Squad Challenge - Mario Bros. (NES)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Mario Bros
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: GAME B
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST July 31, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between July 15th through July 31st, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing GAME B. This is the advanced challenge setting.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 104th Squad Challenge! We're going back to the beginning of Mario & Luigi's adventure together with Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System! For some early NES players this served as their introduction to the world of Mario and was the first time anybody had heard the phrase "Mario Bros." Mario Bros. features two-player simultaneous cooperative play. PDF Instructions are provided below. It's time to kick back, relax, and knock over some shells with that :pow: button! I hope you guys are ready for a new season of High Score Squad and good luck to everybody participating! THANK YOU FOR PLAYING!

NOTE: We have a supreme lineup of games coming your way for High Score Squad in 2021! Expect a nice mix of classic Atari home console games in the rotation along with games from other classic systems! Here's a look at some upcoming events:

September: An Atari Lynx game

November: A Sega Genesis game

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Mario Bros.pdf

Don't know if I can come anywhere near to 800k (wow), but I'm going to try to live stream it in a few minutes.

I put the link here, so you may be able to watch it live in the thread.

Final Best Score from the Stream: 128,280

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Should have easily broken 100k as I reached the new level with two lives. But... I was passing through the bottom row near the left pipe and a fireball materialized just as I was passing through ☠️ -- a cheap death. Then with my last life, I stupidly hopped off the starting platform onto a 🐢 or something and immediately died again ☠️. Oh well, at least I seem to be getting better.

IMG_0662.JPG.9988271baeb7fcb5ed444935095d7797.JPG

Edited by socrates63

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Everybody!

Congratulations everybody an incredible showing! The original Mario Bros. on NES is as legendary a game as they come, and I hope everybody had fun playing this round! I secured the top spot on in our Final Standings for this Squad Challenge with my score of 823,560 points. I honestly didn't think much of my score at the time. I thought it would be a good score but I was not expecting to win. I remember being anxious about getting close to rolling the score past one million points and not capturing it on video. I will share my score to the Scoreboard, and I think I will revisit this game to achieve a higher score and capture it on video. @socrates63 took 2nd Place with a fantastic score of 129,790 points. The legendary @nosweargamer joined us for this Squad Challenge, taking 3rd Place on our Final Standings with a stellar score of 128,280 points! @Gianna came in strong with a 127,510 point game to claim 4th Place. @TrekMD takes 5th Place with 89,800 points, @RadioPoultry is in 6th with 78,010 points, and @RickR rounds out our Final Standings with an impressive 65,870 Points. Tremendous showing, everybody!

It's nice to see some familiar faces joining us for this Squad Challenge. As always I'd like to encourage everybody to post your high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! As I said above I'll be sharing my score in the Scoreboard, and continuing this challenge to achieve a higher score on video. And a big congratulations to our community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun playing Mario Bros. on NES!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is for the Sega Master System! Be there!

large.final_standings_nes_mario_bros.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif