'm a beginner.  This game is a challenge for my slow mind.  Hopefully, someone else here can give you some good competition!

A story:  For several years, I have been a volunteer at the big Portland retro gaming show.  I usually get a front-row seat to the Tetris World Championship competition, and it's incredible.  Watching those people who have mastered the game is an amazing sight.  Even though that's another game I stink at, I sure do learn a lot and enjoy watching the best play. 

So please, pour it on.  Get some video if you can (I may learn something :) )  

3 hours ago, RickR said:

Oh no!  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that at all.  My bad.  Please go for it and go as high as you can.  I'm a beginner.  This game is a challenge for my slow mind.  Hopefully, someone else here can give you some good competition!

A story:  For several years, I have been a volunteer at the big Portland retro gaming show.  I usually get a front-row seat to the Tetris World Championship competition, and it's incredible.  Watching those people who have mastered the game is an amazing sight.  Even though that's another game I stink at, I sure do learn a lot and enjoy watching the best play. 

So please, pour it on.  Get some video if you can (I may learn something 🙂 )  

Nothing to be sorry about.  That's just me.  

And I've seen those competitions on YouTube.  I've also seen some Halo and other competitions from more modern games and am dumbfounded by how well those gamers play.  I guess one of my mother's boyfriends was wrong...you can get paid to play games.  I just have never tried to play at that level.  Very impressive.  I've tried to play Fornite and before I could even figure out where I was and where I wanted to go I was taken out of the game with a single shot.  So I don't play those games for that reason.

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

I'm set up but I need to read the instructions.  I tried it without reading them and my score was pathetic.  LOL

I'm glad it's not just me.  You'll get the hang of it I'm sure.  Wipe out the viruses by getting 4 of the same color in a row.  Horizontal or vertical. 

Dr. Mario is like Tetris and Tetris 2...it's a mix of strategy with endurance.  It helps to plan ahead.  During the early levels pay attention to the pill Mario throws and take a peek at the one Mario is holding.  Try to see where to use these 2 in advance.  About like Chess or Checkers; plan your moves at least a few moves ahead.  It also helps to mentally draw a grid so you know how your pills are lining up with the viruses. Try a few slower stages first to get a feel for the game before trying faster levels. 

You guys are doing great!  I'd really like to see you guys put me at the bottom of the scoreboard...and I'm not being sarcastic or or anything.  I'd really like to see you guys bump me down the list.  I know you guys can do it!