Squad Challenge - Cybermorph (Atari Jaguar)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Cybermorph
Atari Jaguar
Controller: JOYPAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Access Code 1008, Player's Choice of any world from Default Screen
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST December 14, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between December 1st through December 14th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Default Player's Choice: Start game with Player's Choice of any world from Default "Select Destination" Screen (Access Code 1008). You can start with any world on that screen you'd like, and play through he worlds in any order you choose.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Check Out Dis Message

Welcome to our 113th Squad Challenge!!! For this Atari Jaguar Squad Challenge we're revisiting a game we played this time last year: the Atari Jaguar pack-in title Cybermorph. Every year we like to run bare minimum at least one Squad Challenge for every system in the lineup -- that's why every year you get at least one Sega Genesis game, at least one TurboGrafx-16 game, at least one Atari Lynx game, etc. etc., mixed in with popular and fun titles for the Atari 2600 and Nintendo Entertainment System.

When I woke up this morning (and ever since the beginning of the year) we had a different Jaguar game scheduled for High Score Squad today. I actually had this post almost done! We ran Cybermorph as our first Atari Jaguar Squad Challenge this week one year ago with a respectable turnout, and this year we were going to take things to the next level. I had a decent lineup of Jaguar games in the mix, including smash hits like Tempest 2000, Raiden, Missile Command 3D, and potentially Ruiner Pinball and the Minter Collection. However, not nearly enough of us have Atari Jaguars in our homes ready to play, and even fewer have the same game or easy access to Jaguar Emulation.

So listen up Squad, here's the deal! We're going to be playing Cybermorph again. Are we serving you warmed up leftovers from last Christmas? Hardly. (Cybermorph is top shelf, Vintage 1993!) Cybermorph is a decent game that most Atari I/O Jaguar players have access to. In the meantime Jaguar Squad, LET'S PREPARE FOR NEXT YEAR! You have the next 365 days and counting to get your paws on Tempest 2000, Raiden, the Minter Collection, or Ruiner Pinball.

Last year when we played Cybermorph @Sabertooth won our Squad Challenge, and we had a decent little turnout for the Jag with @btbfilms76 @Justin @Gianna @RickR and @socrates63 joining Sabertooth in the action! Let's see if we can get everyone back together this year, and invite other Squad members like @CrossBow and @Atari 5200 Guy to join us who might also have access to this game! Will Sabertooth take the top spot again, or will a new challenger rise!?

Cybermorph came packed in with the Atari Jaguar upon it's release, and despite there being more "killer apps" on the Jaguar that eclipse Cybermorph in gameplay and graphics, it remains one of the Atari I/O Team's favorite games to play at Christmas time. Nothing gets me ready for winter like the sound of Cybermorph, the crackle of logs in the fireplace, making holiday meals, and hearing DS9 coming on TV in the other room. @btbfilms76 hosted a Holiday Special featuring Cybermorph which we will share below as an introduction to the game.

Begin your game with the Default "Select Destination" Screen, which uses Access Code 1008. You can start with any world on that screen you'd like, and play through the worlds in any order you choose. Cybermorph was developed alongside the Atari Jaguar (and initially Atari Panther) and was released in November of 1993. For many gamers, Mario 64 was their first introduction to a 3-D open world. For those of us who grew up with the Jaguar through, we got to experience this three years earlier with Cybermorph. The Jag isn't as common as, say the 2600, and emulation support is essentially non-existent. It may be difficult for some of you to join in this Squad Challenge and participation may be lower than we'd like. But for those of you with an Atari Jaguar, Cybermorph is one of the most common games released for the system, so we're playing a game that most Jaguar players will have already gotten their paws on. Instructions are provided below. Good luck to everybody participating! Where did you learn to fly?

NOTE: Our next Squad Challenge will be the 2021 F-ZERO Christmas Challenge for Super Nintendo! Be there!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Cybermorph.pdf

46 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Let's do this!

YESSS LFFFGGGGG 🙌 :wreck-it-ralph:

43 minutes ago, RickR said:

YES!  I've got real hardware AND a manual this time. 

TERRIFIC!!! :atari_jaguar:

43 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'll tell you where I learned to fly, baldy!  Now shush up and tell V'Ger to pound sand. 

large.where_did_you_learn_to_fly.jpg

pure energy 🖖

I'm all for it and I have Cybermorph.  Unfortunately all my gaming gear is packed up and at the new digs.  I hope I'm setup before this challenge ends.  I'm hoping to be completely moved this weekend but it's just me, my small car, my brother in law and his truck doing this...and we have a lot of stuff for just two people.  I'm downsizing while packing what I absolutely can do with out. I'm keeping all video game stuff for sure but downsizing my PC collection (Windows only machines).

If I can get things done I'll setup my Jaguar and join in.

My New High Score: 118,650

I forgot how long a decent game of Cybermorph takes. So many fully-realized worlds to fly 360° around, and explore. You can sit and play for an hour and just be getting started. This was my 2nd attempt this year. I'll definitely give it another go one night soon when I can make the time. Good luck to everyone playing!

IMG_4265.JPG

large.THE_BIG_TIP_OFF-A.gif

Here's a "Hot Tip" for surviving Cybermorph that comes straight out of The Atari Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide:

Is Your Steering Kind Of Crazy?

To avoid oversteering tap the Control Pad Left or Right instead of holding it down. Without a gentle touch of the D-Pad, you can easily overcompensate for your steering and at high speeds veer off into mountains and other objects. This is where analog thumbsticks in 3-D gaming would've come in handy!

This tip comes from The Atari Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide and is discussed at the 4:00 minute mark of BTB's Cybermorph Christmas Episode: https://youtu.be/3nwB6iVGTxk?t=248

Customize The Controls!

You need to feel comfortable with the movement of your ship, and they let you change the controls to whatever suits you best. Do it!

Speed Control

It's important to get used to those two buttons. Use them!

No Time Limit

There's no penalty for taking your time, so do it. Explore! Missed a shot? Come back around and try it again.

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Getting better - 42,150

And lookie at this...it remembered my score from last time!  How does that work?  Does the cart have a battery in it?

It has non-volatile flash memory in it no battery needed...many of the jaguar games do and you have to read the manual to know the right button combo presses to erase the scores and reset it.

Had to do that not too long ago when my Wolf3D cart somehow got some corrupted save data on it and it was causing the demo most to act screwy and wasn't able to pull up previous save files. Kinda sucked because it also meant I had to start over again. 

Tempest is another one I know off the top of my head with internal cart saving of high scores. In one aspect, this was something Atari did right with the jag and was a more expensive option at the time versus using battery backed SRAM. Even the Saturn that came out later didn't have flash ram and required the onboard battery to keep the time/date and save game files. Hence the (requirement I feel) to do the FRAM upgrade mod on those consoles.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, CrossBow said:

It has non-volatile flash memory in it no battery needed...many of the jaguar games do and you have to read the manual to know the right button combo presses to erase the scores and reset it.

I can attest to this amazing feature as when I power up and play Cybermorph, it still shows two names on the Scoreboard "Justin S." and "DAD" and all of our High Scores dating back to November, 1993. How rad is that?! :atari_jaguar:

12 hours ago, Justin said:

large.THE_BIG_TIP_OFF-A.gif

Here's a "Hot Tip" for surviving Cybermorph that comes straight out of The Atari Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide:

Is Your Steering Kind Of Crazy?

To avoid oversteering tap the Control Pad Left or Right instead of holding it down. Without a gentle touch of the D-Pad, you can easily overcompensate for your steering and at high speeds veer off into mountains and other objects. This is where analog thumbsticks in 3-D gaming would've come in handy!

This tip comes from The Atari Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide and is discussed at the 4:00 minute mark of BTB's Cybermorph Christmas Episode: https://youtu.be/3nwB6iVGTxk?t=248

Clearly, I'm no expert.  But I think I have a few tips to share.

• Customize the controls!  You need to feel comfortable with the movement of your ship, and they let you change the controls to whatever suits you best.  Do it!
  • Speed control - It's important to get used to those two buttons.  Use them!
  • No time limit - there's no penalty for taking your time, so do it.  Explore!  Missed a shot?  Come back around and try it again.