Squad Challenge - Bomberman '93 (TurboGrafx-16 / Duo)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Bomberman '93
TurboGrafx-16 / Duo
Controller: TURBO PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Normal Game
Play on: Real Hardware / Mini Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST February 28, 2022
Nominated by: @Gianna

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between February 15th through February 28th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Bomberman '93 using "Normal Game" Difficulty, which provides for the standard Bomberman gameplay and level of difficulty. Continues and Passwords are allowed. TurboSwitches may be set to Player's Choice. (Our recommended setting is to set both TurboSwitches in the down position.)

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 118th Squad Challenge!!! BOOM!! For this challenge we're playing the incredible Bomberman '93, released late in the TG lifespan for the TurboGrafx-16 and newly released TurboDuo. Special thanks to @Gianna for nominating this game for High Score Squad! Bomberman is an absolute gem from the 8-Bit era, with simple, challenging gameplay, lots of mind-bending logic puzzles, fun characters and environments, and of course lots of explosions! Bomberman became incredibly popular on the Nintendo Entertainment System, but it was the TurboGrafx-16 version that brought about a more polished game with detailed, arcade-like graphics and sound. The original Bomberman was released for the TurboGrafx-16 in 1991 on HuCard format, which was able to be played on the standard TurboGrafx-16 console and TurboExpress portable. When the more advanced TurboDuo console was released in 1992, one of it's pack-in titles included Bomberman as an unlockable Easter Egg. It was one of my personal favorite games to play for the system!

The original Bomberman was followed up with Hudson Soft’s reimagined, more powerful sequel that takes everything fun about the original and increases it two-fold, to create a blast of a puzzle game that could boost sales of the TurboGrafx-16 and the new TurboDuo. Evil Bomberman and six of his cronies steal the 7 vital chips from the Pan-Galactic Mother’s supercomputer. This causes the computer to shut down and now it’s up to you to chase Evil Bomberman across a galaxy of planets and save the day! Bomberman ’93 was one of the most anticipated releases in the later era of the TurboGrafx-16 and featured some of the most appealing Bomberman graphics of all time!

Bomberman ’93 exploded on the scene with advertisements appearing in video game magazines like GamePro and Electronic Gaming Monthly, and promotions appearing in Toys R Us, Babbages, Software Etc. and FuncoLand. Bomberman ’93 is one of the best Bomberman games on the TurboGrafx and PC Engine, and proved to be more than a worthy follow up to the original game. Puzzle games really shine on TurboGrafx-16 and I hope you will all enjoy this one! We last saw Bomberman in High Score Squad when we played the original TG16 Bomberman in High Score Squad during May of 2016. In my opinion Bomberman really shines in all forms on the TurboGrafx-16 and is even better than the original on the NES. ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating. Let's explore one of the most fun TurboGrafx-16 and Duo titles! Can you BOMB your way to the top?! :mac_bomb:

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Bomberman_93.pdf Bomberman_93.pce

24 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

This gave me an excuse to try out PC Mode on the Atari VCS. I'm playing this using RetroArch by way of LaunchBox. Everything is on a bootable USB stick plugged into the VCS.

20220216_161018.jpg.832ad90ebe266427327b4419945de500.jpg

Now that is super cool! I hope you'll be able to jump in more of these TurboGrafx-16 Squad Challenges.

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Played in a TurboGrafx-16 Squad Challenge!"

Atari 5200 Guy was awarded the badge 'Turbo Squad' and 10 points.

Found an emulator. This is my highest score so far. I saved my game using the in-game save feature.  I'd like to try to beat this one.  Love Bomberman!

Forgot to mention (thank you edit button): Played on PC using Ootake emulator and XBOX Elite 2 controller.

IMG_20220219_190005.jpg

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

2 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Tip 1:  Don't place bombs next to exit portal!  It will spawn more enemies, keeping you from exiting the level. I learned this one the hard way.

Or, if you're feeling risky, PLACE a bomb at the exit portal if you think you have enough time on the clock to defeat them and exit. Extra enemies = Extra points.

49 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Or, if you're feeling risky, PLACE a bomb at the exit portal if you think you have enough time on the clock to defeat them and exit. Extra enemies = Extra points.

I only mentioned that because I didn't understand what I was suppose to do.  I didn't realize I was bombing the exit portal and I was trying to advance to the next level.  I finally figured it out.  So if you are trying to advance the game you might want to combine the two tips.