Atari 5200 - Games Wished For

Atari 5200 Guy

First and foremost...this is NOT a way to get games I am after.  Please read before making an assumption.

I've spent the past few days on my 5200 and its library of games in my collection.  As I was playing I got to thinking back to all those ads that mentioned a few games I never could find and compared that to the games I have now.  After seeing what I had to choose from I think I have most of what I had before along with those I heard about.  I also have a few I never knew were ever made for the 5200.

And so I started thinking about games I am still missing and came up with 5 games.  They are:

• Gyruss
  • Star Trek: SOS
  • Star Wars: RotJ Death Star Battle (yea...I didn't know about this one)
  • Dreadnaught Factor
  • Wizard of Wor

I consider my collection very satisfactory.  I don't necessarily have to find those 5 games.  If I never found another 5200 game in the wild or elsewhere it would be no big deal.

So, to give this conversation a bit of interest, I'm curious. Not counting the AtariMax carts, if you have/wanted any 5200 game carts, which ones would they be?  Is your current library of games missing that one title you wish you could find?  I'd like to hear about it.  Please tell.

Only Bounty Bob Strikes Back is the last major big grail I need for the 5200 collection. But I've resigned myself to the fact that isn't likely to ever happen.

Of the games you listed, I do consider Dreadnaught Factor and Wizard of Wor to be really good! The stock controller is really good in Dreadnaught Factor in fact. For Wizard of Wor you have to remember that all versions of this game followed the arcade control panel setup so you actually play with the controller in port 2 for a single player game. Since the arcade had player 1 on the right and player 2 on the left. All ports of the game follow this control method and it can be confusing if you don't know that at first!

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Sadly, the 5200 'brew scene isn't nearly as prolific as the other systems. I only own a few 5200 'brew games being Koffi Yellow Kopter, and Adventure II. 

The more impressive games for the system are those games that were completed back in the day but never actually released. Like Blaster and The Last Starfighter.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Let me just say all the recent 5200 threads definitely reminded me about my own collection packed away like so much of it but also, if you’ve seen my other thread about setting up my own little retro gaming corner well, I think I definitely need to make some time and add some 5200 playtime and appreciation. Been meaning to post in the other related threads but since I just now located the system and games I had stored away I figured I would just make he one big post here.

First, apologies for the lazy way I have laid everything out, My wife is currently attempting to sleep at 1am while just a few feet away in our laundry room with the door closed I shuffled through these boxes to set up these pictures all while trying to be quit and likely failing miserably. Since my buying and collecting is at a halt for some years now I cannot say, we’ll I better not 😆as far as games I still want or are missing. I had gotten a huge lot of the console and games probably 10 years or so ago. Later, one of the first things of course was getting an early Atarimax USB flash cart as I figured that would cover me for other games I might want to play. HOWEVER, looking through it just now I got to say overall it’s not to bad a collection of original carts? Definitely some titles like Vanguard I would have wanted anyways and I think even a couple the op mentioned. Really, as far as original cart collections I forgot that this is one of my better ones until I pulled it all out of storage 👍

Also shown a variety of manuals, some catalogs and such, also controller overlays, many are doubles and I thought that was all of them but as I was sorting through I noticed many carts already have an original overlay tucked in the back of them. I am quite pleased with the overall condition especially of the 5200 still having the plastic on the silver label and specially the back storage cover is intact. It’s an original 4 port with the odd power passthrough from box as well I have two original power supplies but see one has heat shrink wrap near the end of the connector so I will stick with the other one. I do know it is compatible with the 2600 add on as well as all 5200 games because it had the fix applied. At some point since it never came with a controller I got one of the original 5200 controllers from BEST ELECTRONICS with the gold contacts inside and a member on atariage, was creating his own db9 pc controller adapter that allows me to plug in both an original controller and PC CONTROLLER SIMULTANEOUSLY, it’s not pretty but I recall it working back when I originally tested it. Pretty sure I picked up the Gravis pc joystick back during my thrift shop days and though we’ll, this is the one to go with my 5200 🧐

So there is my massive post on it, sorry for the novel but I been building up to it and had to find time to put everything together take the pictures as well as have the motivation which comes and goes so easily these days. 🤷🤟

EA06882A-3F5F-4774-8FB4-24987C20CF52.jpeg

D8ABECB2-E210-4F8E-B145-285A294D5E75.jpeg

7FA0B1B0-4856-4F9A-8D7A-7E8AB2B7A76D.jpeg

AB5074F6-B30A-452F-B262-7CA2F66153D6.jpeg

A2B984A8-6D20-4124-B7BD-7DA646FB6671.jpeg

BA6E6A10-0BB0-4CDE-A278-6CFC0B61434A.jpeg

Edited by MaximumRD
Additions

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I replied in your AA thread on this as well. That appears to be a later made 4-port that hovers just between the Atari Inc and Atari Corp timeframe. Many of the Atari Corp made 4-port units I've seen have a newer revision of the 4-port board that has a standard power port on it and works just like the 2-port does without the need for the special switchbox. My guess is that you have one that was made at the tail end of the Atari Inc era or right at the beginning of the Atari Corp era when they putting together whatever they had on hand. Also interesting to see the plastic on your silver strip on the console is clear? I have a mint 5200 4-port in the box that has the piano finish plastic on it and the plastic protection over the strip is pink like it is on your controller.

It being a later made 4-port would also explain why it has the VCS adapter fix built into it. I assume it has an " * " on the serial number label on the bottom?

BTW the power supply with the shrink wrap I would likely trust more than the non shrinked one. Why? Because that cord obviously frayed and had to be repaired. The shrink if done properly, would isolate the repair properly to prevent shorts and would provide additional strength to that end of the plug to prevent fraying in the future. BTW the 5200 PSUs have a slow blow fuse in them so in most cases, a short in the system or the power in general will cause the fuse to go and it can be replaced out. Not always easily though as some of the newer PSUs were sonically welded while earlier 5200 PSUs (Those that came with 4 port units) have screws to open them up.

Awesome Crossbow 😮 thanks so much for your reply and all that additional info! I I’ll keep it in mind! Yes, the cover and front does have nice a textured feel and indeed the label reads Atarimax Inc ! I will reply with the label on AA AS WELL  so feel free to ignore or whatever, when I make the effort for such a post I like to share on several sites and platforms and tailor it accordingly. Thanks again, so glad I posted now 👍🙂

DE135D7D-D650-40B7-9A2D-5F13F2E4B240.jpeg

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I was very late to the 5200 party myself. I didn't get my first 5200 until the early to mid 2000s. I only knew one kid growing up that had a 5200 and he was several years older than the rest of us and honestly a real jerk. So yeah, didn't know him well and didn't care to. So my first experience with the 5200 and 8-bit systems in general wasn't until emulation when I found out just how awesome Star Raiders and Rescue on Fractalus were. I can't recall the emulator at the time but it was likely Atari800win or something along those lines. Anyway, found a 5200 at the local flea market one weekend for like $20 that had 2 controllers, PSU, and the switchbox. The switchbox didn't work and I was able to repair it when I found a blown transistor inside it. (Likely caused from plugging it in while already powered or using the wrong PSU on the box). Then of course I had to fix the controllers and that is when I came up with using some left over bits of a sticker sheet my kids had. It was foil stickers and I checked and found the foil was conductive and... here we are today. I believe I'm still using both of those controllers to this day although I did have to replace out the 5200 about 5 or 6 years later when that original one just up and died for no reason. That original board has since gone on to provide parts to keep other Atari and retro systems alive.

The 5200 is my second favorite Atari console next to the 7800.

1 hour ago, MaximumRD said:

Awesome Crossbow 😮 thanks so much for your reply and all that additional info! I I’ll keep it in mind! Yes, the cover and front does have nice a textured feel and indeed the label reads Atarimax Inc ! I will reply with the label on AA AS WELL  so feel free to ignore or whatever, when I make the effort for such a post I like to share on several sites and platforms and tailor it accordingly. Thanks again, so glad I posted now 👍🙂

DE135D7D-D650-40B7-9A2D-5F13F2E4B240.jpeg

I'm not 100% on this, but when you see the Asterisk at the beginning along with those stamped numbers, I'm pretty sure that means the VCS fix was done during the production of the console by Atari. If it had been modified with the 'fix' after production, then the Asterisk is usually stamped at the end of the SN by itself as it was then done by an authorized Atari service center. So yeah, I would say that is a later made 4 port where Atari applied the VCS fix themselves before putting it out on the shelf to be sold.

Very cool! You have VCS adapter or plan to actually use one?

On 10/22/2021 at 11:36 AM, CrossBow said:

Very cool! You have VCS adapter or plan to actually use one?

Besides the Trak-Ball which I forgot to mention of even show which I also have in very nice condition YES in fact I DO have the 2600 VCS adapter.

Funny, enough I actually have TWO, one mostly untouched, well besides adding some faux Woodgrain style mactac vinyl on it 😏, the second, heavily modified by someone more skilled than I to not only work as normal plugged into the 5200 but ALSO operate as it's own stand alone 2600 compatible console with a separate power supply and composite / S-video outputs! But that's another story and I am guessing at this point I should probably stop there and let this thread get back to the OP's original topic of "Atari 5200 - Games Wished For" 🤔😀

Sorry for derailing too much Atari 5200 Guy 😏

If I think of anything else I will be sure to continue in my own thread, perhaps continuing my Retro Gaming Corner setup. Thanks again everyone, I should probably go get some sleep......

- M. Bison

6 hours ago, Justin said:

The Atari 7800 is my all-time favorite video game system in the known universe! You should give it a try @- Ω - ☺️ :atari_7800:

Well, about the only way that would ever happen is if someone sent me a 7800 unit for free (including shipping) anong with a multi-cart full of games, and paid for return shipping on a TI-99/4A unit.. cause I'm outta room.  And since THAT will never happen, I'll never know the pleasure that can be obtained from a 7800.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On 10/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, Justin said:

The Atari 7800 is my all-time favorite video game system in the known universe! You should give it a try @- Ω - ☺️ :atari_7800:

Food Fight is what first got me interested in the Atari 7800. I built this Atari 7800/Genesis hybrid twin stick. It consists of 2 Sanwa JLW joysticks. The buttons are Crown SDB-202MX with Cherry micro switches. The first stick has a Sega MK-1470 6 button controller PCB with the Edladdin Seagull 78 adapter attached. The second stick has an Edladdin Easy 78 PCB. The ball tops are Kinu rubber coated and they feel great. Dual stick games like Robotron 2084 and T:me Salvo play wonderfully. The case is made from and old oak TV tray and the back of an old corkboard.

Twin Stick Genesis-Atari 7800.jpg

⚠️ THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT:
https://forums.atari.io/topic/6133-my-secret-identity-is-known-as-astomiman-destroyer-of-worlds/

39 minutes ago, intellicolecovisonary said:

Food Fight is what first got me interested in the Atari 7800

Food Fight is probably my favorite game on the 7800, hands down one of my favorite Atari games of all time!

40 minutes ago, intellicolecovisonary said:

I built this Atari 7800/Genesis hybrid twin stick.

Looks great! I need one!

About 10 years ago I discovered the Atari 7800 after I turned an OG Xbox into an emulation/MAME machine and played Food Fight for the 1st time emulated, but it is no comparison to playing on a real Atari 7800 through my 36" Trintron CRT and S-Video using DRC mode which doubles both horizontal and vertical lines. I have my Colecovision hooked up to coaxial and it too looks great especially in DRC mode. I love my Sony WEGA FD Trintron KV-36XBR450.

3 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Nice homemade stick! 👍

I have built a few. Here are the MitchStick 8-Ball Edition for the Sega Master System, the MitchStick Van Gogh Edition for the PS1 and last but not least, the all leaf switch MitchStick Super CV Edition for the Colecovision.

MitchStick 8-Ball Edition.jpg

MitchSitck Van Gogh Edition.jpg

MitchStick Super CV Edition.jpg

Edited by intellicolecovisonary
typo

⚠️ THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT:
https://forums.atari.io/topic/6133-my-secret-identity-is-known-as-astomiman-destroyer-of-worlds/

5 hours ago, Justin said:

:pow_big:

If we were to do an Atari 5200 High Score Squad Challenge
of a popular 5200 game, who here would participate?

I'll be totally honest with you, my video game skills SUCK, so there is only a .0001% chance that I'd participate, because I don't want to embarrass myself too badly.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>