Favorite Zelda game?

HDN

1 minute ago, socrates63 said:

I have never played a Zelda game 😮 although I do have the ones for 3DS, GameCube, and Wii. Which one should I play first?

Which ones do you have? There are several for each console. If you have Link Between Worlds for 3DS play that first as it's a half-remake, half-sequel to Link to the Past, which is the right answer. Otherwise I heard Wind Waker for GameCube is good, and they made a remake of Ocarina of Time for 3DS, which is very loved (the n64 at least. I don't know about the remake).

4 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

I recently got a SNES. I guess I need to pick up Link to the Past.

Switch

• Breath of the Wild
  • Link's Awakening

GameCube

• Wind Waker
  • Four Swords Adventures

3DS

• A Link Between Worlds
  • Majora's Mask 3D
  • Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Tri Force Heroes

My sister is the Zelda nerd of the family. She recommends OoT 3D to play first, then Majora's Mask 3D. That one is much harder, she says, but uses the same engine, so if you play Ocarina first you will get more used to it.

Here's what I think: If you have Link to the Past on switch, play that one first. The GB version was my first Zelda game. I would say it is second, and Breath of the Wild is third. BOTW isn't much like the other games in the series, but it's a really good game and a true adventure game.

If you have a SNES, pick up the holy trinity of games! In order of importance:

Super Metroid

Super Mario World

Link's Awakening

Have you picked up any games besides NBA Jam TE?

YES might be nostalgia but honestly when I see this question there is only one that comes to the front in my mind, been there from the start on NES and loved the original but that said for me, as cliche as it might be to say mine is also The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on super Nintendo. I tried but I never really got into his adventures once he jumped into 3D on N64 or anything afterwards on Gamecube etc, I looked forward to them and tried them but they just made me appreciate Link to the Past even more. Boring answer, typically my choice is NOT typical or expected but I just could not consider anything else. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

1 minute ago, socrates63 said:

Nope. I bought the SNES, the cheapest I could find, for one purpose -- to run the test cartridge used to calibrate tube TVs. But of course, the darn thing has a legendary library, so I could I not play some Nintendo IP? 🙂

Come to the chat rooms tomorrow night. It's supposed to be that Wednesday Atari chat, but I haven't seen anyone use it since I got here. It could be Wednesday Night SNES Chat instead. We could talk about some good games and the like. I have more SNES games than any other system I own. I know some good ones! What do you think?

5 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

YES might be nostalgia but honestly when I see this question there is only one that comes to the front in my mind, been there from the start on NES and loved the original but that said for me, as cliche as it might be to say mine is also The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on super Nintendo. I tried but I never really got into his adventures once he jumped into 3D on N64 or anything afterwards on Gamecube etc, I looked forward to them and tried them but they just made me appreciate Link to the Past even more. Boring answer, typically my choice is NOT typical or expected but I just could not consider anything else. 

Totally agree.  Was excited when Link Between Worlds came out.  The 3D Link games are good, but could be part of a separate game series and you would never know the difference.  Was hoping the remake of Link's Awakening would be better, but Nintendo botched that.  Ridiculous slowdown of a GB game remake in 2020 blew my mind, and I was not super thrilled with the art style, I was hoping for more of a Link Between World look.

Link to the past is my favorite overall I think. But of the 3D Zelda games my favorite is not well regarded by most fans.

That would be Skyward Sword. 

BOTW is....okay. I'm not jazzed about the weapons breaking on me and the crafting is not something I like having to do. I guess the fact you can kinda go anywhere you want without any actual linearity it cool, but...I simply can't really get into BOTW and I've tried to twice now. 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

This is such a loaded question.

So many of those games are legit masterpieces.

I could never give just one favorite, but a list should suffice.

1. Windwaker definitely, even if I HAVE had to start that darn game three times. Someday, I will beat it. SOMEDAY.

2. Ocarina of Time, even if I did get stuck in the darn Forest Temple. Again, someday, man... SOMEDAY.

3. A Link to the Past, because OMG it's just about perfect.

4. Majora's Mask, the weirdest one of all,

And 5. Link's Awakening. It's a beautiful dream.

Did I forget to mention Breath of the Wild? Dude, that game is gorgeous.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

I am not a huge Zelda fan, but Zelda II is still my favorite. Being a large adventure sidescroller is always something I am up for. Clash at Demonhead is another similar game I love in that vein. :3

I adore Zelda II so much a long while ago I started a demo for the 8-bit PC family. Someday I will do more with it, I got Link able to attack using the missile for his sword extension, and started a character sprite system for the enemies, but never finished yet.

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021