Where have you traveled?

Gianna

Hi everyone 🙂

Does anyone enjoy traveling? If so, where have you been? What's your favorite place to visit?

I have been to various different states, and have been to the Bahamas. I enjoy going to Nashville and taking road trips to Illinois (where I'm from) and love going to different museums in Chicago. I haven't been anywhere too exciting besides typical tourist spots (like Key West). I think it would be nice to visit Hawaii sometime!

My favorite places to visit:

Chicago:

Brookfield Zoo

Willis Tower (I went to the 103rd floor Skydeck when it was still the world's tallest building; then called the Sears Tower)

John G. Shedd Aquarium

Museum of Science and Industry

Duluth, Minnesota:

Army Corps of Engineers Marine Museum

The Depot

Edgewater Resort

Bentleyville (during the Christmas months, the City of Duluth gets decked out and creates a Christmas village every year)

Wisconsin:

Madison

Milwaukee (my dad was born there, and my mom lived there when she was a little girl)

Wisconsin Dells

When I lived in Indiana for two years, during that time I visit its capitol city, Indianapolis, for a day. It was fun. I have been in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, South Dakota, and was born in Minnesota, where I have lived for almost forty-four of my almost forty-six years of life. I would not trade that for anything. :O)

Edited by DegasElite

Oh my, lots of places!  I love to travel.  Other countries include Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Belize, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Cuba, all the Lesser Antilles, Dominican Republic, Spain, France, Monaco, Monte Carlo, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, and UK .  In the US I've visited several states as well:  Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Illinois, California, Colorado, Alaska, Texas, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Washington DC, New York, Virginia, Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. I'm from Puerto Rico and I live in Florida.  🙂

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

24 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Oh my, lots of places!  I love to travel.  Other countries include Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Belize, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Cuba, all the Lesser Antilles, Dominican Republic, Spain, France, Monaco, Monte Carlo, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, and UK .  In the US I've visited several states as well:  Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Illinois, California, Colorado, Alaska, Texas, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Washington DC, New York, Virginia, Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. I'm from Puerto Rico and I live in Florida.  🙂

You forgot Oregon for PRGE, where it was so nice to meet you. 

Hawaii is beautiful, Gianna!  Do it!  My wife and I went 18 years ago.  And we want to go back. 

We did Alaska last year, and it was spectacular. 

We have children in Los Angeles and Seattle and a mother-in-law in Vancouver, BC, so we've been almost everywhere along the left coast.

Next trip when this mess is over is probably going to be NY, Florida, or Japan.

I've been to Florida once on a vacation when I was 7 or 8(?).  Went to Disney World which was a lot of fun and then Sea World.  On the way there and back we stopped in Tennessee.  Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville along the way.  Knoxville is where the 1982 World's Fair was.  Nashville had a place called Liberty Land and there was a concert there where I seen Sammy Hagar, Cheap Trick, and someone else I don't remember.  On the way back through we seen another concert.  It was a good trip but I won't go into why that trip was so full of activities.  

I made lots of trips with my family to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO. I use to get season passes every year which was worth it even if you only made two visits per pass.  Silver Dollar City is built on coal mining land with lots of rides, shows, arts and crafts, and food exclusive to that place.  Expensive but the Lumberjack there makes some of the best burgers you'll ever sink your teeth into.  I highly recommend people making that trip at least once in their life.  When you are done there Branson has all kinds of shows and other activities including go-karts, mini golf, helicopter rides, shops, malls...you name it.  

I'd personally like to go back to Arkansas one more time to dig in the Crater of Diamonds at least once.  Out of all of the years I've lived in Arkansas I knew of the place, heard a lot about it, but never made the trip to dig.  I think that it would be fun. 

@BlackCatz40

I love the Brookfield Zoo and the Museum of Science and Industry! I love going to museums. If you go back to Chicago, I would suggest the Field museum. I have been there a few times. It's super interesting and takes all day to go through. To me it'll always be the Sears tower! You're brave going on the skydeck. There's a building directly in front of the Shedd aquarium, on the other side of the street, that is a tall building of condos. My dad knew someone who owned a condo on one of the highest floors, and would allow a few friends to stay there occasionally. My family stayed a couple times and I loved it. I loved how all the rooms had a wall of just windows so you could see the whole city. I don't think I could ever get used to living there, but the view from those windows was tempting lol

@TrekMD I live in FL as well! 

The only thing that I did not like about the Skydeck is the express elevator. It travels at 1,800 ft. per minute, last time I checked the stats. That's 108,000 feet per hour, or over 20 MPH. That is cruising for an elevator, plus it makes my ears want to pop and the deceleration effect makes me want to feel like passing out. But, once up there, my fears ebbed away. I was on Cloud Nine. I conquered the world's tallest building at the time. Eat your heart out, Sir Edmund Hillary! Joking, of course. XD

It was a fun time being up there.

By the way, Hillary was the first man to conquer Mount Everest in the 1950s. I wouldn't dare go that far, though. That is over six miles into the air. Imagine that.

20 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

The only thing that I did not like about the Skydeck is the express elevator. It travels at 1,800 ft. per minute, last time I checked the stats. That's 108,000 feet per hour, or over 20 MPH. That is cruising for an elevator, plus it makes my ears want to pop and the deceleration effect makes me want to feel like passing out. But, once up there, my fears ebbed away. I was on Cloud Nine. I conquered the world's tallest building at the time. Eat your heart out, Sir Edmund Hillary! Joking, of course. XD

It was a fun time being up there.

By the way, Hillary was the first man to conquer Mount Everest in the 1950s. I wouldn't dare go that far, though. That is over six miles into the air. Imagine that.

Man.  That was about like that Sunsphere in Knoxville in 1982.  Long way up, and nothing between you and falling other than some gold tinted glass.  It had a gift shop and restaurant inside.  Pretty cool actually.

Being from NYC, I've visited the cities along the Northeast Corridor: Boston (though only once for a school field trip), Philadelphia, Baltimore & DC several times. I've also visited Miami, (my girlfriend & I were on vacation there a year ago this week) Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Las Vegas, San Diego, San Francisco, & Seattle.

In Canada: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa.

I visited Costa Rica back in 2013 for my friend's bachelor party.

We vacationed in Cabo San Lucas two years ago.

The only person in my immediate family that has traveled outside of the country is my father. He has been to Ireland, Germany, Spain, and Canada. He was stationed in Europe when he was in the Army during the Vietnam War. In fact, he did guard duty in Munich during the Cold War. His station was put on full alert when the Soviets moved into Prague (then Czechoslovakia) in, if I remember correctly, 1968. I think that they moved in to quash a pro-democracy demonstration there. I think that was it, but it was before my time, since I was born in 1974. So, I could be wrong. Myself, I have never been outside of the country. Not yet, anyway. :O)

Edited by DegasElite

On 5/28/2020 at 10:53 PM, BlackCatz40 said:

I have never been outside of the country. Not yet, anyway. :O)

If I was to visit outside of the USA I'd have to visit Japan.  Something about it and its people I am attracted to.  That and I'd like to see the vending machines they have.  Their vending machines make ours look primitive.  A machine that serves a hot toasted sandwich with ham and cheese.  I learned toasto sando (i think that's right) in Japanese from watching vending machine videos lol. 

I'd also like to find a Hard Off shop to browse their Junk section of video game stuff to bring back and to fix up to add to my collection.  Either a Famicom, Twin, PCE, or Saturn.  Something we don't have here (their Saturns got games we didn't get here and did well) and a few games to test them with.  I'd look for a Famicom for sure because I like the cartridges on that system and how colorful they are.  

Then I'd like to see what real Ramen tastes like.  I don't like fish or seafood so I'd probably starve there if there wasn't anything else to eat.  I hear the convenience store breaded pork sandwiches are really good.  

On 5/28/2020 at 10:53 PM, BlackCatz40 said:

He was stationed in Europe when he was in the Army during the Vietnam War. In fact, he did guard duty in Munich during the Cold War. His station was put on full alert when the Soviets moved into Prague (then Czechoslovakia) in, if I remember correctly, 1968.

Vietnam was a war that we really didn't need to be involved in.  And it gave our soldiers over there a bad reputation.  I wonder if your father knew my grandpa who was also a Vietnam War vet?  He passed away in 1991 unfortunately and he never liked to talk about his time in that war.  Ancient Orange ended up taking him away but not until he was in his 70's.

12 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Vietnam was a war that we really didn't need to be involved in.  And it gave our soldiers over there a bad reputation.  I wonder if your father knew my grandpa who was also a Vietnam War vet?  He passed away in 1991 unfortunately and he never liked to talk about his time in that war.  Ancient Orange ended up taking him away but not until he was in his 70's.

Did your grandfather get stationed at Fort Ord, CA, or Fort Dix, NJ around 1966? My father was stationed in both those places in the Army.

7 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Did your grandfather get stationed at Fort Ord, CA, or Fort Dix, NJ around 1966? My father was stationed in both those places in the Army.

I have no clue...he never said.  When asked he wouldn't answer.  The only other person that would possibly know passed as well.  I don't think any of my Mom's siblings would know.  He lived in Arkansas.  I have no clue where he was stationed.  It wouldn't be public information would it?

I was a big fan of The Grateful Dead when I was younger so I traveled a lot between '89-'95. So pretty much the entire south east and up to NY. Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin. Finally went to Colorado in 95 and have called it home ever since. Did move back to NC for a few years, but Colorado was calling. I hope to end up in Oregon or Washington in the next few years. 🙂

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."